HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 9:20 PM

It's a good thing none of us were around for the construction of the SL Temple. Can you imagine checking the forum for 40 years to see the progress?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
It's a good thing none of us were around for the construction of the SL Temple. Can you imagine checking the forum for 40 years to see the progress?
I was thinking about that when I posted the photo of Hallgrímskirkja.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 10:51 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Federal Courthouse

Public Safety Building

Salt Lake City Library Plaza and The Leonardo

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 11:07 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

The VA Medical Center is building a parking garage

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 11:35 PM
Roll out the trains!

Great photos S.P. It won't be long before we see what the "borg cube" will actually look like! It's good to see the foundation work is underway on the Public Safety Building.

While we're on the topic of slow construction, I present to you Sagrada Falilia. (1882-2026)

Photo found on Wikipedia

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 3:51 AM

And I counter that with Cologne Cathedral @ 632 years. Checkmate.

Oh wait.. what game are we playing?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 6:24 AM

The Cologne Cathedral bugs me for some reason. It's just SO detailed that every photo I see of it just looks like a jagged mess. I'm sure if I actually stood in front of it my opinion would change in an instant.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 11:04 AM

Take virtual tour of Salt Lake City's future police, fire headquarters

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...dquarters.html

SALT LAKE CITY — The public is invited to join Mayor Ralph Becker on a virtual tour of the city's future public safety building Tuesday morning.

At 10:19 a.m., a virtual animation tour of how the public safety building is expected to look will launch at www.slcgov.com/psb. The fly-through tour will show off the building from every angle, both inside and out. The website will allow visitors to navigate through the project's public lobby, plaza and festival space, as well as the emergency operations center...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 5:47 PM

Public Safety Building Animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Take virtual tour of Salt Lake City's future police, fire headquarters

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...dquarters.html

[B][I]SALT LAKE CITY — The public is invited to join Mayor Ralph Becker on a virtual tour of the city's future public safety building Tuesday morning.
You can see the Public Safety Building animation video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gsqaMCEkVB0" target="_blank">Video Link

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
You can see the Public Safety Building animation video here:
Have they announced anything about what will happen to the current building when they move out?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 8:54 PM

Interesting Article

How Salt Lake City Became a Leader in Transit-Oriented Development
by Carolyn Szczepanski on October 24, 2011

Photo by SLTrib

Article from http://dc.streetsblog.org

In 2004, Salt Lake City faced a challenging question: How do you fit 1.4 million additional residents into a region hemmed in by mountains on the east and water on the west? In the course of solving that problem, the city ended up answering several other head-scratchers, like: How do you get buy-in for smart-growth policies from conservatives wary of urbanism? And, how do you make new greenfield development both sustainable and wildly popular?

At the Rail~Volution conference last week, Andrew Gruber, executive director of the Wasatch Front Regional Council, showcased the transit-centered solution that’s now propelling development in Utah’s capital city.

If official projections are right, the high quality of life and thriving economy of the Wasatch Front could invite population growth of more than 65 percent by 2040.

If the region continued along current growth trends, Gruber explained, it would add more than 300 square miles of development to meet the housing and commercial demand by 2040. Vehicle miles traveled would nearly double, from 49 million to more than 90 million per day, by 2030. By 2020, the cost of new infrastructure could balloon to more than $26 billion.

In just a few decades, a region known for its open space and outdoor lifestyle would be a mighty congested and costly place to call home......

Now, Salt Lake City is investing more, per capita, in new public transit than any other metro area in the country, and exporting ideas to the rest of the country.......

The work in Salt Lake could also benefit cities around the country. As part of its HUD grant, the Wasatch Front Regional Council is using its experience to help other governments and citizens overcome two major barriers to sustainable development: lack of information and antiquated zoning requirements.

On the zoning front, the council is working on a form-based code that doesn’t splinter development into commercial areas and residential areas. “It focuses on the form of the building, instead,” Gruber said. “So, in a particular area you might want two- to three-story buildings with a certain set back from the streets, and whatever the market will bear is OK, as long as it fits the character of the neighborhood… That model will be available to folks across the country.”

Read full article here: http://dc.streetsblog.org/2011/10/24...d-development/

Last edited by (Eco)nomy_404; Oct 25, 2011 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 1:53 AM
BANNED

Great article.

I think cities such as SLC, Atlanta, Portland, Seattle, Austin, Minneapolis, and San Francisco are going to be cities that will be very important during the next several decades for many different reasons. They are all pretty modern, up to date cities that have a lot of potential.

Seattle I think is a city that is just about to explode. It has so much potential. I could go on and on about the potential I think Seattle has.... but I think it will be a fun and interesting city to watch and follow for the next few decades.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 7:11 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

I talked to SLCdude today at school in the library and we are going to meet for cheese pullaparts at the Pie Pizza not this Friday, but next Friday, November 4th at 5:30 PM. Anyone who feels so inclined should come and partake of the cheese pull-apart goodness with us.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
I talked to SLCdude today at school in the library and we are going to meet for cheese pullaparts at the Pie Pizza not this Friday, but next Friday, November 4th at 5:30 PM. Anyone who feels so inclined should come and partake of the cheese pull-apart goodness with us.
I'll probably do that too. Unless my wife tells me otherwise.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 8:44 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I'll probably do that too. Unless my wife tells me otherwise.
Dude, awesome! It would be great to have you come.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornhusker View Post
Great article.

I think cities such as SLC, Atlanta, Portland, Seattle, Austin, Minneapolis, and San Francisco are going to be cities that will be very important during the next several decades for many different reasons. They are all pretty modern, up to date cities that have a lot of potential.

Seattle I think is a city that is just about to explode. It has so much potential. I could go on and on about the potential I think Seattle has.... but I think it will be a fun and interesting city to watch and follow for the next few decades.
Yeah, definitely. I just read another article on CNN Money that picked out 2011`s top 15 new cities for business globally. Two U.S. cities made the list - Salt Lake City and Austin.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...ottest_cities/

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 5:57 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Gateway Update:

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 6:21 PM

Quote:
For the first time, I'll be coming! I'm excited to finally meet some of the guys.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 7:24 PM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemery View Post
For the first time, I'll be coming! I'm excited to finally meet some of the guys.
That's great news! Looking forward to meeting you.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 9:56 PM
Roll out the trains!

Quote:
Anyone else wanna join S.P, Jedikermit, Gemery, and myself?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West