HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 11:03 PM

LAPL

Google

It's always great to see a building in L.A. survive, even if purpose or signage has changed. But the First Baptist Church is not only still at 8th and Westmoreland--its purpose and even signage is almost the same as it was in 1927.

The First Baptist Church had two prior buildings...
LAPL
6th and Fort (later Broadway), 1884-1898

LAPL
725 S. Flower, 1898-1927

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:40 AM

My father's in the hospital so I'll be gone for a few days. See ya when I get back.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 1:56 PM

North of the Stack

Calisphere
The Mayo Motel was at 840 N. Figueroa, now the corner of Figueroa Terrace and New
Depot Street. Great banner.

Ebay
Card dated 1954. Not sure how even numbers
came to be on the west side of Figueroa Terrace.

Google
The Mayo Motel was on the site of the apartment building at left (addressed for its main entrance around the corner
on New Depot Street). The house just to the Mayo's north appears to still be there:

Google
Dang those trees.

We're in the Teed Street neighborhood we looked into not too long ago. Here are some other
domestic remnants, some of which seem very old indeed--possibly even as old as the vanished
J.W. Robinson house:

Google
The house on the left is on New Depot; the one on the right, across from the Mayo site, practically hangs over the freeway.

Sorry to hear about your dad, e_r. Hope he'll get well soon.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 1:46 AM
Dallas, TX

Edward Weston

Since I posted Ansel Adams earlier here are some Edward Weston prints of LA:
Edward Weston, Plaster Works, Los Angeles, 1925

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 1:53 AM
Dallas, TX

Edward Weston

Another Edward Weston:
Edward Weston, Factory, Los Angeles, 1925

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 3:41 AM

I was looking for a picture of Eastside Market and came across this funky looking building on the SW corner of 8th and Olive

1927 LAPL

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:10 AM

I'm new to this forum but would like to chime in from time to time. I have been to this spot, the ruins of Echo Mountain Resort. Not much to see there now except it is at the top of the incline, which you can see down the path toward the bottom. It is not near the top of Mt. Lowe, that is probably another mile and a half up. Never made it all the way to the top. Amazing that tracks used to go all the way and hardly a trace left these days.
PS, Well as I said. I am new and my comment didn't land anywhere near the Echo Mountain page where I wanted this to go. If you can give me some pointers I'd appreciate it. And why does it say I am posting at 5:10 AM when it is 9:10 PM Pacific Time when I am posting this?

Last edited by alanlutz; Feb 29, 2012 at 5:13 AM. Reason: Not what I expected

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 6:38 AM

Oscar winners, March 2, 1944, Grauman's Chinese Theatre (the first year that the Oscars were held in a theater as opposed to a dinner banquet format).
Left to right, Best Actor Paul Lukas ("Watch on the Rhine"), Best Actress Jennifer Jones ("The Song of Bernadette"), Best Supporting Actress Katina Paxinou ("For Whom the Bell Tolls"), and Best Supporting Actor Charles Coburn ("The More the Merrier").

oscars.org

Here's a radio transcript of that night. Very interesting.
KFWB's 1944 Academy Awards Broadcast, from Grauman's Chinese Theatre, honoring movies released in 1943.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlutz View Post
And why does it say I am posting at 5:10 AM when it is 9:10 PM Pacific Time when I am posting this?
Greenwich Mean Time. Pretty sure Skyscraper's default is GMT.
I gave a cursory check to see if the user can change it. I didn't see it.

Wouldn't worry about it.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 5:12 PM

Los Angeles High School, under construction and finished, ca. 1917

And finished once again--April/May 1971:

4650 West Tenth became 4650 West Olympic in the late '20s. Not new pics to the thread, but
I'm hoping that their drama will excuse the repetition....

And the infamous, architecturally heinous replacement:

Google
Only the lamppost remains [more or less] the same.

Top 4 pics: Snap Man

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 6:09 PM
You can call me David

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlutz View Post
I'm new to this forum but would like to chime in from time to time. I have been to this spot, the ruins of Echo Mountain Resort. Not much to see there now except it is at the top of the incline, which you can see down the path toward the bottom. It is not near the top of Mt. Lowe, that is probably another mile and a half up. Never made it all the way to the top. Amazing that tracks used to go all the way and hardly a trace left these days.
PS, Well as I said. I am new and my comment didn't land anywhere near the Echo Mountain page where I wanted this to go. If you can give me some pointers I'd appreciate it. And why does it say I am posting at 5:10 AM when it is 9:10 PM Pacific Time when I am posting this?
Hi, and welcome to the thread!

A month or so ago I became very interested in Echo Mountain and Mt. Lowe. I did a bunch of research into the history and then did the long hike to both locations with a group of friends. (13 miles total.)

It became clear after seeing both places that when the line was running, all the action was at Echo Mountain, and Mt. Lowe, much higher up, was more of side trip. In fact I was surprised to find that Mt. Lowe is sort of tucked into an upper canyon and has no view. To see the view you had to walk or take the "One man and a mule" line to Inspiration Point, about a half mile further up. The following are all good links -- especially the first one, which has loads of great images:

http://www.mountlowe.org/gallery/artifacts

http://www.mountlowe.org/staticpages...p?page=history

http://www.mtlowe.net/brief_history.htm

http://www.thaddeuslowe.name/mlechohouse.htm

Re the location of your comments on the thread, this forum works like a blog, with all replies in chronological order. You can include previous text and photos in your reply using the quote button, but a new reply will always appear on the newest page of the thread.

You can set your local time zone by going to User Control Panel, and then Edit Options.

http://www.mountlowe.org/albums/Adve..._Pacific_E.jpg

Also - excellent photos, rcarlton and westcork. Thanks!

Last edited by 3940dxer; Feb 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 6:39 PM

Theodore Roosevelt High School, Boyle Heights

LAPL

And at the time of a January 1949 fire. (Bunsen burner?)

LAPL
Some sources have it that the fire caused the main part of the building to be reduced from four to three stories.

Google
The original Fickett Street entrance is now hidden in the middle of campus.

Google

At first I thought that the school's original buildings were gone (as with LAHS), but it turns out that they still stand in
the middle of newer construction. The original address was 450 S. Fickett; Fickett between 4th and 6th streets is now
closed, and the school's official address is 456 S. Mathews St. View above is from 6th Street.

Historic Map Works

An original building that is gone from campus is the one:

LAPL
The LAPL's caption: "Roosevelt High School students today are furnishing this 10-room, two-story English brick house
built on the campus for educational and social purposes. All carpentry, brick and other construction work on the
house was done by boys in the various trade classes. Drapes and some other interior furnishings are the handiwork
of girl students. It is called the Edith Roosevelt house in honor of the widow of President "Teddy" Roosevelt, for
whom the school is named. Photo dated January 28, 1931."

Roosevelt High opened in 1923. Appropriately enough, it's the home of the Rough Riders--somewhere around 5,000 of
them, making it one the largest high schools in the country and neck-and-neck with Belmont in terms of the largest
in L.A. One oddity is the presence of a fountain on campus named for Nazi tool Charles Lindbergh... not sure when
it was named, but considering the heritage of Boyle Heights.... Another footnote is that a Japanese garden on
campus, demolished during WWII, has been rebuilt. Lots of history represented on this one campus.

Lagniappe: As I've said many times before... I find the east side of L.A. to have
perhaps the most interesting and certainly the most overlooked neighborhoods in the
city. In a district with a mainly bungalow-height skyline, this Victorian gem stood out:

Google
It's at the southeast corner of Eagle and Mott, adjacent
to the school.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 8:40 PM

I went to John C. Fremont High School 1949-52...nothing left of the original buildings except the auditorium...anyone have any photos of the original campus...

Top 4 pics: Snap Man[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 9:12 PM

LAPL

LAPL

I was curious about the little Islamic dome in a shot used in my post about Roosevelt High School (fragment above).... It's still there, and the building has an interesting history. Sources vary as to its original use; some mention a plaque indicating that it was built in 1904 as the Euclid Heights Methodist Church. But a church by that exact name was listed just two blocks north in the 1909 CD (the building is still there)... by 1923--and thru at least 1942-- the church's address was 539 Euclid Ave...the later Casa del Mexicano. So my guess would be that it was actually built as a synagogue and then became Methodist. (I've seen no pictures of it in either Methodist or Jewish "vestments." Anyway, the Mexicans began to move into the area and in 1950, the building became the Casa del Mexicano, a cultural and performing arts center.

As it appears today from heaven:
Google

The interior is worth a look too:

More pics and info where this shot came from: http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels...sdowntown2010/

More reading:
Los Angeles Times, July 31, 2008

Los Angeles Times, February 15, 2011

It's even haunted:
http://www.scspr.org/investigations/mexicanofb.htm

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpjr View Post
I went to John C. Fremont High School 1949-52...nothing left of the original buildings except the auditorium...anyone have any photos of the original campus...

May 1925

April 1927

December 1932
All LAPL

Now:
Google

And this one's kind of fun:
USCDL
A stock show at Fremont High School-- undated, but it looks like it might be around the time
you were there, rbpjr.

The auditorium now:
Google

PS Not many pictures of buildings, but here's a 1950 Fremontian... you can read it HERE with a loup (click on the upper left pic with "page 5" under it to start) or subscribe to http://www.e-yearbook.com/sp/eybb?sc...=2&startpage=6

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Feb 29, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 10:35 PM

Speaking of Fremont...

Card Cow

We've seen the Fremont at 4th and Olive on Bunker Hill--noir ground zero--from time to
time since ethereal's founding of the thread nearly three years ago. I've had this pic in my
computer for a while now--I know it's colorized for a postcard, but it sure is pretty... rbpjr's
query about John C. Fremont High School reminded me of it.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2012, 11:41 PM

And this one's kind of fun:
USCDL
A stock show at Fremont High School-- undated, but it looks like it might be around the time
you were there, rbpjr.

Thanks, Gaylord...great aerials of the old stomp'n ground...all I have is a 1951 yearbook from those days...I don't remember having a stock show, on campus, but the boys are certainly dressed 50's style. Ah, those were the days!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 1:33 AM

i sure do hate they tore down a bunch of the older high schools before i was born,i grew up in the la high area and the rumor is that the new school was designed by a prision inmate which is why it looks like a prison.I went to uni hi and it still has its original main building but the auditorium got torn down around the same time as la and fairfax high(the ppl who demolished it went out of business because it took so much to tare down the aud which was only 27 years old at the time).So was it really worth getting rid of these buildings after the sylmar quake,were they that damaged?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 1:49 AM

Tempest Storm is 84 today! Born February 29th, 1928.

http://www.dlisted.com/

Even though wikipedia says her professional debut was at the El Rey Theater in Oakland, CA.....most sources say she began her career
at the Follies Theater 337 S. Main Street, Los Angeles. (see below)

http://burleskateer.tumblr.com/post/...es-theatre-as-

below: Main St. Follies, The Sexpots of L.A.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3960848...3030/lightbox/

Lili is Lili St. Cyr.....not sure who Tanya and Mavis were.
This 'poster' hangs in the bar at Cole's 118 E. 6th Street, Los Angeles. (yes, that Cole's)

below:

Tempest Storm back in the day.

____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 1, 2012 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2012, 2:01 AM

Happy Birthday to Betty. She's looking pretty good for 84. Wonder when that latest picture was taken and what is she up to these days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos