HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
I am sure as the satellite concourses are added the branches will be demolished.
The Trib article says that although the original idea was to build satellite concourses, that idea has been abandoned. Not to say that it couldn't be revived some day.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 3:03 PM

I thought I remembered someone saying that the underground tunnel, which would connect the future satellite concourses together, has already been built..?

*Edit: Looks like my question was answered on the transit thread. Let's move this discussion over there?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 4:50 PM

Imagine something like this on the 400 South and Main Street church parking lot: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/11/mo...-ferris-wheel/

Talk about a Southern Anchor to Main Street! All the people staying at the hotels (Grand America, Little America, Sheraton, Red Lion, Hilton, etc.) would make good use of it. Not to mention residents with their fhe nights. Would be cool if the circle were the same diameter as the length of an slc block. This way riders could see all the way down main street on the east side, and

could see all the way to temple square on the west side. Think about the incredible view of the Mountains. We could call it the Pearly Gate!

C'mon, everybody is doing it. Las Vegas is building two of them!: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011.../ferris-wheel/

Last edited by Old&New; Jan 18, 2012 at 5:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
C'mon, everybody is doing it. Las Vegas is building two of them!: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011.../ferris-wheel/
Salt Lake and Vegas should never be quoted together.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
Salt Lake and Vegas should never be quoted together.
Ok, but I'm curious to know what you think of the idea.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:33 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I think it's to much of a gimmick. I don't think our tourist economy is based on gimmicky tourism, like Vegas and we aren't the massive city like London. It's not like someone needs a ride on a gigantic ferris wheel in order to get a view of the mountains.

I would actually prefer a top floor restaurant in a highrise rather than something like this.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 5:53 PM

Perhaps we could have that too..?

What if it circled over Main Street? or if it were also used as a gateway monument? Would that warm you to the idea at all?

I was just thinking about all the tourists who come to see temple square and CCC, as well as those in town for conventions. Something like this would be more for Main Street than for

the city's image. I just thought it might bring tourists down Main Street from CCC and elsewhere.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 9:29 PM

Tiny footnote in the Trib today: The RDA has approved a loan to the Broadway Park Lofts to finish the project.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2012, 11:09 PM
Roll out the trains!

I too think a ferris wheel would be gimmicky and unpleasant. What I would like to see is a clock tower like the Daniels & Fisher Tower in Denver. That's something we should be jealous about here.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
I too think a ferris wheel would be gimmicky and unpleasant. What I would like to see is a clock tower like the Daniels & Fisher Tower in Denver. That's something we should be jealous about here.
I love that tower. And I like the idea of something to draw the eye (and the people) further down Main Street. I just don't know exactly what.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
I love that tower. And I like the idea of something to draw the eye (and the people) further down Main Street. I just don't know exactly what.
I've been thinking the same thing for years, but not sure what... some special tower, like a clock tower, or something like the Seattle Space Needle, but less gimmicky, somehow representative of Utah.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
I see the Walker Tower as Salt Lake City's version of the Fisher Tower, but instead of telling the time like the Fisher Tower, the Walker Tower tells the weather.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I've been thinking the same thing for years, but not sure what... some special tower, like a clock tower, or something like the Seattle Space Needle, but less gimmicky, somehow representative of Utah.
Giant beehive? A Statue of Liberty, but with really big hair?

Then I think, well Temple Square already serves that function, but we need more of a city around it. Tourists already go to the Temple Square area, but we need more...other things.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 2:07 AM

If nothing else, the clock tower at Gateway should be redone.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 2:09 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
If nothing else, the clock tower at Gateway should be redone.
Totally agreed. They need to do something to jazz up the Gateway and soon.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 4:55 AM

We're talking about something on the southern end of Main Street to act as a southern anchor that will draw crowds from Temple Square and CCC (northern anchors) all the way down Main Street, helping Main Street businesses thrive because of the increased foot traffic up and down Main Street. Any ideas?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:17 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

I can't think of anything to anchor the southern portion of Main St. All I can think of is that with eventual growth and the demand for more office space and more residential in the city that maybe the southern end could be the home to a Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, or Saks.

The true southern anchor would have been the RSL Stadium between 600 and 700 S west of Main, but alas, no such luck.

Many years ago I along with a now SLC Council member thought that this would be a good block for what we are now referring to as the UPAC. The current location fits in better with the existing urban fabric.

I honestly think it needs to be broken up into four smaller blocks, not necessarily with all streets, but with a combination of streets and major pedestrian thoroughfares, or even two one direction and one the other direction. A tower on one section, some row houses or mid rise condos on another section with ground floor retail, some apartments, maybe another office tower and some additional open space. A third "living room" for the city. I'll do a VERY rough sketch and try to post it in the next few days. Again I think UB had posted something like this a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post

We're talking about something on the southern end of Main Street to act as a southern anchor that will draw crowds from Temple Square and CCC (northern anchors) all the way down Main Street, helping Main Street businesses thrive because of the increased foot traffic up and down Main Street. Any ideas?
How about this for an idea...a block that has office/residential towers, per usual, but the block is broken up by a criss crossed pedestrian only streets. The 'streets' become a daily farmer's market including a few places that are short order cook style venues, and or other places that are just in between fast food and sit down dining. The market would include produce, meats, cheeses, flowers, etc. and would be on the empty parking lot down near the Grand America. It would be similar to Pike's Place Market in Seattle.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:04 PM

I think a good anchor for the south end of Main could possibly be something like a mixed use development with ultra modern residential and office towers, with pedestrian streets and plaza in the middle. The draw could be that the ground floor spaces surrounding the plaza are all entertainment based, like a deluxe/adult focused arcade such as the Hippodrome in London, the San Francisco pier area, etc... with shopping, games, dining, bars, clubs, and other grown up focused entertainment. It's far enough from the conservative part of the CBD and it would provide something that Salt Lake doesn't have that you see in other cities' tourist areas.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2012, 5:11 PM

Yeah, it's an interesting scenario, because there aren't many blocks in the downtown core that are completely empty like that. There's that one, the one directly east of the Triad...I wouldn't want to waste those without a seriously fantastic development of some kind attached to it. Use it wisely.

Like a Full Block LEGO Store. Aw, yeah.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West