HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 7:59 PM

it was already projected to open ahead of time anyway so they are back to the original timeline - it wasn't supposed to open until 2013

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 8:11 PM
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnabyAaron View Post
If the piece is damaged or irretrievable, which my guess it would be, I don't know how far the piece fell, but thats not something concrete is made for, there is a number to keep in mind prior to a new piece being created.
(this type of construction does use specific pieces in specific places)

28 days. That is the amount of time for the concrete to cure to 90% of its compressive strength. After that it'll taper off towards 100% which it will reach who knows when. (I believe 100% would is an asymptote)

So 28 days from the time its poured, getting the concrete isn't hard, they know whats needed in terms of the mix. They'll do all the testing as its poured, and compression testing will probably be done at 1, 7, 14 and 28 days (if I'm remembering the important times there right)

Hardest thing I can think of is getting the forms perfect, the very well might have taken their production facilities down awhile ago when they finished all the prefab pieces. Could be just a giant storage yard now.
I would guess the critical path here is the actual Crane. you have to salvage whats there, asses the damage and custom build any replaceable pieces. That's a big questions mark for a timeline.

In other words, 2 months doesn't seem to long for this at all. But that only makes sense if the approach was going to finish after the bridge span, It looked ahead of the bridge to me, so while this could delay the approach, the bridge could still finish on time.
Word is that the segment struck a pier on the way down. I wouldn't trust it, but I'm no engineer.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
If the piece is damaged or irretrievable, which my guess it would be, I don't know how far the piece fell, but thats not something concrete is made for, there is a number to keep in mind prior to a new piece being created.
(this type of construction does use specific pieces in specific places)

28 days. That is the amount of time for the concrete to cure to 90% of its compressive strength. After that it'll taper off towards 100% which it will reach who knows when. (I believe 100% would is an asymptote)

So 28 days from the time its poured, getting the concrete isn't hard, they know whats needed in terms of the mix. They'll do all the testing as its poured, and compression testing will probably be done at 1, 7, 14 and 28 days (if I'm remembering the important times there right)

Hardest thing I can think of is getting the forms perfect, the very well might have taken their production facilities down awhile ago when they finished all the prefab pieces. Could be just a giant storage yard now.
I would guess the critical path here is the actual Crane. you have to salvage whats there, asses the damage and custom build any replaceable pieces. That's a big questions mark for a timeline.

In other words, 2 months doesn't seem to long for this at all. But that only makes sense if the approach was going to finish after the bridge span, It looked ahead of the bridge to me, so while this could delay the approach, the bridge could still finish on time.
Good post, thanks for the information, I am surprised how my complete guess estimates are close to your numbers .

Sounds like they are lucky if you are right and the bridge is ahead of schedule. Still will cause obvious problems with the stoppage of work etc. but the biggest threat is not finishing on time and facing penalties and damage to their reputation.

Also Metro-One I would think you are right that they "maybe" can continue building the other approach after a investigation in to what went wrong and how to make sure that doesnt happen again. The problem is that the bridge cant be finished until "this section is finished" so it doesnt solve the delay problem. Also the reason I said maybe is because I am under the impression that the bridge deck needs to be balanced on both sides as it builds out from the cables towers so you have to be able to build in both directions at the same time, also even though I am obviously not a bridge engineer I am certain that the bridge during construction is very vulnerable(e.i. if a large earthquake hit today that bridge would likely fall). Because of that I wonder if there is a increased risk in building out a deck without connecting it all up and having it just hang there from the towers waiting for the other half of the bridge to catch up and connect. The increased risk imo would be that the more deck you have hanging from the tower means the more weight you have hanging from the tower and the more unstable it is going to be and prone to damage/disaster in a accident, wind storm, etc.(in other words my guess is that the most critical and dangerous point in the construction of the bridge is when the deck is fully built out from the towers and just needs to connect up, so leaving it hanging there in that state might not be a wise move).

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Word is that the segment struck a pier on the way down. I wouldn't trust it, but I'm no engineer.
Agree, I dont see how they can properly test a segment like that for damage or hairline cracks inside of it and be certain its is ok. Maybe they can but man the last thing anyone wants is to install a segment that is damaged. Now that would be a pain in the ass later on, or a accident waiting to happen as the bridges strength should be based on the weakest link. Also if that segment were to have problems later on during the bridge life after they said it was ok and installed it, after all that happened it would imo create a living hell for the contractors involved.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 12:59 AM

I can't see an Engineer being reckless enough to sign off on it.

I thought the South Approach was finished?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 1:47 AM

Quote:
I thought the South Approach was finished?
Nope. The old bridge is in the way of completing it.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
Nope. The old bridge is in the way of completing it.
Riight... I forgot about the last 2 lanes.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 4:20 PM

Are / were there any 'early completion' bonuses in this contract? If so, what are the odds they'll find some way to 'catch up' to receiving the bonus?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 6:32 PM

Any idea what they are doing on Barnston Drive just west over the Golden Ears Way overpasses? It almost looks like they are putting in an off ramp to Hwy 1, but I doubt that.
Barnston Drive is closed to through traffic.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 6:51 AM

Here's what they are doing to Barnston Drive:
http://www.pmh1project.com/Construct...%20Opening.pdf

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Noticed that the Cape Horn webcams are down. They dont even show up on the webpage anylonger. Wonder if they're gone for good.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianroam95 View Post
Here's what they are doing to Barnston Drive:
http://www.pmh1project.com/Construct...%20Opening.pdf
Yah they will ultimately block off Barnston at the base of 176th and are going to push through a new connector to at 177A.

This gives the full picture of the area including connection to the SFPR and the SFPR connector (stretch between 176th and Golden Ears Way).

http://www.pmh1project.com/Construct...n%20Update.pdf

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 5:48 PM
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterprinciple View Post
Noticed that the Cape Horn webcams are down. They dont even show up on the webpage anylonger. Wonder if they're gone for good.
Probably related to the nighttime closures at the Lougheed onramp at the Cape Horn. Or they could be trying to hide their mistake.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 11:03 PM

I think they were up on Friday and the gantry looked to be levl again.
The one "hiding" the gantry was the north view from the north bridge tower cam - but it was even out of commission for weeks before the accident.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 9:03 PM

Drove over the bridge last night and the Gantry was level and looks like it moved and is in place for doing work (maybe actually working, it was hard to tell in the rain at night).

Also, it can't be long now until the spans are touching.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 9:46 PM
zoom zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
Drove over the bridge last night and the Gantry was level and looks like it moved and is in place for doing work (maybe actually working, it was hard to tell in the rain at night).

Also, it can't be long now until the spans are touching.
I drove over the bridge a few days ago, and I noticed that the other support has not been replaced yet, and there is visible damage to the one end of the gantry. While it's certainly level, I don't think that it's ready to go just yet.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 2:42 AM

Looks like they're getting ready to move some or all Lougheed Hwy EB traffic on the new overpass. For sure it'll be for traffic heading onto Hwy 1 EB, not sure whether through traffic is moving on there as well.

I also thought of another way they could maintain the Lougheed WB to Hwy 1 EB movement when they have to close the old Cape Horn overpass to finish the new flyover... have all traffic continue to Coleman, then loop around to the new overpass, and enter onto Hwy 1 EB that way.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 10:35 PM

So, I've returned to BC for the first time in about 6 months, and have seen some of the work going on. Someone commented on that work happening on the southside of Highway 1 between 232 Street and 248 Street.

I'm pretty sure it's a new rest area OR a new truck inspection location. Rest area would make sense because there's an existing one on westbound Highway 1 by Bradner road (about 5-10 km further east)

Truck Inspection makes sense if they've chosen to relocate the ones by 160 Street due to weaving problems...

This gateway plan shows no truck inspection station to the East of 160 Street heading EB:

http://www.pmh1project.com/Design%20...2020120207.pdf

As well, the location east of 232 Street will help capture alot of vehicles coming onto Highway 1 from Highway 10.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
So, I've returned to BC for the first time in about 6 months, and have seen some of the work going on. Someone commented on that work happening on the southside of Highway 1 between 232 Street and 248 Street.

I'm pretty sure it's a new rest area OR a new truck inspection location. Rest area would make sense because there's an existing one on westbound Highway 1 by Bradner road (about 5-10 km further east)

Truck Inspection makes sense if they've chosen to relocate the ones by 160 Street due to weaving problems...

This gateway plan shows no truck inspection station to the East of 160 Street heading EB:

http://www.pmh1project.com/Design%20...2020120207.pdf

As well, the location east of 232 Street will help capture alot of vehicles coming onto Highway 1 from Highway 10.
That would make sense, as for trucks it would be even easier to bypass the Scale with the SFPR at 176th. This would capture trucks to/from SFPR as well.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:13 PM

It would also remove the crazy gauntlet of trucks that happen where the current scales are located.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure