HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 4:44 AM
Hare Expert

Counterfeit Bill

Well this is a first, I happened across what I believe to be a counterfeit $5 bill. I got it either at Sobeys or 7-Eleven, don't really remember which. Anyways, a KFC employee kindly pointed out that it's missing the silver strip, which was the first giveaway. I just looked at it closer, and not only are both the large silver strip (And the accompanying stamp) and the smaller strips on the other side missing, but the entire note is smaller than the typical one (They're all the same) by several millimeters on the long side and a fraction of a millimeter on the short. All the printing is scaled properly, the CANADA at the top is smaller. There's no watermark either. However the braille stamp and the microprint saying "The west block of parliament" are there.

Now the question is if I bother going to the police station to take things from there, or just talk to the cop that's at my school every other day or whenever.

Moral of the story: Check your bills and make sure there's a silver strip.

Pictures come soon.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 4:51 AM
I'm the bear on the right

The older $5 and $10 notes of the new series won't have the holographic/metallic strip. But check here for more info:

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/bankno...cjs_secur.html

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 4:55 AM
Booooring!

and the old $5 don't have the water mark. they had the gold leaf.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 4:56 AM
Hare Expert

I just noticed that. x_x It's still much shorter, only 148mm.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 5:00 AM
Booooring!

do you have a UV or black light available to you? there is writing that is only visible under UV light on the bill.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 5:04 AM

What's the point of going to the police? If you think it's counterfeit, then it probably is. It's only $5 so not really a loss, just throw it out.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 5:08 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
What's the point of going to the police? If you think it's counterfeit, then it probably is. It's only $5 so not really a loss, just throw it out.
And it's likely been in circulation for a long time now. I have a hard time imagining the cops questioning some random 7-11 employee about one out of thousands of bills he's passed out in the past month.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 6:02 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 4:09 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2009, 6:09 AM
Hare Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
And it's likely been in circulation for a long time now. I have a hard time imagining the cops questioning some random 7-11 employee about one out of thousands of bills he's passed out in the past month.
They wouldn't. They didn't bother doing anything when my iPod was stolen by someone whose name I knew, and where they went to school, etc and they sure as hell wouldn't do anything regarding the actual source of this one assuming it's counterfeit. It would be nice to get an official word on it though. "Hmm, yes, this is counterfeit. Now you're under arrest for some reason."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation