HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 8, 2013, 3:57 AM

Random photos

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 6:06 PM

Had a job interview way out in the hills of West Austin (right behind the 360 bridge, which you can see peeking up from behind the parking garage) and when I was walking back to my car I was hit with this view and had to snap a picture. It's so beautiful out there. This picture doesn't do it justice.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 3:52 AM

Here's a few taken from the ACC parking garage today. Man, there's a lot of cranes on the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 4:26 AM
Duck and covfefe

Nice. I'm glad someone was able to get up there. The last time I tried the gates were locked.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 7:59 AM

Just noticed this new Toyota commercial, sorry if it has already been posted. Not my video and the quality is not so good... but I saw it on TV and looked it up on youtube:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 4:44 AM

I went to a birthday party in Pflugerville, and since Capital Metro doesn't go there, I rented a car and decided to keep it the whole weekend so I could drive around and take some photos.

I wish the first one had come out better, but I was driving and trying to take the photo in Friday afternoon rush hour traffic.

The rest are all from Saturday August 3, 2013.

From Barton Creek Square Mall

From IH 35

From the dog park at Norwood Estate

From Grove Blvd

Riverside Drive east of IH35

Lady Bird Lake near Lakeshore Drive

From stairwell at Spaces 2525 - Bluebonnet & S. Lamar

Capitol from Enfield Rd

From TMI Castle

OK, so I've always longed to go out on that old foundation beneath the TMI Castle where the condos were supposed to have built, but never had before. But there was a hole in the chain link fence and I could see several people down there, so I finally got up my courage and went. Most of the other people there were on all different levels painting. I guess they must have been with the Baylor Art Wall or whatever it's called. There were a few people, though, who were obviously just spectators.

I was really hoping I could stay until night fell, but about that time two police officers showed up. They said the owner didn't really like people out there (unless they were with the Hope Foundation) and said we'd have to leave. (I'm not sure if the people painting were with the Hope Foundation or not, but the spectators had to go.) The cops were pretty cool about it, though. They were almost apologetic about asking us to leave, but said a few people in the past had ruined it for everyone. It was all very low-key and friendly. And at least I got to go out there once, so I was happy.

From the stairwell of a nearby condo on W. 12th

From the scenic overlook on Loop 360

Loop 360/Pennybacker Bridge

From Shepherd Mountain

From Mount Bonnell

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Aug 7, 2013 at 5:00 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 6:18 AM
Duck and covfefe

Wow! Great photos and great views. You should post these in the main photo section of the forum. They're really nice.

That's a shame about the TMI Castle view, but I actually think the view from that condo stairwell is better. You can see all the way to the base of Spring.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 6:45 AM

Mike, if this is a result of what happens when you rent a car, then you should rent more often...haven't seen a picture set like this in a while...awesome.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 2:47 PM

Great set. I especially like this one.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 4:17 PM

Very nice pictures sir! Also, looking at these images, the transformation in our skyline is going to be huge. The single biggest impact from west facing views will be 3rd and Colorado. Actually, it will have impact from all angles. It fills that gap in the skyline and will really help tie in the east-west density.

Obviously the Marriott and will make a big impact especially from the east and south-west. The Fairmont will help balance out the westward expansion of the skyline and from western angles, with the help of Van Zandt, tie in Rainey street more. All of the seaholm/replublic square area buildings will help densify the west end of the skyline and make it look less scattered.

Thanks for everyone for all the images. Having all these high quality shots will be a great resource when we can go through the thread and watch the progression of the skyline! I have a new camera that I have taken some pictures on and will see if any of them came out well enough to post. Also, looking at getting a Nokia 1020 so I can have a 41 mp camera in my pocket when I forget my nice camera.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 5:49 PM

Thanks everyone.

Kevin, I posted them and some earlier ones from this year in the My City Photos section.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206868

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Mike, if this is a result of what happens when you rent a car, then you should rent more often...haven't seen a picture set like this in a while...awesome.
Trust me, I'd love to, but when you don't have a car, you don't have insurance. So when you rent one, you have to buy their insurance plus there's all kinds of taxes on top of it. Even though the car was only $19.99 per day, the three day total was $185.00! If my money tree were still blooming, it would be ok, but it died from the drought.

Mighty Yoda - also the Bowie will make an impact on the skyline when viewed from the west. It will fill in the gap between Monarch & Spring. You can see the cranes for it in the next to last photo from Mount Bonnell.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Thanks everyone.

Kevin, I posted them and some earlier ones from this year in the My City Photos section.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206868

Trust me, I'd love to, but when you don't have a car, you don't have insurance. So when you rent one, you have to buy their insurance plus there's all kinds of taxes on top of it. Even though the car was only $19.99 per day, the three day total was $185.00! If my money tree were still blooming, it would be ok, but it died from the drought.

Mighty Yoda - also the Bowie will make an impact on the skyline when viewed from the west. It will fill in the gap between Monarch & Spring. You can see the cranes for it in the next to last photo from Mount Bonnell.

I was going to ask, looking back over the photos, there are two cranes by Whole Foods. Does Bowie have two cranes?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyYoda View Post
Does Bowie have two cranes?
Yes, those two cranes are for The Bowie.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 7:37 PM
Duck and covfefe

And this one is just insane. Where is this? That is such a cool angle of the skyline. Almost every major building is spread out enough that you can see it, but without making the skyline sprawling looking. And you can even see the hills. And I love how the UT Tower stands out like the Empire State Building there. I remember when I was a kid I used to think the UT Tower was the Empire State Building. I was probably 5 years old or so.

This will be a really interesting view to see in a few years. So many new buildings will be visible from this spot. Colorado Tower, the Marriott, The Bowie and 7th & Rio Grande. I think IBC Bank Plaza will probably be hidden by that one. And then there's the towers at Green, the Seaholm apartment tower, Shoal Creek Walk, and the civil courthouse. Those last ones area really going to do a lot to fill in the gaps between the main pack and 360, the Monarch and Spring.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
And this one is just insane. Where is this? That is such a cool angle of the skyline. Almost every major building is spread out enough that you can see it, but without making the skyline sprawling looking. And you can even see the hills. And I love how the UT Tower stands out like the Empire State Building there. I remember when I was a kid I used to think the UT Tower was the Empire State Building. I was probably 5 years old or so.

This will be a really interesting view to see in a few years. So many new buildings will be visible from this spot. Colorado Tower, the Marriott, The Bowie and 7th & Rio Grande. I think IBC Bank Plaza will probably be hidden by that one. And then there's the towers at Green, the Seaholm apartment tower, Shoal Creek Walk, and the civil courthouse. Those last ones area really going to do a lot to fill in the gaps between the main pack and 360, the Monarch and Spring.

IBC will be visible in the bottom picture. You can see the Federal building just to the right of the W hotel.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 8:24 PM

Quote:
And this one is just insane. Where is this? That is such a cool angle of the skyline.

It's from Tokyo Electron at 2400 Grove Blvd

In the satellite view you can see a curved driveway off of Grove that leads up the hill to their offices. I took the photo from their driveway.

Quote:

And these are a couple of views from the same vantage point from September, 2009 - 4 years ago.

A couple of changes in the last 4 years (Austonian and W completed) with more on the way.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 10:54 PM
Duck and covfefe

I guess IBC Bank Plaza will be visible there, but it probably will be partially hidden by 7th & Rio Grande.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I guess IBC Bank Plaza will be visible there, but it probably will be partially hidden by 7th & Rio Grande.
Yah that may be the case though IBC is a fairly long building so I think it will show up at least partially in most views.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 12:50 AM

Here's another cool "before & after" comparison.

Mount Bonnell - April 2008

Mount Bonnell - August 2013

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 5:55 AM

Hey great photos Mike. I had a car when I lived in Austin. I would drive around and see all of those areas where you went to... even East Riverside. Its unfortunate I didn't have a camera at the time...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin