HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCforme View Post
Just did a little browsing. If everyone remembers, it was Wasatch Advantage Group (sorry, I said wasatch partners above) that owned those parcels as well as several others and several buildings downtown (the old chase building on west temple I believe). Deloy Hansen was the president/ceo/majority share holder... whatever, I don't know how this stuff works. He and Rocky Anderson got in a big tiff and Hansen said that he was not going to do anything in the city until Rocky was out of office (They were partnering with HP on 222 S. Main, but pulled out of the deal after that spat). This is also the company that was suppose to develop Providence Place Apartments on 100 S 300 E; they tore down the old Jubilee Center but the site is still empty. I remember hearing that they were looking to sell off the parcel. And finally, they no longer have a website that I can find, though the one I used to be able to find hadn't been updated in over a year the last time I looked at it and now I can't find it at all.
This all suggests that perhaps they are on hiatus from our market, or perhaps may be collapsing all together, IDK. If anyone has any info I'd love to hear it.
But the point of this ramble is that perhaps if they don't have plans for the site ark had highlighted above, then maybe the city could acquire it, though, there are plenty of sites for a public safety complex, I guess I just kind of like that one.
Wasatch is very much in business. They are currently building 1300 apartments in Midvale around the trax station called Bingham Junction. 280 condos at the District called San Tropez. 320 condos on 9800 so. 1000 west called San Marino. I just talked to their project manager this morning and he said they will be going forward with Providence Place asap. Last year Wasatch was utahs largest residential builder. They have said they want to focus on apartments and condos the next 5 years building 5600 units+/-.
Wasatch Advantage Group is strictly a residential developer. Wasatch Properties is the commercial side which owns Wells Fargo Tower and many others downtown. Wastch Residential Builders is their residential construction company. http://www.wasatchgroup.com/

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdave View Post
Wasatch is very much in business. They are currently building 1300 apartments in Midvale around the trax station called Bingham Junction. 280 condos at the District called San Tropez. 320 condos on 9800 so. 1000 west called San Marino. I just talked to their project manager this morning and he said they will be going forward with Providence Place asap. Last year Wasatch was utahs largest residential builder. They have said they want to focus on apartments and condos the next 5 years building 5600 units+/-.
Wasatch Advantage Group is strictly a residential developer. Wasatch Properties is the commercial side which owns Wells Fargo Tower and many others downtown. Wastch Residential Builders is their residential construction company. http://www.wasatchgroup.com/
Cool! Thanks for the info. Any word on their proposed condo towers for the site on the NE corner of 4th and State(the one highlighted on the two previous posts)?

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the info SLCdave. Like I said, I just did browsing and was trying to put pieces together, so it's good to know they are still active and have plans for the area. A new emphasis on apartments and condos is good, let's hope some of those are downtown and Providence Place does actually happen.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 3:19 AM

I think there are some issues with some of the sites for the public safety building:

State and 400 S: This is too prime of a corner to build a couple of 4-5 story buildings. I would rather see the parking lot stay for 10 more years and get a 20-30 story building or two there.

600 S: The site does not have enough depth to build the kind of facility needed. because the facility will incorporate the State's Emergency Operation Center, there will be federal funding and federal regulations that come into play. You could assemble more land, but it would require some pretty complicated relocations of residents to do so.

I would prefer it be placed in the southwest downtown area.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 3:33 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

I agree with you 100% on 4th and State.

As for the 600 S option there is just as much space on that location as their would be on the east side of 300 E. So I don't see how they would have an issue with that sit. Just my opinion.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
Yes.
Does anyone else remember the flawed demolition for the old jail ?

They connected cables to several large front end loaders and bulldozers, and attempted to pull the "building on stilts" over...but all the cables began snapping. The building was leaning over, but wouldn't fall...I don't remember how they solved the problem...!

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post

I agree with you 100% on 4th and State.

As for the 600 S option there is just as much space on that location as their would be on the east side of 300 E. So I don't see how they would have an issue with that sit. Just my opinion.
Most of the land on 300 E is surface parking, they can bend 300 E west a bit to create more space, fewer property owners to buy land from on 300 E, underground aquifer prevents going under ground for parking on 600 s.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 5:40 AM

I agree completely that the "green space" of library square is never used, but that is because it's current design doesn't make any sense. However, I would never get rid of it, because once it is gone, it is gone. Putting the police there would just kill the vibe of the area. Could you imagine having the arts festival in front of the police station? Very clashing ideas. ... I think the city should redevelop the green space at library square, add a lot more trees, benches, paths, and green lawn space instead of dirt and weeds and the other crap that is there, and that area would be full of people.

As for the police, my concern is what the design of the building will look like. If it is an attractive building, then I think it is worthy of the barnes building site, or if it is really attractive, then possibly a small portion of the 400 S. Site that is next to the chamber of commerce. ... If it looks like the borg cube, or like most of our other public buildings, then I think it should go on 600 S, away from the eyes of tourists, and residents. ... I mean the city and county building, the library, and the matheson courthouse are all pretty magnificent buildings, I would hate to see some architectural scar placed next to them. There is already enough junk in the area, i.e.: burger king, ken garf, 7 eleven, barnes building, chamber of commerce, and parking lots, i think we can do a better job with planning the surrounding blocks of our iconic structures.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 11:11 AM

Another Safdie Masterpiece For Downtown Salt Lake City?

pic by BratoDB

Two firms bid on Broadway-class theater

Culture » Library architect Moshe Safdie among list of heavyweights
seeking downtown project.

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune - 10:03 PM 5/28/ 2009

Moshe Safdie may get another chance to put his design stamp on downtown Salt Lake City.

The famed architect, whose vision led to the capital's striking Main Library, is among two development groups
that have petitioned to build the $81.5 million Broadway-class theater pitched by Mayor Ralph Becker for 135 S.
Main.

The Safdie team bid includes Salt Lake City library architectural firm VCBO and contractor Okland Construction along
with developers Swisher, Garfield, Traub and Hamilton Partners, which is building a new office tower at 222 S. Main.

The other party to respond to the city's theater request is Hines Interests, said D.J. Baxter, executive director of the
city's Redevelopment Agency. According to its Web site, Hines is an international real estate firm with a presence in more
than 100 cities. Hines also owns the Kearns Building on Main Street.

"To have that caliber speaks very well of Salt Lake City," said City Councilman Eric Jergensen. "I'm excited. You've
got nationally known developers with financial firepower as well as a group of local architects that have shown their
design finesse with the library."

Baxter, who says Safdie's name "was a surprise to me," notes upfront costs for design plans and renderings would be borne
by the developers. A selection between the two groups will be made soon, he said, based on the respective firms' qualifications.

Becker says a community-based selection committee will be formed to evaluate the would-be Broadway theater builders.
And he praised both parties for their "expertise and experience."

Becker was unaware Safdie was among the final respondents.

Safdie made headlines earlier this week by declaring his opposition to building a police headquarters on the east end
of the cultural block known as Library Square. That is the "preferred" location for Becker, who also is weighing the east
side of 300 East for a $125 million police complex.

Even though the timing may be awkward, Jergensen says Safdie's stance on Library Square and his bid for the
Broadway-style theater are "totally unrelated."

A 2,400-seat Broadway-style playhouse has been a pet project for Becker, who enlisted his Tony Award-
winning producer/brother to work for free to find a workable downtown location. The theater, just a short
stroll from the LDS Church's 20-acre City Creek Center, would piggyback off that "lifestyle center" for funding
by using a portion of City Creek sales taxes to finance construction and operation.

The financial blueprint, which includes federal tax credits, would require a so-called Community Development Area,
including buy-in from Salt Lake County and the state.

City officials say the plan would provide extra cash for arts agencies statewide, but many still oppose the mega-theater
idea.

Suburban Sandy also is pursuing plans for a large playhouse.

Last edited by delts145; May 29, 2009 at 12:44 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 11:52 AM

Becker urges patience on Library Square

Salt Lake City » Mayor says he's committed to an open process.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_12474297

Mayor Ralph Becker is touting his controversial police headquarters proposal as the first real test of his goal for transparency in government.

On Thursday, in response to swelling criticism against a cop shop at Library Square, the Salt Lake City mayor penned a letter to the City Council stating that open government can be "messy" and requires officials and residents to take a "leap of faith."

"For the public, they must be more patient when they are consulted early in a project, as in the case of the public safety complex, because, as might be expected ... all of the potential issues have not yet been fully explored and the final decision has not been made." ...

Last edited by delts145; May 29, 2009 at 12:11 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 12:01 PM

While at first neutral on the matter, I now completely agree that the best location for the new e.o.c. and police and fire headquarters would not be at library square. As many have said, we can do a better job of placing the facility somewhere else in the vicinity than setting up library square as the only alternative. I agree that once the square is gone, it's gone. Considering it's current surroundings, is it any wonder that it is not used to it's full capacity. However, that is changing, and will continue to improve as we develop the Leonardo, and the surrounding vicinity becomes more urban attractive, and walkable.

Is 300 East best place for safety complex?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...lice-bldg.html

The team that built Salt Lake's downtown library wants Mayor Ralph Becker to look elsewhere for the proposed $125 million public-safety complex.

Despite a list of seismic and aesthetic concerns from the library's architects and project manager, however, Becker and his staff insist a site along 300 East is the best option on the table.

"It is clear that either of the proposed site locations do (not) present undue hardships in that context," David Everitt, Mayor Ralph Becker's chief of staff, wrote in a letter to project manager Ken Ament on Wednesday...

...In a letter to the City Council Thursday, Becker also addressed a list of other possible sites. City officials considered a handful of sites around Washington Square before settling on the area along 300 East as their preferred location for the $125 million complex. Looking to the keep the complex close to City Hall, officials looked at 10 options — from the Earl Holding parking lot west of the state courthouse to 7-Eleven block northeast of the Library.

Other sites included: the Chamber of Commerce parking lot, the Ken Garff dealership block, the Valley Health building block, the Youth City block, the Burger King block and the Utah Office of Education block.

In each scenario, city planners said they ran into problems that eliminated the site...

Civic campus master-plan workshop

Saturday

9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Salt Lake City Main Library

Main Auditorium

210 E. 400 South

Last edited by delts145; May 29, 2009 at 12:15 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 3:10 PM

This is good news about the downtown theater. I can't wait to see what the teams come up with for designs.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 3:50 PM

The thought of the Safdie/Hamilton team is a very exciting prospect.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 4:00 PM

I am with you Delts. I really like the idea of a Safdie designed theater. I really like what Hamilton Partners has done here in Salt Lake. The investment that they are making in downtown is very impressive, with the remodel of the Boston building and the other old buildings that they have purchased along with 222 S Main and now throwing their hat in the ring with the theater.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 4:20 PM

2 thoughts here:

1) Why can't they reuse and expand their existing building on 200s. or tear it down and use that same site for a new safety complex?

2) I'm not sure Safdie is a good choice for this theater, because isn't this mostly a renovation and reuse in a small & tight site?

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 5:35 PM

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 5:47 PM

Safdie's design for the City Library is great (as long as you can ignore the fact that it's almost identical to every other library he's designed) I looked on the firm's website to see what they'd done as far as theaters and concert halls. I found three:

Maybe if we'd get something like the center in Kansas City; The two in Canada- thanks, but no thanks.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 5:47 PM

The Safdie/Hamilton partnership makes me wonder if maybe there is going to be a mixed use/tower component to the theater as well... I spent some time looking at Safdie's website today and I have to say, any involvement he has in this theater is probably going to be a great thing.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:46 PM

I don't mind the look of Safdie's theaters excluding the Vancouver theater. That is to large of a blank wall to be along Main. I don't think I could like it along Regent either.

DMTower, I was thinking the same thing.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 6:59 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

It's going to come to this.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West