Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:36 AM

Los Angeles High School Annex on North Hill Street across from 1891 LAHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

__
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
I can add that I've seen a pic somewhere taken of HS graduates standing in front of the HS, the photographer seemingly on the roof of whatever building it is that I've arrowed. This might (weakly) imply that it (the bldg. the photographer was on) was also HS property. So this would make sense that it would be the annex. From what we can see, the structure has a rather interesting look; I'm curious to see more of it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Do we know what the LAHS Annex on the east side of Hill looked like and when it was built? (this may be almost twenty years later than odinthor's photo):

historic mapworks baist 1910
Here ya go . . . .

Los Angeles Times, May 30, 1900:

LAPL

Annual Report of the Board of Education, 1899-1900:

Hathitrust -- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...view=1up;seq=6

Annual Report of the Board of Education, 1899-1900
(I think the center circle is a fountain):

Hathitrust -- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...iew=1up;seq=24

Annual Report of the Board of Education, 1899-1900
(The annex described):

Hathitrust -- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...iew=1up;seq=16

Annual Report of the Board of Education, 1900-1901
(This has to be looking east):

Hathitrust -- http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?i...iew=1up;seq=24

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Nov 1, 2015 at 7:07 AM. Reason: searchable title

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 6:27 AM

LAHS #2 Annex

Well done Flyingwedge!

"Commercial" was the magic search word for me. Thank you so much.

LA Herald 2 September 1900:

cdnc

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 1, 2015 at 7:42 AM. Reason: add image

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 11:31 AM

Fort Hill Cemetery

1892. Despite the severe cut at the property line, the cemetery appears to be in generally well-maintained condition. There is dense mature tree growth, and numerous headstones and monuments can be seen immediately inside the fence. Overall, it still looks like it's considered sacred ground.

Bird's eye view of downtown Los Angeles, north from Courthouse, west on Temple Street, USC Digital Library.

1898. Nearby development has clearly had an impact on the cemetery. The boundary fence is mostly gone, as are a good many grave markers, and significant soil erosion has taken place. The vegetation is noticeably sparser, too, and the grounds in general have a trampled appearance.

Panoramic view of downtown Los Angeles looking north from the courthouse, 1898, USC Digital Library.

1904. A few monuments can still be seen standing behind the high school, but I kind of doubt any of them will be there ten years from now.

Panoramic view of Los Angeles, from the court house (corner of Broadway and Temple Street), ca.1904-1905; USC Digital Library.

The degradation of the settler-era cemetery should perhaps not be surprising, considering the largest high school in southern California was built immediately adjacent to it. Teenagers are notorious for desecrating burial grounds, and I suspect the kids at L.A. High were no exception. After twenty-five years of probably continual vandalism, is it any wonder that, by the time LAHS moved to Olympic in 1917, all evidence of the old cemetery was gone, and the whole site totally forgotten by the post-War years?

Quote:
Here, in ca 1898, the street frontages have been graded, leaving the cemetery on a wedge-shaped piece of land:

ucla islandora depository

Also labeled "ca 1898", a building sort of like the one in tetsu's photo has been built, but maybe further west than the one we're looking at. It was a rooming house and hotel:

previously posted by MichaelRyerson (detail)

By 1910 more apartments had been built on the block:

historic mapworks

1921. The cemetery has been transformed into a playground:

historic mapworks

Last edited by JScott; Dec 27, 2017 at 1:08 AM. Reason: Repaired broken image links

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 4:02 PM

A Streetcar Named...Bliss...?

I've come across this photo on various places around the internet, but none of them come with an explanation of what that "BLISS" sign is about. It looks like the name of the depot (or station? or stop?) but I've never come across any mention of it. Apparently the shot is from 1909. Can anyone lurking around these here parts shed any more light on the what and where of this photo?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 4:21 PM

Bliss

jalopyjournal

Per Water and Power: "According to old rail maps, Bliss was a station located north of Glendale."

Time to get the maps out...

__

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 1, 2015 at 5:25 PM. Reason: add link

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:11 PM

LAHS No. 1

Thank you Scott. I was just wondering, since tetsu posted the color image of LAHS #1, when the eastern extention was built:

1892:

uscdl

1898:
uscdl

Ezra Kysor retired from Kysor, Morgan and Walls by 1890. I'll assume Morgan and Walls did the addition.

I'm glad someone tried to save the building:

"Construction of the highway spelled the end for several pieces of Downtown history. The route cut through Fort Moore Hill, site of the Los Angeles High School. The school originally opened at Broadway and Temple in 1873, and was moved to the Fort Moore site. As construction of the freeway loomed closer, various interests fought to move the historic building to a nearby site, but the school board eventually voted to raze the structure instead."
-blogdowntown

A painful loss.

lapl (first posted by MichaelRyerson on pg 418)

"Three old schools, now in the path where a section of the Hollywood Freeway will be constructed, are being razed on Fort Moore Hill to make way for the new thoroughfare. (1) is the Fort Hill School; (2) is the first high school built in Los Angeles, and (3) is Central School. Everything between the broken lines will be cleared away for the super-roadway, Photo dated: February 1, 1949. "

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 2, 2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: fix photo credit

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post

I've come across this photo on various places around the internet, but none of them come with an explanation of what that "BLISS" sign is about. It looks like the name of the depot (or station? or stop?) but I've never come across any mention of it. Apparently the shot is from 1909. Can anyone lurking around these here parts shed any more light on the what and where of this photo?
The same question was posed by e_r in post #7958 (using the same picture). In post #8003, GW clipped a section out of a 1912 Pacific Electric Trolley map originally posted by Chuckaluck to pinpoint the location of Bliss:

www.pacificelectric.org

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:53 PM

About a week ago, OLeander5-5225 asked for information and photos concerning the area around South Flores Street between Beverly Boulevard and W 3rd Street, and the driving range that once stood there. If anyone with an LAT subscription can get a better resolution image of the clipping in post #31709, it would be a start.

While searching for pictures of the area, I came across the picture below. I think it's new to NLA. It's a Herman Schultheis shot from the 1940s, and features the oil well in La Cienega which was mentioned again recently.

"Several people can be seen riding a small train that travels through Beverly Park, as others wait on either side. The oil derrick (upper right) is in the center of La Cienega Boulevard."

LAPL

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the information about the little building opposite the Ahmanson Bank, tovangar2.

-------------

Wolf's Lair at 2869 Durand Drive isn't new to NLA - e_r posted a selection of pictures in post #17738. These are from Julius Shulman's "Job 5664: 'Wolf's Lair' (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1979, 1981"

There's a virtually identical color version of this shot in e_r's post.

I'm guessing that this is the front door.

And here's a close-up of the ironwork.

From this angle it looks like the pool is kidney-shaped. I like the little bridge on the right.

A room with a view.

Here's a better look of the light fitting and ceiling.

The last two photos show the view over the Hollywood Reservoir.

All from Getty Research Institute

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 11:22 PM

interesting post Hoss. I didn't realize Wolf's Lair had such an impressive view of Lake Hollywood.

Here's a recent aerial.

http://mansion-homes.com/dream/the-i...s-lair-castle/

Shrieking monkies and tunnels...ya gotta love that.

https://www.pinterest.com

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 1, 2015 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 12:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
interesting post Hoss. I didn't realize Wolf's Lair had such an impressive view of Lake Hollywood.

Here's a recent aerial.

Shrieking monkies and tunnels...ya gotta love that.

https://www.pinterest.com

__
I hear there's a bar inside the Lair that's open to the public?

Musician and architecture lover Moby was, until recently, the proud owner of one of LA's most glamorous homes—Wolf's Lair, an eight-bedroom replica of a Norman castle overlooking the Hollywood Reservoir and built in 1927 for Milton Wolf, a Hollywoodland developer and art director. Variety reports that Moby, who bought the home for $3.925 million (and then dropped $2 million on repairs to the whimsical compound), has sold it in an off-market deal to "anonymous corporate concern" for $12.4 million. Mysterious, but isn't that just like this place?

Flying monkeys..

MGM archives Aug 1939

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Nov 2, 2015 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 3:24 AM

-note the Civic Center sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The Civic Center sign has me confused.
Hoss, I believe the Civic Center sign is pointing down Miles Avenue to the government buildings of the City of Huntington Park.

google_earth

Here's city hall. (with an impressive cartouche over the entrance)

gsv

and the police building. (with yet another cartouche) -and lovely clock tower.

gsv

__

There's also this old survivor across the street from the civic center on the corner of Miles and Zoe.

gsv
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 2, 2015 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 3:57 AM

This is an amazing find tovanger2!

originally posted by t2

I've wondered for years what was behind the John T. Dye billboards in my 1926 ebay pic.
You solved the mystery / it was an old adobe. just amazing!

I still have nightmares about that seller's green fingernail.
__

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 4:09 AM

Quote:
The same question was posed by e_r in post #7958 (using the same picture). In post #8003, GW clipped a section out of a 1912 Pacific Electric Trolley map originally posted by Chuckaluck to pinpoint the location of Bliss:

www.pacificelectric.org
In modern times, Bliss became known as North Glendale. It was an alternate terminus for the PE's Glendale-Burbank line at the intersection of Brand Blvd. and Mountain Ave.

http://lacmtalibrary.tumblr.com/post...cific-electric

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks GW! -so the other building(s) is the Brunswig Drug Co....I didn't realize how much of it had been torn down.
It was a much larger complex than I remembered.
Parking spaces now, of course.

The odd angle of at which New High Street issues off the end of Republic is clearly discernible from the shape of the buildings. I remember they were oddly narrow yet tall for their small ground footprints. El Pueblo State Park pamphlets used to identify the buildings here; I remember one of them was supposed to have been built in 1907 and was used for juvenile courts. I believe this was what appears to be a back extension to the Brunswig building. It seemed to have lost whatever decorative features it may have once had, but in spite of its generally dingy appearance, I remember that the door facing New High had the retro gold-leaf lettering you would expect on an old court building.

Although these buildings were in a generally sad state, I certainly wish they might have been preserved for something. And New High is just about gone, now, I think.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 5:48 AM

Quote:
I'll finish with this attractive little building across the street.

All from GSV
This used to be the Drug King pharmacy if memory serves; from about 1969 - 72 we used to go over there from Emerson MS, about two blocks away, to buy snacks and sodas. Surprisingly, remnants of the old mortar-and-pestle symbol are still plainly visible atop the blade sign, where it now reads "Sprint".

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
This used to be the Drug King pharmacy if memory serves; from about 1969 - 72 we used to go over there from Emerson MS, about two blocks away, to buy snacks and sodas. Surprisingly, remnants of the old mortar-and-pestle symbol are still plainly visible atop the blade sign, where it now reads "Sprint".
I remember the drug store very well. Circa 1997-2001, All American Burger was across the street and a few blocks south was Rhino records. After school we would catch the number 1 Big Blue Bus and get a burger,and then walk to Rhino...we would always see the kids from Emerson at All American, but since we were in High School we did the grown up thing and went to Rhino lol.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, thank you. I don't remember being aware of the first steps before.

Incredible to think that the old Protestant cemetery on Fort Moore Hill, between LAHS No. 1 and No. 2, once so remote on its far-away hill, vandalized at will with no one noticing, became embedded in this urban neighborhood. The city was gruesomely negligent in removing the graves (much discussed on the thread). The city announced that the cemetery had been completely emptied by 1947, but remains have been continually exposed during various construction projects, most recently in 2006 when the remains of 80 more early Angelenos were found.

Hollywood Freeway construction, April 2, 1951:

lapl (first posted by fhammon on pg 380)

Thank you too CBD for the Leo Carrillo post. He had such famous and important ancestors, both Carrillos and Bandinis. He was very proud of them and loved California. He was on the California Beach and Parks Commission for 18 years and made possible the acquisition of San Simeon and the LA Arboretum, among other properties, for the public. Leo Carrillo State Beach is named for him.

__
Read Leo Carillo's book, "The California I Love" for a fascinating peek into the past

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Posted by tonvangar2
What? He [Leo Carrillo] was running a rec center at his house? I love that.

Leo Carrillo obit from LAT

I well remember the situation in the 1950's and 60s. Yes, there were a few people who operated their private home pools for a fee. One family in San Gabriel welcomed the Cub Scout boys for 25 Cents per head.
They even provided hot dogs and sodas for a small fee. It felt very strange but that's the way it was.

Having a pool in those days was often very awkward. My family did not generally allow neighbors to use our pool. We had the only pool in the neighborhood and my parents enacted strict rules. Our friends from school were not welcome either. The only time I ever saw strangers using our pool were people from our church. To be honest, I was happy when that era ended and we moved to a different house.

How our backyard began circa the 1950s and as later remodeled by a Japanese company...Dyo Bros, Pasadena.. The pool was built in 1948 by a previous family with four boys.
Left photo....the reed fencing came from the Akron surplus store.
[/QUOTE]

OH, The Akron. Now there's something I really miss. I guess it's niche has been taken over by Pier 1 and Cost Plus, but it is not really the same.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:

www.pacificelectric.org
I think we did this before, but I can't locate the posts relating to it. I do remember posting something about the anchor points for the Catenaries and there were several about the restroom below in later years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos