HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
Am I the only one haunted by the Hall of Records? What a spooky building.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...=1347819638823

The aging Hall of Records Building in 1959. I guess you're right, it is kinda spooky.
__

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 6:41 PM

A rare look inside the old Hall of Records circa 1951. My God, how tall do you think that ceiling is?

"Look Eunice, there's a bird on the molding." (as well as a spooky looking guy in the doorway)

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
[Sam's Rite Spot on Chautauqua Blvd and PCH in Santa Monica (undated)
USC Digital[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Some of the gals down at the Chautauqua (actually the Pacific Coast Highway) Rite Spot celebrating The Resurrection...

Waitresses at Rite Spot restaurant wear Easter bonnets, 1957

8th annual Easter pageant at the Rite Spot restaurant, 24- hour highway eatery at 412 West Pacific Coast Highway, in Santa Monica. All the waitresses wear fancy Easter bonnets. Pix shows gals (don't forget to pan right) behind counter serving coffee etc. to counter diners. Gals, left to right (that's background to foreground): Janie Hughes; Jo Andre; Frances Beebe; Ruby Reeves; Merle Denlinger; Pauline Shideler; Judy Nicholson; Mildred Tynon; Dorothy Peyton. Customer at left foreground is Ross Lawrence".

USCdigital archive/Los Angeles Examiner Negatives Collection, 1950-1961

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Oct 26, 2012 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 8:47 PM

Good lord I love this thread! After falling off the wagon in early July I have now finally caught back up to y'all and my only regret is I wish I had more to read! Unfortunately I don't have any new-old stuff to share but I do have this funky neo-retro-electro-whatever image that I made:

You can take it or leave it

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 9:07 PM

Very interesting!
__

Cabinet card found on ebay.

Dracena Palms, Adams Street.

reverse

The view is very similar to this photograph from USC Digital Archives (probably been posted before).

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...hs-m14252.html
__

View from the dining room balcony of the Automobile Club Building, showing congestion at Adams Street & Figueroa.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...=1347828708673

below: The location of the photographer.
The Automobile Club of Southern California, located at 2601 S. Figueroa (it still stands today)

http://waterandpower.org/museum/Earl...1925%20+).html

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 9:50 PM

Beautiful shot, handsome house, no date, no address

Exterior view of a two-story house on North Flower Street in Los Angeles, C.C. Pierce, [s.d.]

Photograph of an exterior view of a two-story house on North Flower Street in Los Angeles, [s.d.]. The house is a small structure with a wide front porch held up by Romanesque columns. The walls of the building are decorated extensively with intricate molding. A second-story balcony can be seen above the front door. Concrete steps lead from the street at right up to the front porch.

USCdigital archive/Title Insurance and Trust / C.C. Pierce Photography Collection, 1860-1960

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 11:26 PM

World headquarters of the Tidewater Oil Company. 1956 by architect Claud Beelman.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79761301@N00/7298136398/

Some people have called it 'California Stalinist', but I have to admit that I like it.

google street view

ebay
__

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Some people have called it 'California Stalinist', but I have to admit that I like it.
Ha! Gotta say I'm a fan of it too.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

Exterior view of a two-story house on North Flower Street in Los Angeles, C.C. Pierce, [s.d.]

Photograph of an exterior view of a two-story house on North Flower Street in Los Angeles, [s.d.]. The house is a small structure with a wide front porch held up by Romanesque columns. The walls of the building are decorated extensively with intricate molding. A second-story balcony can be seen above the front door. Concrete steps lead from the street at right up to the front porch.

USCdigital archive/Title Insurance and Trust / C.C. Pierce Photography Collection, 1860-1960
This was the J. Ruber home @ 145 N.Flower s/w corner of intersection with Court St. - the 5 story sheer drop down to Figueroa was in its backyard---Don't miss my old-timey BunkerHill slideshow @ Larry Edmunds Books on Tues @ 7 p.m.(and Jim Dawson's book signing) 6644 Hollywood Blvd - @ Cherokee--

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 5:25 AM

The Monterey Apartments at 3212 South Main Street.

ebay

reverse

below: The Monterey Apartments today.

google street view

google street view

__

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
This was the J. Ruber home @ 145 N.Flower s/w corner of intersection with Court St. - the 5 story sheer drop down to Figueroa was in its backyard---Don't miss my old-timey BunkerHill slideshow @ Larry Edmunds Books on Tues @ 7 p.m.(and Jim Dawson's book signing) 6644 Hollywood Blvd - @ Cherokee--
Thank you, Rick, I'd made a bet with myself that it would be you or Gaylord Wilshire that'd come up with the info on ths lovely home. As to your slideshow, I wouldn't miss it were it not for my unfortunate circumstances. I live in Houston, far from my Los Angeles, a situation driven solely by economics. My wife and son, also native Angelinos, seem to get home once or twice a year but, alas, Dad doesn't do quite so well. My last visit was in 2008 and it doesn't look like I'll be back before a family wedding in January. Drat! Good luck with the show. I'm sure it'll be a smash.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 12:23 PM

In the shadows, in the doorways, the alleyways, in the flops, hot sheets and decrepit

bungalows, the plans would spring forth as though with a life of their own...

Los Angeles City Hall, 1 January 1953.

Noir City. It was his town. And it always would be.

Gardena murder suspect at Sheriff's Office, 1954

Gardena murder suspect at Sheriff's Office, 20 May 1954. Frederick F. 'Freddy' Bullard -- 35 years (confessed killer of James Francis Greenway).

Vice (Morals Charges), 1956

Vice (Morals Charges), 24 September 1956. Melinda Short - 25 years; Kim Evans - 26 years.

Caption slip reads: "Photographer: Lapp. Date: 1956-09-24. Reporter: Harmon. Assignment: Ladies. Left to Right: 4/53/54: Melinda Short, 25, curvaceous blonde secretary, and Kim Evans, 26, brunette entertainer, play gin rummy after arrest on suspicion of whoring at 1700 West Boulevard. Grab shots of Melinda, with purse, and Kim, kerchief covrd [sic]. 17/39: 17/39: Melinda Short, 25, alone". Love the dark glasses. A perfect touch.

Nighttime view looking northeast from City Hall tower, 1941

Noir view of Main Street, Los Angeles Street, Calle de los Negros, Union Station and Terminal Annex, 1941

USCdigital archive/Los Angeles Examiner Prints Collection, late 1920's - 1961

Beitz murder story, 1952

Beitz murder story, 27 January 1952. Robert L. Pennington, Jr -- 31 years; Helen Janice Beitz -- 31 years (victim). As soon as I saw this guy’s shoes and socks, I knew he was trouble.

Sentenced (attempted murder), 1958

Sandra Dianne Erickson, 20, after she had been sentenced to a term of 1 to 14 years in state prison in the attempted murder of two Malibu deputy sheriffs. Her brother, Leo Nelson, 26, also was sentenced".

Murder in front of 663 Lamar Street, 1952

Murder in front of 663 Lamar Street, 30 May 1952. Murder scene; Body of Fernando Reyes -- 17 years (shot and killed in street brawl) 1726 1/2 Clover Street; "Choppie" Reyes (brother of dead boy); Louis Barrera -- 17 years (friend of Reyes); William Humm (Deputy); Don Joseph (Deputy); Detective T.F. McGovern. Boy walking around officer on far left is Louis Barrera, 17. Shows murder scene, where Fernando Reyes lies dead". ‘Choppie’? Your kid comes home with a nickname like ‘Choppie’ and you’ve got to know there’s trouble brewing. Lamar Street, east of the river in a tough part of town. But maybe they’re all tough parts of town.

Robbery suspects, May 1, 1951. Kenneth Christiansen; John Schultz; John Debellis.

I can just see these three lunkheads 'hatching' their plan. I wonder which one of them first said, 'Hey, listen, I've got an idea...'

Robbery suspects, May 1, 1951. Kenneth Christiansen; John Schultz; John Debellis. (2)

Three desperados again, slightly different pose. In the Big House, inmates gather to watch guys like this getting off the bus. The two Johns seem to be ‘in the moment’ but Kenneth is starting to daydream about the future and it ain’t pretty.

Women robbery suspects, 13 August 1952. Ida Mae Benton; Edith G. Weatherby; Betty Coulter.

And just so we don't start thinking the boys have a monopoly on lunkheadism, I give you Edith, Betty and Ida Mae, three girls with an idea of their own.

Robbery suspect, 1952

Robbery suspect, 2 June 1952. Robert George Livingston -- 29 years (suspect); Detective L.M. Colbern; Livingston stole tire from detective's car in Inglewood. Robert George Livingston, 29-year-old robbery suspect, and Detective L.M. Colbern with tire which Livingston stole from detective's car in Inglewood. Robert George Livingston, whose carelessness today cost him his freedom and an admission that he held up 13 liquor stores and gas stations, stole a tire and wheel from a police detective, and then attempted to rob a liquor store bandit (who happened to be armed himself)". No, I can't make this stuff up.

Alimony hearing, 1958

Alimony hearing, 30 September 1958. Art Aragon. The Golden Boy contemplates a future without Georgina.

Annulment, 1960

Annulment, 8 January 1960. Sandy Hagen -- 19 years (annulment) (Mickey Cohen's girlfriend, aka Claretta Etie) ; Claudine Hagen (sister)-- 20 years.

Vice raid, Laurel Canyon, 1954

Betty Berta (suspect) at bar talking to officers.

Vice raid, Laurel Canyon, 1954 (2)

Betty Berta (suspect) and Robin Jewel Kidd (suspect) leaving house". Happy Lane. Natch.

Narcotics raid at 571 South Coronado, 1958.

Narcotics raid at 571 South Coronado, 13 February 1958. Barbara Graham (suspect) comforts a handcuffed Edward Timmons (suspect).

Raid suspects (prostitutes), 1951 (2)

The Lair. Unfortunately, no address. If you look closely, you can just see the vice officers leading 'the girls' out.

Raid suspects (prostitutes), 1951

Raid suspects (prostitutes), April 6, 1951. Sheila McDonald -- 25 years; Gloria Joffee -- 22 years. Sheila is, apparently, not the shy, retiring type.

Vice raid Hollywood Eagles Club -- 1203 North Vermont Avenue, 1951

Vice raid Hollywood Eagles Club -- 1203 North Vermont Avenue, May 18, 1951. Unidentified girls picked up in vice raid.

Vice raid Hollywood Eagles Club -- 1203 North Vermont Avenue, 1951 (2)

Vice raid Hollywood Eagles Club -- 1203 North Vermont Avenue, May 18, 1951. Unidentified girls picked up in vice raid. Charming.

Zsa Zsa Gabor Award, 1958

Zsa Zsa Gabor Award, 17 June 1958. Zsa Zsa Gabor (plaque as "most glamorous international personality of the year"); Gordon McRae (actor); Mrs. Rowan Klein. Gee, I've never heard of this award. Gordon's looking especially smarmy and Mrs. Klein can't quite believe she's standing there.

And sometimes there are no shadows…

Miss Los Angeles Contest, 1954

"Miss Los Angeles" Contest, 10 May 1954. Muriel Feltman -- 22 years; Shelly Smith -- 19 years. Blonde is Muriel Feltman, 22, of 11523 Athens Way. Other girl is Shelly Smith, 19, of 165 South Holliston Avenue, Pasadena.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 3:19 PM

Man posting Sabbath Reform League bills on a brick wall in Venice (s.d.)

Photograph of a man posting bills on a brick wall reading "Banish Sunday dancing in Venice and stopping Sunday baseball and theatres will be our next move! Sabbath Reform League". "Signs which were posted in Venice yesterday -- residents wonder whether these are by reformers opposed to dancing or whether it is 11th hour election ruse of pro-Sunday dancers" -- typed on verso.

USCdigital archive/Los Angeles Examiner Prints Collection, late 1920's - 1961

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 5:03 PM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;5833809]World headquarters of the Tidewater Oil Company. 1956 by architect Claud Beelman.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79761301@N00/7298136398/

I just noticed the EF Hutton office in the corner of the Tidewater Oil Company building. Does anyone remember their ads from the 70's?

Someone would say, "Well my broker is EF Hutton and EF Hutton says..."

and everyone in the restaurant or bus station or wherever the ad took place would put their hand to their ear and the announcer would say:

"When EF Hutton talks, people listen."

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 7:25 PM

Dance team divorce, 1958

Dance team divorce, 1958

Dance team divorce, 16 May 1958. Elaine and Rudolpho Andrian. Elaine Andrian, 37 and her husband, Rudolpho, 55, of Los Angeles, motion picture and night club circuit dance team in Santa Monica Superior Court where she has filed for divorce, announced "we will part as husband and wife -- we found we can't make it together -- but we will continue as a dance team".

Dance team divorce, 1958 (2)

I don't know Elaine, but I'd say Rudolpho's still got it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 7:41 PM

Robbery suspects, May 1, 1951. Kenneth Christiansen; John Schultz; John Debellis.

From USCdigital archive/Los Angeles Examiner Negatives Collection, 1950-1961, via Michael Ryerson.

Looks like the two on the left had somebody step on their blue suede shoes.

Wish I'd kept mine; probably worth a bunch on eBay these days.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 8:01 PM

[QUOTE=Earl Boebert;5834618Looks like the two on the left had somebody step on their blue suede shoes.

Wish I'd kept mine; probably worth a bunch on eBay these days.

Cheers,

Earl[/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too, Earl. I also had a pair of tan bucks that I admired. Wore 'em with a pair of Levis and a Pendleton shirt (and a 'Balboa' haircut! think Kirk Douglas in Spartacus, buzz cut on top and long on the sides and back. My mother went into a conniption fit when she saw it!) As for these goofballs, I'm beginning to suspect the guy on the right was the 'mastermind' although in this context that's not saying much.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 8:11 PM

Thanks for the car show pics. I always dissect pics that have old cars in them. So many have been lost. Anyways, a couple of follow-up things:
1) Skoda's are currently in production and available all over Europe.
2) The Berkeley was a "micocar" that was built in England. About 2500 were made.
3) The XP-300 is a famous concept car and was recently shown at the Pebble Beach Concours. Thankfully it has survived.
-Mike

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOliscous View Post
Thanks for the car show pics. I always dissect pics that have old cars in them. So many have been lost. Anyways, a couple of follow-up things:
1) Skoda's are currently in production and available all over Europe.
2) The Berkeley was a "micocar" that was built in England. About 2500 were made.
3) The XP-300 is a famous concept car and was recently shown at the Pebble Beach Concours. Thankfully it has survived.
-Mike
Thanks Mike, that's all very cool especially about the XP-300. Here's one for you...

1948 Buick Streamliner by Norman E. Timbs

The one and only 1948 Buick Streamliner by Norman E. Timbs. It's a shame that this lady was abandoned in the desert for almost 40 years.

image from motors: a car you'd like in your garage

1948 Buick Streamliner by Norman E. Timbs III

Until someone came along and lovingly rebuilt and restored it.

Image © Peter Harholdt for Amelia Island Concours, Gary & Diane Cerveny Collection

1948 Buick Streamliner by Norman E. Timbs II

1948 Buick Streamliner by Norman E_ Timbs (7)

Norman Timbs was a Los Angeles based auto designer who hand built the Buick Roadster and lived to see it resurrected.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 12:11 AM
Dallas, TX

Wow...what a beautiful car. I would love to see that restored on the History Channel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos