HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 23, 2009, 10:36 PM

San Francisco - Mission Terrace (big thread 200 pics)

Mission Terrace is a hood in the southern part of the city that's sandwiched between The Excelsior District to the east, and Sunnyside, Ingleside, City College, and interstate 280 to the west. It's circled in green here:

Up next are Sunnyside, Ingleside and City College, which are those other circled areas...but first:

Your soundtrack, some local music:

Video Link

This corner store delivers...anything, until 1 am. You need a pizza, a sandwich, some matches, and a bottle of shampoo? No problem:

This corner store makes some of the best sandwiches in the city, though you'd never know it passing by:

A tasty example:

Balboa Park Station, which is a Muni train yard, the end/beginning of the line for the J, K, and M lines, and the 26 and 36 bus lines, as well as a BART station:

That little passageway on the right is what i refer to as "piss alley":

The old Muni headquarters:

Smoke that blunt:

Some more local music to honor the blunt smoking:

Video Link

Lamartine street, site of last year's van body, one of many recent embarrassments for the SFPD:

San Jose Avenue Muni stop interlude:

This section of San Jose Avenue was originally intended to be a freeway that was planned to cut through the middle of the Mission District. that was stopped thankfully, and it bacame part of San Jose Ave. People drive on it like a freeway though, which makes sense as it looks like one, and many people use it to get onto 280.

Norteno gang graffiti, in red. The X4 is a bastardization of XIV, which stands for N, the 14th letter of the alphabet. The S's are crossed out becuause their rivals are the Surenos, or "Scraps/sewer rats/suratas" as the nortes say...you sometimes see S's crossed out on street signs in Norteno territory:

Looking up towards Glen Park:

Riding the J Church north up San Jose:

Past Bernal Heights, and towards the Mission and Noe Valley:

Sgt. John V. Young street leads up to the Ingleside Police Station, which is in the middle of Balboa Park. It's named after an officer who was killed when members of the Black Liberation Army attacked the station in 1971:

Last edited by tech12; Sep 25, 2009 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 1:01 PM
Ms AA

Interesting!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 5:54 PM

That's definately not the San Francisco I'm used to seeing! Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 6:11 PM
zzzzzzzz

awesome shots. I love all the transit and the gritty-but-still-california feel.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 8:21 PM

Wow I've never seen this part of the city before. How is the crime rate for the area, what are the demographics, and how expensive is it if you don't mind me asking?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 9:09 PM
REAL Kiwi!

SF does have room for more growth or make that redevelopment, this area is fairly isolated though. The sandwich looks great though....

Old Posted Sep 24, 2009, 9:29 PM

Killer tour!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 1:08 AM

Looks like a nice place.
Millwaukee | Madison | Deer Valley, Utah | Grand Rapids | Chicagoland: Roselle, St. Charles, Wheaton, Woodstock

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 2:44 AM

Glad you all liked it. Even plenty of SF residents are very unfamiliar with this part of the city, so i was sure it would be interesting to you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Wow I've never seen this part of the city before. How is the crime rate for the area, what are the demographics, and how expensive is it if you don't mind me asking?
The crime rate is kinda high compared to your average quiet residential neighborhood in SF...definitely nothing extreme or anything, but it is in the lower half of the city, which is much more working class, and overall has a much higher crime rate than the rest of SF. The demographics of Mission terrace i would guess are mostly asian (chinese, filipino) and latino (mexican, salvadoran), with some white and black people mixed in here and there, as well as some pacific islanders, as can be seen by the Samoan church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringArchitect View Post
Looks like a nice place.
haha, it is pretty nice. I would not mind living there at all...can't beat the relative cheapness, the good transportation options, and the diversity (as well as great food...which honestly is lacking almost nowhere in SF)...is that sad face because you're being sarcastic though, or are you sad that you're not there? I am confused

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 2:58 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Wow, that was awesome! I know I have never seen these parts of San Francisco represented here on this forum. I like your photography style too. Thanks for Sharing!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 4:45 AM
Exploring the world

Great mix of pics of an unfamiliar neighborhood in that awesome city. Loved it!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 8:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Glad you all liked it. Even plenty of SF residents are very unfamiliar with this part of the city, so i was sure it would be interesting to you guys.
Count me among them. I've now lived in SF 27 years and I can only remember being in this area once (not counting BART and freeway trips). Unless you live there, there's very little reason to go there, and I live across town in the part most people are more familiar with. But it IS interesting to see these neighborhoods. I have some friends who live on the other side of San Jose not far from Bernal Heights (but not Bernal Heights) in a neighborhood I'm not even sure what its called (going out Mission past the Safeway and the entrance to San Jose and on up the hill, then a left turn). Anyway, I drive on San Jose going to their place so I've been on that, but not further out and not on the west side of San Jose out there.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2009, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
Count me among them. I've now lived in SF 27 years and I can only remember being in this area once (not counting BART and freeway trips). Unless you live there, there's very little reason to go there, and I live across town in the part most people are more familiar with. But it IS interesting to see these neighborhoods. I have some friends who live on the other side of San Jose not far from Bernal Heights (but not Bernal Heights) in a neighborhood I'm not even sure what its called (going out Mission past the Safeway and the entrance to San Jose and on up the hill, then a left turn). Anyway, I drive on San Jose going to their place so I've been on that, but not further out and not on the west side of San Jose out there.
I disagree that there's very little reason to go there...those sandwiches are one very good reason

But also, many of the 30,000+ students at city college are down there pretty often (i'm one of them), as they're right next to each other, and because Balboa Park station is right there.

edit: and that neighborhood that you're talking about would be Glen Park.

Last edited by tech12; Sep 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 10:53 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Fascinating photos, tech. I've only passed through on the train or main thoroughfares, so this is like visiting a brand new city for me. I look forward to the Sunnyside and Ingleside threads for the same reason.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 11:24 PM

Great pics. I'm always baffled at the clusterfuckiness of the Balboa Park station. I remember the first time I used the station I got off BART and was taking the J (I think?) somewhere, can't even remember where, and was amazed when someone told me where to stand to wait for it. I was kind of like, they built the station like this - on purpose - in the 70's? WTF?

BTW - what are the cross streets for that tasty sandwich place? I'm thinking I may need to try it out

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 11:42 PM
Sebastian

got damn! that was one thorough tour.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 11:40 PM

What a treat: San Francisco grit in the one part of town where BART climbs out of the subway tube and can be seen and two Muni Metro lines run from on the surface from the Twin Peaks tunnel and a third through the Mission to meet up and give the best on ground perspective of SF rapid transit.

Love these scenes you could never see in the northern or western portions of San Francisco.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 3:39 AM

^that's one reason why I love the southern/eastern half or so of SF. It's sort of the "forgotten" half of the city, that most visitors and even many locals never go to...and there are lots of things within that half that many people don't think exist in SF: freeways with big interchanges, exposed/elevated BART (just south of where i took these pictures, it runs elevated along 280), plenty of grit, working and middle class people, poverty, and diversity of the type that mostly isn't present at all in the northern/western half of SF (most of the black and Latino population in SF lives in this southern/eastern half)...and of course there are the ever ubiquitous hills to get great angles of all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
Great pics. I'm always baffled at the clusterfuckiness of the Balboa Park station. I remember the first time I used the station I got off BART and was taking the J (I think?) somewhere, can't even remember where, and was amazed when someone told me where to stand to wait for it. I was kind of like, they built the station like this - on purpose - in the 70's? WTF?
haha, yeah that station is kinda screwed up:

"Stand behind the thin, faded, yellow line in this busy, crowded, non-grade-separated space, or get run over by the train you're waiting for"

...really good planning there They're gonna give the station a makeover soon though, which seems way long overdue when you look at the dingyness and layout of the place.

Quote:
BTW - what are the cross streets for that tasty sandwich place? I'm thinking I may need to try it out
That would be the corner of San Jose Ave. and San Juan Ave. The place is called Roxie's. My personal favorites are the BBQ beef and pastrami

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 6:14 PM

Seems like an interesting, although somewhat depressingly dingy neighborhood. Thanks for the tour.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 9:20 AM

Roxie's is awesome.

One of my favorite Chinese food places in the City is out that direction too - Beijing Restaurant, on Ocean and Alemany, really great homestyle Northern food (the dumplings and hand made noodles at that place are out of this world). Go to the Yelp page here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/beijing-rest...-san-francisco and check out the pictures... Yao Ming frequents the place when he comes to town. The pictures of him standing next to the waiters and waitresses as he towers above them are hilarious.

I've spent a lot of time there, doing some technology work at both the Green and Geneva Muni yards. I've actually driven both a Milan streetcar and a J Church!

Anyways, when I get tired of the yuppies of the Northeastern San Francisco (I'm one of them), I find it refreshing to get out and wander some of the less-publicized and more gritty blue collar neighborhoods of San Francisco. Nearby McLaren Park and University Mound have some stunning views as well. And it's one of the few areas in San Francisco where middle class families still reside.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos