HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Well, what else can they do about the crossing? There is no room to build it at-grade. And even if they build at-grade, there may still be problems if they didn't leave enough room...
Y'know, I thought about this a little; the ultimate buildout for Highway 1 was always listed at 8 lanes... but now it seems the 'ultimate' buildout would be 10 lanes with collector and express lanes, and thats not necessarily required along the entire length of the Burnaby Section. So, if they do end up going to a C/D configuration, all they have to do is build the outside (distributor) lanes on the other side of the skytrain columns... I don't see the harm in separating the roadway since C/D lanes are usually separated by a barrier anyway.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2011, 6:46 PM

The lanes will split at the 192 St overpass in the interim, unless there's a replacement I'm unaware of?

Was thinking, 200 St is close enough that they can begin the off ramp there...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 8:05 PM

It's not 10 lanes to Langley or Vancouver. I thought the 10 lane stretch was simply from ~152nd in Surrey to Cape Horn in Coquitlam. AKA 2 lanes in either direction are specific for that crossing between Surrey and Coquitlam. The rest of the highway will at maximum be 4 lanes either direction (3 + HOV) so 8 lanes total.

Or am I wrong?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 8:19 PM

Yep, that is right, a good design too. This way the Port Mann acts as two bridges in a sense, a local connector for people only crossing the river and the regional thoroughfare.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 11:34 PM

Found a new MKII!

From the webcam today:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
The lanes will split at the 192 St overpass in the interim, unless there's a replacement I'm unaware of?

Was thinking, 200 St is close enough that they can begin the off ramp there...
the HOV lanes will divert around the bridge pier at the 192 Street overpass for the interim. There will be a full interchange there one day, but that likely is a way's away.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Found a new MKII!

From the webcam today:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Oh my god, what does it mean?

But to me it looks like between the 2 Skytrain pillars there is room for more than 8 lanes, if they rebuilt everything. So it doesn't seem like that bad planning. Plus it is good advertising. So when people are stuck in traffic waiting to get to first ave, they see the Skytrain fly past, unobstructed, with the people on it whizzing on with their lives.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 9:08 AM

more pics please

please please more pics of the balanced cantilever spans on the north bank. I would take them myself but I am so far away.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 8:36 PM

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 4:52 AM

Original Route

Does anyone know why when they originally built Highway #1, they went south of Burnaby Lake, and not North? It seems to me they could have gone straight on the north side, but they took the long way around on the south side(Just look at an satellite view). I have been wondering about this since I was a kid, and of course, Dad didn't know.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:04 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
Does anyone know why when they originally built Highway #1, they went south of Burnaby Lake, and not North? It seems to me they could have gone straight on the north side, but they took the long way around on the south side(Just look at an satellite view). I have been wondering about this since I was a kid, and of course, Dad didn't know.
I'm going to contribute to a thought but I really don't know and have no concrete evidence to back this up...

But anyway... looking at the Interurban map

(via Buzzer)

Notice that the old interurban follows along the South side of Burnaby lake, as opposed the CN rail route that uses the north side today. And given that the development of the Interurban came before Highway 1, I think the highway took the south route to take advantage of the ROW that was already cleared.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Notice that the old interurban follows along the South side of Burnaby lake, as opposed the CN rail route that uses the north side today. And given that the development of the Interurban came before Highway 1, I think the highway took the south route to take advantage of the ROW that was already cleared.
I think you're onto something there. Plus it would be land already owned by the provincial government (through their ownership of BC Hydro), so no need to buy/negotiate anything.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 12:20 AM

That makes a lot of sense.
Looks like the Burnaby Lake Line ran down 1st Ave (accounting for the wide RoW with median?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 10:51 PM

From what I was able to see Saturday late afternoon, they had done some paving on Hwy 1 around King Edward to return the highway back to its original alignment. That was fast, all I gotta say. Too bad King Edward webcam has been shut down.

Also, Exit 44 EB (Lougheed Hwy/United Blvd) has been returned to its original location. It's a tight curve.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
From what I was able to see Saturday late afternoon, ...
Thanks for the pic - that's a new steel girder on that single column support just in front of the Cape Horn overpass - so it should go over Hwy 1 soon to that bent that's closer to the overpass.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 6:41 AM

the 176th interchange has changed of as today - according to some news1130 tweets

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the 176th interchange has changed of as today - according to some news1130 tweets
Drove through there yesterday wasting time before I had to be in Fleetwood. SB Hwy 15 to WB Hwy 1 has completely switched. 104th EB between 168th-176th is really quite the maze now. I didn't really study the new alignment that much, but SB Hwy 15 to EB Hwy 1 is still the same.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
104th EB between 168th-176th is really quite the maze now.
I discovered that the hard way on my way home on Thursday night. Exit 50, across the bridge, down and around to 104th was so simple. Now? Exit 50, divert away from the bridge, down along the north side of the highway, almost get to the 152 underpass, double back along the highway and exit at 160th.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 10:35 PM

Wrong stretch of 104th.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Wrong stretch of 104th.
I wanted to see how the SFPR was coming along through Fraser Heights. Understatement of the year!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure