Downtown Columbus is located along the Scioto River and is cetnered around the intersection of Broad Street and High Street, where the Ohio Statehouse is located. Columbus was named the capital of Ohio in 1816 after it was moved from Chillicothe. Columbus was once an industrial city, but has successfuly transitioned into a banking and insurance center. Columbus has also been a center for education and government throughout its history.
Looking up at the Franklin County Courthouse, on Front Street. The courthouse was built in 1991 and is 464 feet tall.
The Franklin County Courthouse, from Mound Street.
The new Franklin County Courthouse, being built at Front & Mound Streets. The courthouse will be completed in 2011.
County buildings on Mound Street.
A county building on High Street.
A restaurant on Mound Street.
The Southern Theatre, on Main Street. The theatre was opened in 1896.
Nationwide Plaza, the headquarters for the Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. Three Nationwide Plaza, built in 1988, is on the right. The William Green Building, built in 1990, is on the left.
The AEP Building, on Marconi Boulevard, was built in 1983 to house the headquarters for American Electric Power.
The United States District Court, on Marconi Boulevard.
The Ohio Department of Education on the left, and the Ohio Judicial Center on the right, from Marconi Boulevard.
Columbus City Hall, on Broad Street. A statue of Christopher Columbus sits in front of the building.
City Hall was built in 1928.
The west side of Columbus' City Hall, facing the Scioto River and Marconi Boulevard.
The LeVeque Tower was originally known as the American Insurance Union Citadel, and was built to be 555.5 feet tall, just inches taller than the Washington Monument.
The entrance to the LeVeque Tower, at Broad & Front Streets.
The Palace Theatre, on Broad Street. The theatre was built in 1926 as part of the LeVeque Tower.
The Wyandotte Building, on Broad Street at Wall Street. The Wyandotte Building was built in 1898 and was the first steel-framed skyscraper in the city.
Looking west down Broad Street. Trinity Episcopal Church is on the left, with National City Plaza behind it, and the Columbus Dispatch building is on the right.
The Ohio Statehouse sits on a block on the southeast corner of Broad & High Streets, in the center of Downtown.
The Ohio Statehouse began in 1839, but work was halted in 1840 when Columbus' status as the state capital was threatened. Work began again in 1848, and the capitol building was completed in 1857.
The Huntington Bank Building, on High Street. The office building was built in 1926.
The entrance to the Huntington Bank Building.
Buildings on High Street.
Buckeye State Building & Loan Company Building, also known as the Buckeye Building. The Buckeye Building is on Gay Street and was built in 1927.
The Atlas Building, on Long Street. The structure was built in 1905.
The Citizens Building, on High Street at Gay Street. The Citizens Building was built in 1917.
Columbus skyscrapers, from Spring Street.
The Downtown YMCA, on Long Street at Front Street. The YMCA was built in 1924.
The Atlas Building, from Wall Street.
Buildings on the corner of Broad & High Streets. The buildings are home to WCMH studios.
A building on Broad Street.
Buildings on Broad Street.
The Columbus Dispatch, on Third Street. The newspaper was founded in 1871, and their signature sign atop their building has been a landmark for almost a century.
The old post office, at 3rd & State Streets. The post office was built in 1884 and is now the home of the Bricker-Eckler law office.
The Ohio Theatre, on State Street, across from the Ohio Statehouse.
Ohio Theatre was built in 1928 as a movie theater, and is now run by the Columbus Association for the Performing Arts as a performing arts center.
The Columbus Center, at 3rd & Broad Streets. The skyscraper was built in 1965 and is 357 feet tall.
The Athletic Club of Columbus, on Broad Street.
The Empire Building, on Broad Street.
Continental Plaza, on Broad Street. Continental Plaza was built in 1974 and is 438 feet tall.
The Franklin County Memorial Hall, on Broad Street. The hall was completed in 1906 and housed the Center of Science and Industry from 1964 until 1999.
St. Joseph Cathedral, on Broad Street at 5th Street. The cathedral is the seat of the Diocese of Columbus and was consecrated in 1878.
The interior of St. Joseph Cathedral.
The very first Wendy's restaurant, on Broad Street. This Wendy's location opened in 1961 and closed in 2007 due to lack of sales.
Columbus skyscrapers and the Ohio Statehouse, from State Street.
The Huntington Center, with the LeVeque Tower in the background.
The Huntington Center, on High Street. The Huntington Center was built in 1984 and is 512 feet tall.
The Ohio State Savings & Loan building, at 3rd & Gay Streets. The structure was built in 1927.
Buildings on Gay Street.
The McKinley Memorial stands in front of the Ohio Statehouse, along High Street. The statue was dedicated in 1906 to the former Ohio Governor and assassinated President.
The Ohio Statehouse from State Street, with skyscrapers in the background. The Rhodes State Office Tower, Columbus' tallest building at 629 feet, is on the left.