UA approves new construction plans | TuscaloosaNews.com
* A new residence hall to be constructed where Rose Towers stands now. Rose will be demolished after this year. It will be the twin of the still under-construction North Bluff Residential community. It will be seven stories tall and have 864 beds and is expected to open in fall 2014. Rose is 13 stories and has 750 beds. It was built in 1969.
* A new rec center and dining hall will be built in between the two residence halls. The Rec Center will have everything but a pool. The dining hall will seat 250 people.
* A $27.5 million project that will add nearly 60,000 square feet onto the south end of the Ferguson Center, while renovating 99,000 square feet. The Supe Store will the main beneficiary of the new addition as it will nearly doubled in size. I don't fully understand this development as it will either have to be underground, or it will cut into the North Ferguson parking lot (but I've always heard that that particular parking lot will be eliminated in the next few years anyway.
* This is really needed...a 50,000-square-foot addition to the Gorgas Library. Will double the seating capacity of the library. Looks like most of the addition will come from adding two basement floors underneath the 1967 addition to the building, aka the back wing, which faces north on Capstone Drive. The south, "main" entrance will be updated to have a grander facade to match the north, "traditional", entrance.
* Another frat house
* A 50,000 sq. ft digital media center to be built the Zone at Bryant Denny Stadium.