HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 6:07 AM
Sentence fragments!

Location: Asheville, NC - "Home of the Pernicious Poem Place"
Asheville neighborhood of the month: Aristotle is my homeboy

For the record "March in April" is not nearly as big a deal as, say, "Christmas in July" or some such. However, nearly every day that I had off in March, it either rained, I was laid low with allergies, or got called in to work overtime. And so, I couldn't go out and get any pictures for March -- and so here they are now.

As usual, let's examine what's going on in the area today.

Which neighborhood are we exploring, you ask. What kind of neighborhood is it?

It's a suburb. A beautiful suburb, actually. See, it says it right there on the sign.

And so here we have Norwood Park in April, although we're going to pretend it's March. It felt like March today, at any rate. It was 50 degrees, drizzly, and windy. Brrr.

Just like the sign says, Norwood Park was laid out in 1914, and it's significant in that nearly every structure put up initially is still standing. It's bounded roughly by Coleman, Merrimon, Farrwood, and Kimberly avenues. I'm not sure, but I believe it may have been yet another one of those communities that existed outside municipal boundaries, with only the governance of...

...to guide it. Then, as they did with Biltmore Village, Oteen, Montford, West Asheville, and Victoria, among others, the city of Asheville came roaring up and annexed it.

I began my exploration here.

This was across the street.

Norwood Avenue.

More Norwood than you know what to do with!

Lots of bicyclists were afoot.

If bicyclists can be said to be afoot, of course.

What kind of lights are those strung from the porch, you ask?

These.

This small cluster of commercial structures is located on Merrimon Avenue, in a tiny neighborhood of its own called the Woolsey Dip. A microneighborhood, if you will. The cluster is smaller these days ever since an old lady ran her car into the central building, and the entire thing collapsed.

Back to the housing.

These mandala-like things are a sure sign that a house in Asheville is inhabited by hippies. However, when I took this picture, a well-dressed lady came barging out to ask why I was taking pictures of her house. Perhaps she was a hippie in transition.

Afoot!

I rather like the terrain of this part of town.

With greenery...

And for a change of pace, let's go next door and try it with flowers.

A 1930's apartment building stands alone against the tide of historic houses.

These houses along Kimberly Avenue may actually technically be part of the Grove Park neighborhood. I don't care.

Afoot -- the bastards are inescapable!

One of the new wings of the Grove Park Inn surveys the scene from its perch on the side of Sunset Mountain.

Now the historic Main Inn of the Grove Park Inn pokes its head in to see what the ruckus is all about. The houses on Kimberly ask it to describe the ruckus and it is unable to do so.

This lady was talking to someone on her Bluetooth, and it made me long for the days when you could immediately tell who might be insane by whether or not they were holding a conversation with the empty air.

Bamboo.

Asheville residents are issued a selection of bumper stickers upon establishing residence in the city. I figure that must be the case, because there are as many cars with stickers like these on their bumpers as there are houses and apartments draped with mandala-thingies.

A very vocal and adamant group of city residents lobbied for their right to keep chickens, as well as beehives, at their homes inside the city limits. They won.

Downtown is somewhere off that way.

And it was back to Weaver Park.

Our next stop is just across Merrimon, and frankly I'm not sure exactly what neighborhood this is in. It was built in the 60's, and the streets immediately around it seem to date from that era, although there are also plenty of older homes mixed in among them. Is it the northern edge of Montford? Is it Norwood Park? Is it something else altogether?

Whatever it is, it's the University of North Carolina at Asheville.

A word about UNC-A. It began in 1927 as Buncombe County Junior College. In 1930, it merged with the College of the City of Asheville to become Biltmore Junior College. It changed names in 1934 to become Biltmore College, and again in 1936 when it became Asheville-Biltmore College.

The school bounced around the city during this time. For a while, it even occupied Seely's Castle, one of three castles in Asheville, up on the top of Beaucatcher Mountain. Then, in 1961, it settled down here, where it's been growing ever since. It's the liberal arts university for the state university system, although it's also known for its meteorology program.

Princeton it ain't. These are some of the dorms.

*hisses* Bicyclists!

As you can see, there is no unifying style of architecture to the campus, and there's also an odd melding of 1960's blandness, with natural forms. In addition to all that tan brick for instance, there's lots of stone.

Welcome to the Highsmith Student Union building. There's a surprise inside...

These flags, and they run the length of the building so this is just a small sampling, show all the nations that students of UNC-A hail from.

And here is the surprise.

This reproduction of Raphael's School of Athens measures 40 by 37 feet, and was painted by university faculty and students.

Note the bulldogs on the bottom left. UNC-A's mascot is Rocky the Bulldog.

Moving along now.

Onward to Ramsey Library!

A lovely mural over one of the reference desks.

What does it depict?

Asheville: We're creepy, we're morbid, and we're damned proud of it!

Other artworks in the library include a selection of marble statues and busts.

While some of the statues are relevant to the literary pursuits you might expect in a library, others mystify the library staff. The pointed out that they have no idea who this statue might be of, and asked me to venture a guess. My gut feeling is the Wife of Bath from the Canterbury Tales. Really though, your guess is as good as mine.

And back out into the cold.

Who doesn't enjoy a musical about wee?

The obligatory squirrel. No photo thread is complete without one.

This is the third in a series of article on family happiness. The next article will appear in next month's edition.

Previous articles in this series:

Five Points and Chestnut Hill in February: Boobs, squid, and the Blair Street witch project

Downtown in January: Assorted hideous beasts, attractively arrayed

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Apr 12, 2009 at 6:26 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 7:56 AM
Bombshell Vintage

Lovely tour, hauntedhead. Looks like a great area, and - as always - you provide some good laughs.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 2:43 PM
no its not...

Wonderful shots of a pretty area

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 7:44 PM
Sentence fragments!

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you liked them.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2009, 8:32 PM

Beautiful homes and photos, thanks!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 11:06 PM
Out of Myself

Nice neighborhood!! Thanks for the photos!!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 1:00 AM
Sentence fragments!

Thanks for your comments.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 5:45 PM
Nuns on the run.

Great set.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 1:20 PM
Red October standing by

charming. especially the apocalypse mural.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 12:04 AM
Sentence fragments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
charming. especially the apocalypse mural.

-
I know! Isn't it the absolute most?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos