HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 2:46 PM

1. That newer section at the Triad Center was completed a couple years ago when BYU-SLC moved into the center.

2. The building that burned over the weekend will have to be demolished. There is nearly nothing left. It is sad because that was the only building on the block that the SLC RDA hadn't slated for demolition. It could have been a really cool addition to any redevelopment on the block.

3. I agree with most of those that commented about the museum. I think it's a beautiful building that will add nothing but positive elements to the community. I enjoy looking out of my window at work when the sun is setting and watch the copper shine in the sunlight across the valley. Personally, I think it's important that government owned buildings are beautiful and prominent. They should act as examples for private development in a community and are generally used for decades.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Rick View Post
I totally agree. It is a style that is actually much closer to an interesting style than a dated style of design. When you try to count the number of Glass dominated building in SLC there are basically the Wells Fargo building and the great looking Brown high rise between Main and state on South Temple. Sorry, I cannot remember the name.

It would be a total waste of money!
I like the way you put that Rick regarding the Triad Center, "It is a style that is actually much closer to an interesting style than a dated style of design". I agree with that assessment. I've alway liked the unique color chosen on the glass and also the timeless masonary design around the entrances etc. I think the color palette, design, materials and the way they are arranged will continue to hold up well for many years to come.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 5:20 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Thanks for answering my questions regarding the facade, guys. I don't know why I never noticed it before (the new section of facade). I wasn't sure if this was possibly part of a much bigger project of changing the facade, but since it has been explained that this is an actual new part of the building, I see that isn't the case.

I attached no value judgment on the existing facade (80's style) when I asked my second question. I just wanted to know if they were re-cladding the Triad because of that new section and the eventual BYU expansion.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; May 16, 2011 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 6:19 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Rick View Post
That building is going to be recognized for its totally original and unique design. The setting is terrific.

No, It will not be a waste of money unless you hate the art of design that will unique and challenging.

I may be wrong but I do not think so. This is stunningly original!
I never said it was a waste of money. I don't think its worth paying highing taxes for the next 15 years just to have the new building open a year earlier. I would of been just fine waiting a year to save having to pay more taxes. But I guess people are too impatient.
Also I love the design, solike I said I hope its worth it.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 3:12 PM

Granary District celebrating quirks with block party

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51...trict.html.csp

...With the city’s Redevelopment Agency turning its attention to the district, Harrison said it is important for developers and others to see it not as a blank slate, but a thriving, diverse neighborhood, complete with “delightfully quirky people.”...

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 5:27 PM

I thought people may be interested to know that the Boyer Company has submitted plans for their new office building at the north end of The Gateway. Now this is not a guarantee that it will actually move forward quickly but it's a pretty good indication.

Last edited by UTPlanner; May 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 9:24 PM

Is that the one that used to be referred to as Gateway 6?

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
I thought people may be interested to know that the Boyer Company has submitted plans for their new office building at the north end of The Gateway. Now this is not a guarantee that it will actually move forward quickly but it's a pretty good indication.
If the Gateway was really sold by Boyer, why are they building their offices there?

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeST View Post
If the Gateway was really sold by Boyer, why are they building their offices there?
Boyer only sold the retail portion of the Gateway.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 1:04 PM

I was looking at this photo of the Red Butte Gardens this morning, with the foothills in the background and thinking that SLC is looking like the tropical side of Oahu Island. I'm hoping and praying that you guys have a relatively cooler June/July.

Laura Seitz, Deseret News

Last edited by delts145; May 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 1:19 PM

Marmalade, West Capitol neighborhoods to get new library

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51...ction.html.csp

...Although it could be two to three years away, the Marmalade Library is anticipated to be a neighborhood gathering spot and could also be the anchor of a small commercial district on 300 West between 500 North and 600 North. Some 4 acres of land there are owned by the Salt Lake City Redevelopment Agency. The new Marmalade Library will be built in conjunction with an RDA project, according to Salt Lake City officials...

Last edited by delts145; May 25, 2011 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 1:39 PM

NYC is usually getting really warm at this time of year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I was looking at this photo of the Red Butte Gardens this morning, with the foothills in the background and thinking that SLC is looking like the tropical side of Oahu Island. I hoping and praying that you guys have a relatively cooler June/July.

Laura Seitz, Deseret News
However, NYC is having a very different season. I can see my breath when I leave the house. It rarely reaches 70 degrees but that many be changing.

I have lived here for over 20 years and I have never seen this weather.

That posted image of the woman and umbrella was REALLY nice.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 3:11 PM

Stenar is definitely correct that the Boyer Company does not own the retail portions of The Gateway. They continue to own the office buildings, surface lots to the north and to the west and the Hyatt Hotel.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 1:56 PM

From past reports it would seem that Boyer has nixed the idea of their offices being a beautiful rendition of it's neighboring Union Pacific Depot. I just hope they will at least use materials other than space-age stucco, with an ice cream palatte.

Maliheh clinic expansion kicks of with groundbreaking ceremony

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...-ceremony.html

SOUTH SALT LAKE — About 50 physicians, nurses, donors, patients, elected officials and neighbors braved Thursday's rainy weather, huddling under canopies and umbrellas, for a ceremonial groundbreaking to expand the Maliheh Free Clinic.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 11:23 AM

A Look Back: Pictures of Sugar House’s past

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51...ecity.html.csp

(File photo | The Salt Lake Tribune) This undated photo shows a view of Sugar House at 2100 South and 1100 East.Photo 1 of 10»«close gallery

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 11:30 AM

This was some excellent news this morning, and hopefully a future indicator for Downtown SLC. The Trib. didn't have a rendering posted yet, but it looks like they'll have a pic available later today.

Barrick Gold leasing half of new Gateway building

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...lding.html.csp

The Boyer Co. already has a tenant for the five-story office tower it expects to start building next month on the north end of downtown Salt Lake City’s ever-evolving Gateway project.

Barrick Gold of North America has signed a long-term lease for 2½ floors, 50,000 square feet in all, at what will be known as Gateway Six, said Jake Boyer, president and CEO of The Boyer Co., developer of the $375 million Gateway project. The company is planning to move into that space in May 2012.

The five-story office structure will be built to receive silver LEED certification. LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. The property has been a parking lot north of the outdoor mall and west of a Hyatt Place hotel.

Barrick Gold will occupy half of the building, with about 115 employees from its North American headquarters, which oversees several operating gold mines in Nevada, Montana and Canada.

Its parent company of the same name is based in Toronto and is the world’s largest gold-mining firm. In its 25 mines, Barrick’s website said, the company has 140 million ounces of gold reserves, 6.5 billion pounds of copper reserves and 1 billion ounces of silver.

In a news release, Barrick chief financial officer Blake Measom said Gateway was chosen for its location and amenities. “Easy access to the airport, the TRAX line and the freeway were important factors in our decision,” he said. ”Our employees will enjoy the convenience.”

One real estate agent who helped Barrick find a suitable and large enough location, Jack Woodward, of NAI West, predicted the lease signing bodes well for commercial office leasing possibilities in Salt Lake City.

“Since the recession started, commercial real estate has been one of the hardest-hit segments. As a result, new construction of office buildings had all but stopped which makes the groundbreaking of Gateway Six that much more significant,” he said.

Added colleague, Nick M. Teseros: “Because Barrick started its search process well in advance of the expiration of its existing lease, the company was able to drive construction of a 100,000-square-foot office building, which is unique in this economic climate.”

The original Gateway Six rendering, which was well received by most on the forum.

Boyer

Last edited by delts145; May 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 6:29 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Ok STOP all development!!! The Rapture is coming later today. Well guys.....Salt Lake had a good run. See you all on the other side.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 12:21 AM

I found some bid documents on Gateway 6. It's in PDF format - scroll down to the bottom and there are some diagrams on elevations etc.

http://www.ekbailey.net/plans/Gateway6/Addendum2.pdf

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Ok STOP all development!!! The Rapture is coming later today. Well guys.....Salt Lake had a good run. See you all on the other side.
I wouldn't have known what that comment was about until I saw something on TV about it. "I shall come as a thief in the night. No man shall know the time. Not even the son." Well, the scripture is something like that. Those silly guys who forecasted today as the "rapture" obviously did not read that part of the Bible. Either that, or I'm not a good christian and that's why I haven't vanished.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 12:59 PM

Nice-looking building. Lots of nice detail in the brick. It's an improvement over the pastel blandness of the rest of Gateway. In fact it doesn't go too well with the Hyatt next door. It's like a swan amidst a bunch of ugly ducklings; it doesn't fit in. It's too bad the Gateway isn't a swan instead of an ugly duckling. "Ugly" isn't the right word. "Plain" is more like it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West