HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #141  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 8:14 AM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,019
Just a little more juice for the fire... I dont know about the list, especially the raptors, but look who is number 1.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-5...racted-2010-10

I honestly would not be surprised to see an NBA team back in Vancouver before the end of the decade.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #142  
Old Posted Oct 29, 2010, 4:12 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is online now
formerly tin²ium
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 5,179
The comments are hilarious. The writer didn't know what he was talking about when he included the Raptors on that list.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #143  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 6:29 PM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Just a little more juice for the fire... I dont know about the list, especially the raptors, but look who is number 1.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-5...racted-2010-10

I honestly would not be surprised to see an NBA team back in Vancouver before the end of the decade.
Wow. That's pretty crazy. Not surprised that Memphis tops that list of teams considered potentially to be contracted. Taking the Raptors away would be a stupid move, as the NBA has always wanted to be an 'international' league. What would it say to the rest of the world, if you've contracted your only "international" team? LOL.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an NBA team back in Vancouver again. This time, market it well - to the asian community! Asians seem to love bball. I don't know why. Chinese, East Indians, etc. I wouldn't mind having the Hornets relocate up here to Vancouver Seeing Chris Paul wouldn't be so bad And plus. Having a second tenant in Rogers Arena would be a smart thing. Get it done, Aquilini.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #144  
Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 11:03 PM
BCPhil BCPhil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,714
The only reason people consider contracting Toronto is their inability to attract players. For some reason, the big players are all about image. It's more profitable to be in LA or Miami for extra income. Toronto is Canada, a place many people coming into the NBA know nothing about. Is the BBall court inside a giant igloo? Right now the Raptors are staffed like they are the Mighty Ducks (from the movie), rejects from all the teams who are just happy to have a job playing basketball.

As more Asians, Europeans and Canadians enter the league in all star positions, it will be easier to staff good teams in Canada (Toronto AND Vancouver), as some coming from abroad might prefer to set up home in Canada as opposed to the USA.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #145  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:02 PM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
The only reason people consider contracting Toronto is their inability to attract players. For some reason, the big players are all about image. It's more profitable to be in LA or Miami for extra income. Toronto is Canada, a place many people coming into the NBA know nothing about. Is the BBall court inside a giant igloo? Right now the Raptors are staffed like they are the Mighty Ducks (from the movie), rejects from all the teams who are just happy to have a job playing basketball.

As more Asians, Europeans and Canadians enter the league in all star positions, it will be easier to staff good teams in Canada (Toronto AND Vancouver), as some coming from abroad might prefer to set up home in Canada as opposed to the USA.
Yeah. I understand that the big name players are about image. Don't need to look far to see the BIG THREE in Miami to understand and see how that's true. With that being said, I think Toronto's going about it the right way. They are intentionally drafting and signing international players (as much as they can, that can help them, of course), and also the players who will play hard, and have character. That being said. You can't replace talent, and in order for the Raptors to have any kind of success, they need those big time players. The NBA needs to do a better job of educating their players about Canada. We don't live in igloos, and it's not always snowing here year round

With that being said. If Vancouver ever gets a second chance to being an NBA city. They will have to take Toronto's approach, and search for international talent, and mix that up with Canadians, and American players. I like how Mike Gillis of the Canucks emphasize so much into player development. And I see that the Whitecaps FC will also focus on player development for their youth residency program. The NBA now has a development league too. Should Vancouver get a second NBA team, they need to put a lot of their resources into scouting, drafting - basically - player development. That would bode well for the club in the long run. Here's to hoping that within 10 years (or shorter!) we'd receive an NBA franchise (through relocation). You want more Asian fans? Vancouver's probably the right destination for that kind of exposure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #146  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:36 PM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Just a little more juice for the fire... I dont know about the list, especially the raptors, but look who is number 1.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-5...racted-2010-10

I honestly would not be surprised to see an NBA team back in Vancouver before the end of the decade.
Wow, thats quick.

(This decade ends 2010 Dec 31)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #147  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 8:44 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is online now
formerly tin²ium
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 5,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Wow, thats quick.

(This decade ends 2010 Dec 31)
Depends on if you count cardinally or ordinally... or if you're a programmer... and start your lists with 0.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #148  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:09 PM
jhausner jhausner is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,586
Technically and factually speaking, decades start at the 0 so that means January 1st, 2010 was the start of a new decade much like December 31st, 1990 wasn't the end of the 80s, December 31st 1989 was.

So the end of the last decade was really December 31st, 2009.

The more you know...

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #149  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:51 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is online now
formerly tin²ium
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 5,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Technically and factually speaking, decades start at the 0 so that means January 1st, 2010 was the start of a new decade much like December 31st, 1990 wasn't the end of the 80s, December 31st 1989 was.

So the end of the last decade was really December 31st, 2009.

The more you know...

However... the beginning of the year 10 C.E. marked the end of the 9th year since the end of the 1st year B.C.E.
(Say that aloud). The First decade in the Common Era started 2009 years ago, at the beginning of the year 1 C.E.

In Western culture, when you're born, you're 0 years old ( We don't include the first 9 months because most people don't record the day their child was conceived)

In that sense, the end of your 9th year or beginning of your 10th year marks being alive for one decade.

This is cardinal counting and is how modern mathematics counts.
0.....1.....2......3....

However, some cultures (Korean is one) use the ordinal counting system to count years.

1st......2nd......3rd.....4th.....

This is why we live in the 2000s but in the 21st century. It's all because of that pesky 0 that the hindus invented.


I guess I should be thankful... it would've sucked to have to add MDCCLXVI + MDCCCLXXXVII in school.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #150  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 2:47 AM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
However... the beginning of the year 10 C.E. marked the end of the 9th year since the end of the 1st year B.C.E.
(Say that aloud). The First decade in the Common Era started 2009 years ago, at the beginning of the year 1 C.E.

In Western culture, when you're born, you're 0 years old ( We don't include the first 9 months because most people don't record the day their child was conceived)

In that sense, the end of your 9th year or beginning of your 10th year marks being alive for one decade.

This is cardinal counting and is how modern mathematics counts.
0.....1.....2......3....

However, some cultures (Korean is one) use the ordinal counting system to count years.

1st......2nd......3rd.....4th.....

This is why we live in the 2000s but in the 21st century. It's all because of that pesky 0 that the hindus invented.


I guess I should be thankful... it would've sucked to have to add MDCCLXVI + MDCCCLXXXVII in school.
Google to the rescue:

MDCCLXVI + MDCCCLXXXVII = MMMDCLIII

(highlight the line above to read it - I don't want to spoil the surprise for those of you who are still converting to Arabic, doing your sums, then converting back to Roman)

I was taught that the number 'zero' and the concept of 'zero' wasn't incorporated into western culture until the 1750s, so before then it was '2 BC ... 1 BC ... 1 AD ... 2 AD ...' - there was no concept of 'year zero'. The year the event happened was 1 AD, and the year before was 1 BC, so the first century started 1 AD and ended 100 years later when the second century started in 101 AD; the first Millennium also started in 1 AD, and the second Millenium started 1000 years later in 1001 AD, and the third Millenium started 1000 years later in 2001 AD.

It doesn't help that the popes kept fiddling with the Christian calendar over the centuries, or that the 'definitive' setting of the Gregorian calendar is off by seven years because of mis-calculations made by the Roman Abbot Dionysus Exegines in the 6th Century. Pope Gregory had a hard enough time getting everyone to agree to skip 14 days to fix the calendar (the Eastern Orthodox Church doesn't use the Gregorian calendar - their High Holy days are two weeks after the Western Christians' High Holy days ). Even papal authority couldn't make the calendar skip 7 years too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #151  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 6:50 AM
jlousa's Avatar
jlousa jlousa is offline
Ferris Wheel Hater
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,349
So the Grizzlies will be giving out calenders with season ticket purchases? Otherwise I'm really confused
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #152  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 8:02 AM
Hot Rod's Avatar
Hot Rod Hot Rod is offline
Big City Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Seattle-Vancouver-Osaka-Chongqing-Chicago-OKC
Posts: 931
Get er done.

It is better for the NBA to have a team in Vancouver, where it can be marketed internationally, along with Toronto. The arena is already there and as long as there is common ownership with the NHL, it should be a slam dunk in Vancouver this time.

I totally agree that Vancouver should take the Toronto approach and try to develop players with a DLeague team. Maybe put it in Calgary so they can get some exposure there. (Toronto should put their D-League team in MTL or Ottawa if they have an arena).

The better the NBA is promoted in Canada (and has games in Canada) the better for the NBA. Canada is much easier to get International exposure than America, due to the barriers that exist going to America. Vancouver IS Asia, so put Yao in Vancouver or let a team with a star relocate, have common ownership, and get international players from Asia (China, Japan (if there are any), and Korea) and Europe (Spain and Turkey).

Vancouver is in a MUCH better position than Seattle, and with an arena and committed ownership (which is what we need to work on), it should be a done deal. It also evens things out as far as major league teams in the Northwest (Vancouver - NHL, CFL, MLS, NBA), (Seattle - NFL, MLB, MLS), (Portland - NBA, MLS), (Spokane - AFL). That gives the whole region quite good coverage and no one team has too much competition or canabalism (unlike having the NBA in Seattle did).

The question is, do we return the Grizzlies back home or do we go after a different team? Relocate the Hornets? Relocate the Bobcats (Michael Jordan and Aquilini)? Relocate the Kings? Clippers? Twolves? Hawks? Pacers?

I think they all are in play. Get er dun.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #153  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 8:56 AM
mezzanine's Avatar
mezzanine mezzanine is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,456
Bad idea in 2001, bad idea in 2010.

And I am glad Michael Heisley is still screwing it up in Memphis.

Quote:
Now, being from Vancouver, I am clearly and deeply biased. I am naturally going to be antagonistic towards the carpetbagging boob who came to town and bought the team and promised not to move the team until he did a whole year later.

(Which, as statements in Grizzlies history goes, ranks behind Steve Francis describing his post-draft visit to Vancouver by saying, “I looked up at the mountains to see if I could see any bears walking around,” but ahead of Doug West saying “After I got traded [to Vancouver] I stood at the bar and drank 17 Heinekens.”)


Read more: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2010/...#ixzz14OdmPOV3


Quote:
The team under Heisley's ownership has been rather dysfunctional. The 73-year-old billionaire financier bought the Vancouver, B.C. team for $160 million in 2000 and moved it south a year later to Memphis, Tennessee. The Grizzlies have lost money ever since in each season save one, and tore through eight head coaches and four player personnel chiefs. Over the past four seasons the team has a cumulative winning percentage of .357, fourth worst in the league (among 30 teams), and the lowest attendance, 2.28 million.
Worth $257 million, the Grizzlies are second from the bottom in value and the third most leveraged (with debt 58% of enterprise value). The NBA team average debt to value is 29%.

Heisley has been contemplating his exit for years but can't find a buyer at his asking price of $300 million-plus, including from among his minority partners. Many feel burned by his failed prior attempt to sell the team. Animus among the owners has driven away talented executives. Coaches show little interest in coming.
http://www.forbes.com/global/2010/01...r=contextstory

Last edited by mezzanine; Nov 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #154  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 10:43 PM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,434
^ Aquilini can probably get a bargain, considering Heisley's losing money year in and year out with the team IN Memphis. Having another franchise in Rogers Arena for the other 41 home dates (while the Canucks are away) makes business sense. I think Aquilini will eventually get a team. Look at how he's handling the Canucks as a sports business. Making money. Another NBA franchise may be more challenging, but if Aquilini's as schrewd a business as he seems to be, then he can market this the team out of a fan base that already exists here in vancouver.

I think it'll get done sooner than we realize.

The whole idea of contraction. It just gets worse for Stern, doesn't it? Vancouver is the gateway to Asia, as much as Toronto seems to be the gateway for European players to come play in the NBA.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #155  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 10:46 PM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Get er done.

It is better for the NBA to have a team in Vancouver, where it can be marketed internationally, along with Toronto. The arena is already there and as long as there is common ownership with the NHL, it should be a slam dunk in Vancouver this time.

I totally agree that Vancouver should take the Toronto approach and try to develop players with a DLeague team. Maybe put it in Calgary so they can get some exposure there. (Toronto should put their D-League team in MTL or Ottawa if they have an arena).

The better the NBA is promoted in Canada (and has games in Canada) the better for the NBA. Canada is much easier to get International exposure than America, due to the barriers that exist going to America. Vancouver IS Asia, so put Yao in Vancouver or let a team with a star relocate, have common ownership, and get international players from Asia (China, Japan (if there are any), and Korea) and Europe (Spain and Turkey).

Vancouver is in a MUCH better position than Seattle, and with an arena and committed ownership (which is what we need to work on), it should be a done deal. It also evens things out as far as major league teams in the Northwest (Vancouver - NHL, CFL, MLS, NBA), (Seattle - NFL, MLB, MLS), (Portland - NBA, MLS), (Spokane - AFL). That gives the whole region quite good coverage and no one team has too much competition or canabalism (unlike having the NBA in Seattle did).

The question is, do we return the Grizzlies back home or do we go after a different team? Relocate the Hornets? Relocate the Bobcats (Michael Jordan and Aquilini)? Relocate the Kings? Clippers? Twolves? Hawks? Pacers?

I think they all are in play. Get er dun.
I really cannot see the Kings relocating to Vancouver. The Timberwolves? Perhaps. The Bobcats? Yeah, I can see them relocating to Vancouver as well. The Clippers? I can't see how that team's been there as long as it has. Nothing short of a miracle, if you ask me. They've sucked for years. There is NO WAY the Pacers are going to move (even though there were rumors about Aquilini making a purchase for them..). The Pacers to the NBA are like the Yankees to MLB, and the Canadiens to NHL. There's too much history there. It would look really bad for a team with as much history as the Pacers, as well in that state, to move the team out of there to somewhere...say....Vancouver.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #156  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 11:16 PM
EastVanMark EastVanMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,032
...think its time to change the name of this thread since the Pacers signed a new deal with the city which sees the city subsidising the team guaranteeing they will stay in Indianapolis for the foreseeable future....maybe re-name the thread "NBA return to Vancouver?" or something like that
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #157  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 2:27 AM
mezzanine's Avatar
mezzanine mezzanine is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastVanMark View Post
...think its time to change the name of this thread since the Pacers signed a new deal with the city which sees the city subsidising the team guaranteeing they will stay in Indianapolis for the foreseeable future....maybe re-name the thread "NBA return to Vancouver?" or something like that
Now that's just plain dumb. This is the reason why bringing in an NBA franchise in particular back to vancouver would just be awful. Why do taxpayers have to subsidize mulitmillionaire players?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #158  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 6:17 AM
vansky vansky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 923
van isn't big enough for four professional teams, but it all depends on how the other teams r doing in their city, if van makes a bette rprofit they might come
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #159  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 1:38 AM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,434
Here's an article related to bball, and somewhat to the NBA potentially coming back to our beautiful city.
___________________

Vancouver's Howard Kelsey joins Basketball Canada as executive vice-president

BY TONY GALLAGHER, THE PROVINCE NOVEMBER 18, 2010 BE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT


Basketball Canada has just added a whole big bundle of energy to its arsenal in the battle to get the sport front and centre in this country.

Howard Kelsey, who at 53 has headed up the Canada One basketball foundation during the past few years here in Vancouver, has been named executive vice president of Basketball Canada. He joins a team that Wayne Parrish started turning around three years ago when he took the head job of the organization in Toronto.

Kelsey gives Basketball Canada huge presence in the west now and the timing couldn’t be better for the former member of the Canadian national and Olympic team, as a group of outstanding young players are emerging in the country and the restoration of the men’s national program is now a significant probability despite difficulties at the recent world championship.

Kelsey, who along with his brother Doug, Lars Hansen, Ron Putzi and Misty Thomas, has been doing the heavy lifting for the successful HSBC high school basketball tournament, the B.C. Boys championship and Kits Fest. He is full of ideas for the sport in Canada and here in Vancouver and it’s no secret he is keen to see the NBA return to the city because he’s convinced it can be a success. He and the Aquilini family, owners of Rogers Arena, have had their issues working together in the past but hopefully they can bury the hatchet and work toward the goal of restoring the city to NBA status with Kelsey now in an official capacity.

Kelsey already has an outstanding working relationship with women’s national coach Allison McNeill and men’s national coach Leo Rautins, both of whom have recently been rehired. He also has first-hand, personal knowledge of many of the young players in their late teens and very early 20s who will soon turn Canada into a force internationally as they develop their pro careers.

“I’m excited about Howard coming on board,” said Rautins, who hopes that Canada will, within the next five years, become among the best in the world in the men’s game. “He should be able to help us in a number of different ways, his versatility will be important for us. ”

Perhaps what Kelsey does best is connect good events with sponsorship and connecting good companies with advertising opportunities, If he’s able to bring any of those talents to Basketball Canada, even more of the financial woes that Parrish has already begun to dissipate with further be banished.

“I’m really looking forward to this opportunity,” said Kelsey, whose 11th annual HSBC basketball tournament happens in early December. “We’ve been talking about this for a while and it’s nice to finally be able to start work officially. Obviously I love the sport and I’d like to see us build on this momentum we have internationally in both the women’s and men’s game, and I’ve got lots of other ideas as well.”

© Copyright (c) The Province
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #160  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 12:53 AM
EastVanMark EastVanMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,032
The NBA has taken over ownership of the New Orleans Hornets and are looking for new owner(s).

The NBA has announced they purchased the New Orleans Hornets from owner George Shinn. The Hornets have struggled financially, with Shinn actively shopping the team locally without any success before finally selling to the league on Monday. The NBA will now move to sell the Hornets to a new owner.

The NBA would like to keep the franchise in New Orleans, but as we’ve seen in the past, it could all be lip-service. Perhaps we could see a bid coming from Vancouver.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:13 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.