HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 12:27 AM

Sunny Day at Doheny and Sunset, circa July '57

Clean rest room!

Make mine Medium Well! Gypsy with a gold capped tooth? (Love Potion No. 9)
All from USC Digital

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 12:34 AM

Great photos Godzilla.
__

Castle Cottage Cheese, Los Angeles.

ebay

reverse

773______?

detail

below: Detail of the delivery truck.

__

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 12:51 AM

773 (now 771) Kohler Street... (between East 7th & 8th streets, 2 blocks west of Central.

Both GoogleSV

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:05 AM

Once a goddess, always a goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
He blew through the red at :38 and lingered on green at 1:30...Probably the lady. Heck, I paused the video to get a better look.
Somewhere there's a septuagenarian smiling b/c her ears are burning :-)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:31 AM

de-gilding the lilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Google SV
Previously posted by e_r:

eBay

Damn, they've painted out that great variegated brickwork. I love the diagonal detail just below the roofline. I guess this is why sand-blasters were invented.
Dunno if I'd buy any produce from them though. Housekeeping leaves something to be desired.

This is just diagonally through the block from where my 22-year-old daughter and her pals have just opened an art & music venue. Neighborhood's fine, inexpensive too.

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: add image

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:37 AM

Delivery On The Side

Not the same as the Cottage Cheese truck but similar. Maybe delivering Upside Down Cakes. Cottage Cheese factory looks like an old fire station to me.
[IMG][/IMG]
Sam Flowers Collection

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 1:38 AM

My jaw dropped open when I saw that before and after GaylordWilshire!

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 14, 2012 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
a great noirish image of the hollywood bowl during a campaign appearance by IKE in 1956

Life magazine

and some additional then and now's

nw corner of hilldale avenue and sunset boulevard 1936 and now

April 5, 1952 - 1208 Hilldale Ave., "Outta my way!"
USC Digital

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 2:25 AM

June 14, 1958 Art Sale on Sunset Strip

Gladys Robinson shows her paintings to Asa Maynor, "Miss Sunset Strip"

USC Digital

Asa and Bobby Darin
Bobbydarin.net

Yes, Asa from the Twilight Zone.
googlegoogle

More Asa
http://pictures.historicimages.net/p...95/4994947.jpg

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
latimes.com

We've seen them many times here before, but I like how the Melrose and the Hildreth house look in these newspaper photos... from the Times of July 28, 1940.
It was a beautiful place GW, I love this color photo:

lapl

looks like something was missing up at the top though.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 5:35 AM

Third Los Angeles Times building on Broadway

In today's L.A. Times

LA Times

"May 4, 1936: In a rooftop view looking down Broadway, the third Los Angeles Times building dominates the intersection at First St. In the background at the left is the current Times building."

"The third Los Angeles Times building opened on Oct. 1, 1912 — on the second anniversary of the bombing of the second Times building. It was used until the new Times Building was opened in 1935. The building was torn down in early 1938."

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 5:38 AM

Dredging up a couple posts from September about the old county courthouse cornerstone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
your cornerstone is on the move...

Courthouse ceremony

A crowd has gathered to remove the cornerstone of the old Los Angeles County Courthouse on May 20, 1936. The first Los Angeles County Courthouse was built in 1891(?) and is also as known as the "Red Sandstone Courthouse." Located at Spring and Temple, this building served as the courthouse until 1933, when it sustained damage in the Long Beach earthquake, and was demolished in 1936.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Wow, most excellent! Thank you for the great find! I'm still curious to know what items they found inside it...

Another question that's been bugging me: Where do you suppose the cornerstone was kept for the 36 years between the demolition of the old Court House and the erection of the present Justice Center on that site in 1972? That's a long time to keep something that large and that heavy in storage.
I have some partial answers to these questions. I came across a book called "Courthouses of California: an Illustrated History" in Google Books. I was published in 2001.

Excerpts from pages 287-288:

"In May 1936, when the building was nearly demolished, the Historical Society of Southern California invited Los Angelenos who had been present at the laying of the cornerstone in 1888 to witness its removal. Among those who attended was former State Senator R. F. Del Valle, a member of a prominent Spanish family and then the oldest practitioner at the local Bar.

The original cornerstone was located and the box placed in it nearly 50 years earlier was opened. A contemporary account of the ceremonies reports, "Golden California sunshine poured down, making it a typical California day. As the various mementos, newspapers, cards and programs came out of the box and were read by the Chairman, it was evident that the members of the crowd were stirred; applause and audible comments greeted many of the old mementos. Old men and ladies hugged and nudged each other when a program of a great dance held in Turnverein Hall appeared. The belles and beaux of yesterday certainly remembered that occasion."

The cornerstone of the old courthouse was kept in storage until the new courthouse was completed in 1959. It was then installed in a place of honor on the lawn of the new courthouse. A subsequent landscaping project removed the lawn and relocated the cornerstone to an elevated planter box. There was nothing to call attention to it or identify it. When someone turned it upside down, the date carved on it (1888) was obscured. There it sat for years, unnoticed. Only the curiosity of Superior Court Judge Gary Klausner led to its rediscovery in 1998. Plans are being made for the old cornerstone to be suitably displayed, perhaps in the criminal courts building, which now occupies the site of the old red sandstone courthouse."

As it was not yet in place when the book was published in 2001, it seems that the cornerstone has been in its current location next to the criminal courts building for a scant 11 years or less!

I searched the LA times web site for any mention of its placement but found nothing. However, on a different subject I did find a series of 4 blog posts from July 2008 featuring a wealth of vintage photos of Spring Street:

Spring Street, July 20, 2008
Spring Street Revisited, July 27, 2008
Spring Street Revisited, July 28
Spring Street Revisited, July 29

Perhaps they've been linked in the thread before, I dunno.
One of them mentions the cornerstone in its new location, so it was placed some time between 2001 and 2008.

Larry Harnisch's Daily Mirror blog has been linked here before in both incarnations - at the LA times for 4 years until 2011, and subsequently at www.ladailymirror.com.

Last edited by ProphetM; Dec 14, 2012 at 5:50 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 5:42 AM

I gotta do that hike one day.

For the record - I'm betting it was a State project, not something dreamt up willy-nilly by SGV residents.

Second, this effort is now seen as kind of a joke, a folly. It was eventually ditched, that is true. The 1938 floods made sure of that. (Mostly it was a cost-benefit decision, or course. Who knows if it was being constructed today, and similar floods struck, whether the same cost-benefit calculus would apply. They may have cleanup up the mess and pressed on. Maybe. Maybe not.)

I just took Hiway 1, through Big Sur, about a month ago. That was an ambitious project as well, constructed about the same time, and had plenty of detractors. There was nothing guaranteeing ITS successful completion either.

Today, of course, The Big Sur Highway is in the pantheon of California's most treasured attractions. No one can conceive of it NOT being there. But it's not inconceivable to think it might never have been finished either. (Just one plausible scenario: WWII breaks out before it is finished. Obviously construction is halted, and after the war the highway takes a back seat in priority, and never does get finished.)

Some luck, some timing, a flood......all the difference between a road known around the world and a footnote to a trivia question.

Just something to think about, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post
Back in the 1930's, the residents of the San Gabriel Valley decided that cutting a road through the San Gabriel Mountains
to the resort city of Wrightwood on the other side, was a good idea. The plan was to generally follow the East Fork of the
San Gabriel River. After a few years of blasting, road building, and bridge building, the Great Flood of 1938 came along and
washed it all away (except for one bridge).

www.scvresources.com

The bridge is not connected to anything and it takes a nine mile round trip hike to get up there. Its main use now seems to be for bungee jumping.

Google Maps

The Bridge to Nowhere comes by its name fairly, because it really is in the middle of nowhere. You can find it somewhere inside this red circle:

Google Maps

If anyone wants to attempt the hike, the instructions (with a nice video) are here:

http://www.losangeleshikingguide.hik...tional-forest/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 5:45 AM

The Lux Theater

It was located at 827 W. Third Street. According to the library, it used to be the Rose Theater and the Rex Theater. Anyone have any earlier photos?

lapl

lapl

lapl

lapl

It was located about here, past the west end of the Third Street tunnel.

Google Street View

Last edited by FredH; Dec 14, 2012 at 6:03 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 5:49 AM

Twilight Zone

1500 Wilshire Blvd., ca 1981
CalStLib

1950 Vendome Hotel Bunker Hill (don't believe I have seen this exact image posted)
CalStLib See http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...R6TCGB2K74.jpg

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 6:34 AM

Quote:
In today's L.A. Times

LA Times

"May 4, 1936: In a rooftop view looking down Broadway, the third Los Angeles Times building dominates the intersection at First St. In the background at the left is the current Times building."

"The third Los Angeles Times building opened on Oct. 1, 1912 — on the second anniversary of the bombing of the second Times building. It was used until the new Times Building was opened in 1935. The building was torn down in early 1938."
I wondered what that building was at the far left of the picture, next to the older Times building, so I went there with Google Earth.

If I were to pan down from the angle of this screen cap, you would see the foundation of the old state building on the left. How interesting - city hall wasn't the only government building downtown that had an older office building sitting on its front lawn!

Last edited by ProphetM; Dec 14, 2012 at 7:08 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 6:47 AM

1932 - Mott Studios

The buildings seem familiar. Could they have been on the north side of Wilshire across the street from the Wiltern Theater? The lattice work seems quite similar, but the buildings and businesses seem different.

1932 Martha Washington Candies ???

1932 "LA ART GALLERIES, LTD."
Cal.St.Lib

1939 NE corner of Wilshire and Western
USC Digital

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 7:09 AM

Bear/Rose/Rex/Anita/Lux + The Tunnel Theater

Quote:
It was located at 827 W. Third Street. According to the library, it used to be the Rose Theater and the Rex Theater. Anyone have any earlier photos?

lapl

It was located about here, past the west end of the Third Street tunnel.

Google Street View

Yes, almost at Figueroa (now the "grounds" of Bunker Hill Towers):

The Lux is just out of shot to the left in this 1949 pic
(one can see the vertical "Hotel" sign just to the east of the theater):

Photo: Max Yavno from The Los Angeles Book co-authoed by Lee Shippy, Houghton Mifflin (1950)

Too bad this gorgeous shot, previously posted by ethereal_reality, wasn't taken from a block and a half further west:

usc digital archive

Damn, look at that ragtop.

What a wasteland these two blocks are now.

P.S.
No earlier photo, but here's an even later one. 1965
The Lux appears to be gone, but the hotel's still there:

LAPL

"LUX Theater:
827 W. 3rd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90071

This little theatre just east of Figueroa opened prior to 1914 as the Bear Theatre then became the Rose. It's listed as the Rose in the 1917, 1918 and 1919 city directories.
By 1929 it was known as the Rex it had a long career running lots of westerns. By 1939 it was known as the Lux except for a brief fling as the Anita. It was operated in the early 60's by Harold Wenzler, who later ran the Granada on Temple St.

Seating: 500
Status: Demolished as part of the Bunker Hill redevelopment project."

- quoted from Downtown Los Angeles Theatres
https://sites.google.com/site/downto...ll-st-theatres

Some interesting and norish comments re Harold Wenzler (mentioned in the quote above) when he moved to the
Oaks Theater, Pasadena after both the Lux and Granada had closed:
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/3497/comments

There was another theater on this strip. The Tunnel Theater (1914) was at 712 W 3rd between Hope and Flower (south side of 3rd).
The site is now inside the loading dock of 1974's 333 S Hope Tower (Bank of America Plaza):

google sv

Pic here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3345511...57626195546712
gsjansen/flickr
(an all-rights-reserved grab from Bucket of Blood, 1959)

...and this one (the Tower Theater is the single-story, hipped-roof building on the left and LOL, I just noticed there's a "chop suey" sign on the right.
Check out the rooftop washing line on the right too. These two blocks had everything):

lapl (William Reagh, 1940)

Both photos linked from http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/20860/comments. There's more photo links at the link.

P.P.S.

Another 1965 view:

usc digital archive

A circa 1970 long shot including 3rd Street between Hope and Figueroa. The land cleared, Bunker Hill Towers (Wm Pereira, 1969) built, the western extension to the 3rd St tunnel built, 333 S Hope Tower and the WTC not yet started:

LAPL

(One of my sons just looked at this post and related how last year he and our friend Alex (RIP) were running from the cops north on Flower from 3rd and all he could think of was if it was only how it used to be here they would have had someplace to hide (he'only 24, but he knows and loves old LA from photos), but they got away in the end anyway.)

1903 (with all the bare ground and missing streets, looking strangely like 1965):

lapl

(The three shots immediately above first posted by gsjansen)

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM. Reason: add P.P.S.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 7:32 AM

Rod Serling comes back to haunt me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
Twilight Zone
1500 Wilshire Blvd., ca 1981
CalStLib
What a heartbreaker. I keep trying to think of an LA building built in the last 40 years or so that I'd miss if it got torn down. I haven't come up with anything yet.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2012, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Dredging up a couple posts from September about the old county courthouse cornerstone:
Fantastic! That pretty much wraps up the story of the cornerstone, then. Hope you don't mind if I link to your post in my blog. Thanks!

-Scott

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos