HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Good to remember the fallen..........
Must be a repost, but I do love this shot. Are there any panorama photos from the observation tower? One would think.

Here is a photo of the Angels' Flight observation tower, called "Angels' View" in an LA Herald article on January 1, 1902, the
day after Angels' Flight was offically opened to the public. The camera obscura atop the tower was in place on opening day:

P-010-0387 @ Seaver Center

I've enlarged this photo of Angels' Flight, which appeared on the cover of the January 25, 1902, edition of The Capital,
a weekly illustrated journal published in Los Angeles. It looks like there are seven people standing across the front of
the tower, so perhaps it was about 12-15 feet square?:

Google Books

For comparison, here is a pre-Angels' Flight view of Third and Hill during construction of the Third Street Tunnel, c. 1900:

00067374 @ LAPL

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Mar 3, 2017 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Here is a photo of the Angels' Flight observation tower, called "Angels' View" in an LA Herald article on January 1, 1902, the
day after Angels' Flight was offically opened to the public. The camera obscura atop the tower was in place on opening day:

P-010-0387 @ Seaver Center
This is such a great photograph FW.

I would be a bit nervous climbing those stairs out to the tower. (it could definitely use an additional support btw the platform at top & the first support )

I just spotted that giant roof-top shoe that we discussed in the first year or so of the thread.

detail

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 3, 2017 at 1:01 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 11:27 PM

Norma Jean - West LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
Norma Jean (Marilyn) appears with the Goddards in the 1940 census. She was 13 years old at the time. She is in the 7th grade and is listed as a ward of the family The family was Ervin and Grace Goddard. Ervin was a traveling salesman who sold vacuum cleaners according to the census. Also living there was a Margaret Kanaun, 79, who is listed as a lodger. They lived at 11336 Nebraska Avenue in Hollywood.
The Nebraska Avenue address was Ana Lower's place. It's here in West LA, between Corinth and Purdue. The Goddards lived in the valley. The Nebraska building has been replaced with another. It was while Marilyn was living with Lower that she attended Emerson Middle School and University High School. Ana made Marilyn's wedding dress and walked her down the aisle.

Ana Lowers is also buried in Westwood Memorial Park, not far from Marilyn's crypt. She died in 1948:

findagrave

cursumperficio (detail)

That's a gorgeous photo of Angels View FW. I can just picture Mr Pierce dragging his camera up all those stairs.

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 2, 2017 at 11:48 PM. Reason: add pix

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 11:56 PM

More Angels' Flight + Mystery Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

I would be a bit nervous climbing those stairs out to the tower. (I think it could have used another support or two )

__
That was my thought as well. I don't think you'd want a lot of people dancing around on that stairway.

You get a quick glimpse of Sinai and Olivet in motion at about the 18:40 mark of the 1925 film Hop to it! with Oliver Hardy
and Bobby Ray (also listed as Hop to it, Bellhop, 1923). At top center, that's Hardy fighting a cop on the roof (I just stumbled
across this film a few days ago):

nechronomicon1 @ YouTube

The movie first gets up on that roof at about the 16:45 mark; you can see the old Broadway City Hall, the dome of the Hollenbeck
Hotel at 2nd and Spring, and other landmarks. But early in the movie there's a street scene I can't identify; here's a screen cap from
the 3:20 mark:

There's not much to go on, but I thought someone might recognize the location.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Mar 3, 2017 at 12:08 AM. Reason: change time

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 12:02 AM

We've been talking a lot about Angels Flight of late, and so in that spirit, here's a couple shots I took yesterday afternoon—

—wherein Mayor Garcetti, Councilman Huizar, et al. informed us that Angels Flight is coming back, after four years of debilitating dilapidation.

Read (and listen) all about it here.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
But early in the movie there's a street scene I can't identify; here's a screen cap from
the 3:20 mark:

There's not much to go on, but I thought someone might recognize the location.
Oh yeah, that's the Astoria, two doors down from the upper terminal of Angels Flight:

nadel at getty

Between the Astoria Apts and AF it seems the Hillcrest has a "Bank" sign upon it, and I'm pretty certain there was never a bank there. Must have been a prop for the film. I'm gonna got watch it now and see if a bank figures in to the plot...

Last edited by Beaudry; Mar 3, 2017 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Oh yeah, that's the Astoria, two doors down from the upper terminal of Angels Flight
Yay Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 12:37 AM

Astoria Hotel

Beaudry beat me too it, as he should, but I wanted to add one more from "My Gun Is Quick" (1957). I love the porch chairs:

Parklane Pictures - youtube

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:

someone forgot to pick up the morning paper..........................................

Good Eye Martin Pal!

I wasn't able to find the quote "Why Hud?". It seems like an odd choice to put on a billboard.
Was it a pivotal line in the movie? (it's been awhile since I've seen the film)

Speaking of odd choice, take a look at the by-line on this Hud poster.

movie_posters.inc

"The Man With the Barbed Wire Soul" lol. What does that even mean? [rhetorical question ]

__

I thought I recalled the Lonnie character saying that ("Why Hud") to Hud; maybe not?

I read this online, looks like it was a marketing idea:

Paramount was worried about how the movie would do, especially because its central character was such an unlikable person, and they created a VERY unusual ad campaign, starting with a 24-sheet that solely showed an image of Newman in a small part of it, with the words "Why Hud?", and much of the 24-sheet blank. They wanted to create a mystery as to what the movie was about, in the hopes that people would not have preconceived notions and go see it, feeling that once they did, they would recognize what a quality movie it was, and this marketing strategy obviously worked, because the movie was very successful.

Here's a section of that 24 sheet shown here:
https://www.movieposter.com/poster/b70-3534/Hud.html

This link doesn't work on Safari, but does on Firefox.
Others I don't know.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Yay Thanks!
No thank you! I hadn't seen this before. It's in Dawson's book, but mentioned only as it relates to Angels Flight. It's a wonderful Bunker pic because it also shoots right up there on the roof of the Astoria.

Besides those great porch chairs:

They run about up here—

—riding the flagpole from the top of the Astoria to its neighbor the Blackstone, and in the bg is a corner of the Conservative Life Bldg and its neighbor the Home Telephone Bldg, which we've talked about before.

huntington

Here's a reverse shot:

usc

Note you can see the backside of the distinctive roofline of the YWCA/Belmont Hotel Bldg—

Screen shot 2017-03-02 at 4.29.02 PM by DLZ127, on Flickr

And there of course on the corner of 3rd and Hill is the FP Fay Bldg:

pinterest

Again, wow! Yesterday I found those images of the Clark Hotel garage, and now this? What have I done to deserve it all??

Also, I was wrong about the bank! The 1925 directory lists a Hellman Commercial Trust & Savings at 256 S Olive.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 3:09 AM

Thanks for that great run-down of the surrounding buildings!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:27 AM

re: Hollygrove Fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
There's a similar sign north of the main entrance on El Centro e_r, it's the address:

gsv
Hey, thanks for this excellent clue t2.

I used the gsv-time machine to check out the fence & plant situation at an earlier time.

Look what I found on the opposite side of the gate! (the missing Hollygrove sign!)

gsv

Today it's quite overgrown. (as t2 can attest to)

gsv

a closer look from a few yrs ago

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 3, 2017 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:57 AM

Los Angeles Orphans Home Society (Hollygrove), October 31, 1937.

H A L L O W E E N

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shushm...7628208066431/

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 3, 2017 at 6:50 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 6:38 AM

I can't say I'm not tempted, but if I don't spend my money on the upkeep of my own vintage house, the City might declare the neighborhood "blighted" and take it all by eminent domain...

...at a forthcoming Moran auction (see here), an oft-discussed view on this forum.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 6:47 AM

I don't recall seeing Happy Hacker's Casablanca on NLA.

ebay

6066 Wilshire Boulevard

Saturday night...Dec. 8, 1945

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 2:56 PM

Quote:
I've just found this Dick Whittington photoset titled "Tanner cars at Mt. Wilson, American Chemical Society trip, Southern California, 1927". While there are several pictures of the cars on Mt Wilson, it looks like the trip started on W 5th Street, outside the Grand Central Garage.

USC Digital Library

Here's a closer view of the entrance.

Detail of picture above

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 3:05 PM

Per available CD's, 6066 Wilshire had numerous iterations including: Cat & the Fiddle Club (1934); McDonell's (1942) and Sixty-Three-Hundred Club (1956-1960-?). Happy Hackers Casablanca was likely short lived. Numerous structures and additions on the property prior to the Seibu Department Store in early '60s and structures were moved on the same plot, to make room for other structures. Notably there was also a Gilmore Station at the location that, from memory, morphed into a Standard Station.

Same general area has received NLA attention.
6040 Wilshire was the Geller Theater. For starters: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=32923 and http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=25058

The area always in transition. Simon's footprint still evident. MayCo appears to be busting at the seams. (Wish this were still the case. Vaguely recall their Mezzanine which afforded a nice view of the first floor.)

Last edited by Tourmaline; Mar 3, 2017 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I thought I recalled the Lonnie character saying that ("Why Hud") to Hud; maybe not?

I read this online, looks like it was a marketing idea:

Paramount was worried about how the movie would do, especially because its central character was such an unlikable person, and they created a VERY unusual ad campaign, starting with a 24-sheet that solely showed an image of Newman in a small part of it, with the words "Why Hud?", and much of the 24-sheet blank. They wanted to create a mystery as to what the movie was about, in the hopes that people would not have preconceived notions and go see it, feeling that once they did, they would recognize what a quality movie it was, and this marketing strategy obviously worked, because the movie was very successful.

Here's a section of that 24 sheet shown here:
https://www.movieposter.com/poster/b70-3534/Hud.html

This link doesn't work on Safari, but does on Firefox.
Others I don't know.
Back in '63 "Hud"was thought to be a very odd name for a film (McMurtry's name for the character was Hudson, "Hud"for short. Newman won an Oscar for "The Hustler" and got the idea that titles beginning with an "H" were good luck for him (he won another for "Hud." There followed others: "Harper," "Hombre" and so forth. That's star power.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:04 PM

Before the (need for) parking garages.

I thought I'd take a quick look at the locations of the recently mentioned parking garages on 4th and 5th Streets before the garages were built. These two photos are from the same set, which USC date as circa 1910. In the first, the Grand Haven furnished rooms stands at 535 W 5th Street - the future site of the Grand Central Garage. The Grand Haven name is in the CDs from 1908 to 1920. There's a demo permit for a "hotel" at 535 W 5th Street dated 03/22/1920.

It took me a while to realize that the large white building behind the Grand Haven was the Engstrum. Although we have seen the side before, it's normally hidden by the Edison. In the background is the Huntley. The State Normal School on the left, and the Sherwood Apartments on the right, can both be seen more complete on the original image.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

The Mumford (which I can't find on NLA) had already made way for the Savoy Auto Park.
I tried to find a picture of the Mumford, but had to make do with this rear view (arrowed). It's where the Savoy Auto Park would be built a few years later. The lot opposite, where the Hotel Clarke Garage would soon appear, seems to be empty. A corner of the Antlers is just visible. MichaelRyerson posted a great large version of the full photo in post #21466, complete with a detailed description of everything in it.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 6:31 PM

Thank you for the great photos HossC.

Do you know what's going on above the parapet of R.B. Young's 1911 building for Mr Engstrum in that 1927 photo? I thought it was a sign at first, but in detail appears to be posts. The apartments were called both the "Barron" and "Westonia" (I think) at different times in early days. The later "Engstrum" sign was set at an angle:

usc dl

Last edited by tovangar2; Mar 3, 2017 at 7:29 PM. Reason: correction

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos