HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 6:36 PM

Calgary local websites?

Are there any local websites that cover projects, development and urban issues beyond what's found here on SSP?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 8:10 PM
Editor

Not really that I can think of off the top of my head. Calgary Puck covers some development stuff, but nothing more than what is already on SSP.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 8:13 PM

Calgary Puck? It looks like an exclusively sports based site.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
Off Topic page probably has the most extensive Calgary-area content online outside of maybe Reddit

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 8:36 PM
Editor

Quote:
It started out that way, but as mentioned it does have some offtopic areas that cover development. SSP would be better though.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 10:19 PM

Lots of stuff gets almost beat to death on the beyond.ca forums as well - auto focussed but plenty is discussed that is not auto-related.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 11:26 PM

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 3:55 PM

Interesting. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 4:28 PM
Master of the Universe

looking at expansion?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 4:34 PM

Should we?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 4:51 PM

C'mon over to beyond.ca - it's an interesting bunch there and you'd most likely have a bit of fun with them. Not very difficult to get a number of them riled up there.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 4:55 PM

A car site? Not my thing sorry.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not, the bulk of the discussion there is not car related. Drives some of the old timers there nuts but the site has evolved over time as members have aged, moved from being single to married and then having families and as such, what they discuss have evolved as well. I would say that at least 60% of the discussions there are not in any way car related and most often, the actively discussed threads are never car related. Shit, I'm not really a car guy and only about 22% of my posts there over the past 6.5 years were in the car forums - lots of very active discussions that are not car related.

Put it this way, I'm a member here as well as CalgaryPuck and Redditt and I would say I've seen way more lively debate on beyond.ca then those two places of here. Some of the people on beyond.ca might almost be off their rocker and some are very obviously very anti-Nenshi/Farrell or anti-bicycle or whatever but the discussions there are always quite lively - certainly I can get into much for entertaining debates there then the other mentioned forums in this post. One thing is for sure, it's a community that certainly rallies around it's own when a member is in need - some amazing stuff has come to pass on beyond.ca due to the generosity and caring of absolute strangers in some cases. Can't say I've seen quite the same on any other Calgary based forum.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 5:21 PM

Funny how the two main Calgary sites seem to be officially about sports and cars and yet aren't.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 5:32 PM
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Should we?
Think most here are pretty loyal to the SSP formula of one all encompassing mega thread. However, public information on new proposals is not nearly as available as with Toronto. Make that connection as well as with local developers and I'd think you'd be quite successful.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Think most here are pretty loyal to the SSP formula of one all encompassing mega thread. However, public information on new proposals is not nearly as available as with Toronto. Make that connection as well as with local developers and I'd think you'd be quite successful.
The problem with an all encompassing mega-thread is things can get lost but splitting things off into more threads means a bit more moderation/maintenance might be required. No happy medium but I do know that with beyond.ca that I can find age old threads relative to something whereas a similar search on SSP is quite fruitless many times.

In SSP Calgary, only 14 threads created in the 'General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation" area since the beginning of this year. On beyond.ca in the 'Lounge' area, probably hundreds and those aren't car related - of note, less than 15% of the posts created in the past week on beyond.ca are actually in a car related section.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 12:05 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
I detest cars, but beyond.ca is one of the best sites to find out about new restaurants in Calgary, better than even, say, chowhound. Fantastic repository on ethnic places, cheap eats, donair listings, holes in the wall in our ethnoburbs, that sort of thing. Calgarypuck and beyond have great informative interesting local issues discussion- great politics areas too, but we sure could use a dedicated urbancalgary.ca site.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Believe it or not, the bulk of the discussion there is not car related. Drives some of the old timers there nuts but the site has evolved over time as members have aged, moved from being single to married and then having families and as such, what they discuss have evolved as well. I would say that at least 60% of the discussions there are not in any way car related and most often, the actively discussed threads are never car related. Shit, I'm not really a car guy and only about 22% of my posts there over the past 6.5 years were in the car forums - lots of very active discussions that are not car related.

Put it this way, I'm a member here as well as CalgaryPuck and Redditt and I would say I've seen way more lively debate on beyond.ca then those two places of here. Some of the people on beyond.ca might almost be off their rocker and some are very obviously very anti-Nenshi/Farrell or anti-bicycle or whatever but the discussions there are always quite lively - certainly I can get into much for entertaining debates there then the other mentioned forums in this post. One thing is for sure, it's a community that certainly rallies around it's own when a member is in need - some amazing stuff has come to pass on beyond.ca due to the generosity and caring of absolute strangers in some cases. Can't say I've seen quite the same on any other Calgary based forum.
There's this one 'car' forum I frequent that this reminds me of. Everybody there joined the forum in their teens about a decade ago - it has basically no new membership. Its sort of like a bridge club now; nobody cares about the cards anymore, its just where you go to find your friends. People get made fun of now for talking about cars, even though nominally that's all the site is about.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Should we?
I would definitely put urbancalgary.ca into my daily rotation of time wasters at work if it existed. I like the layout of the Toronto site.

If you did, perhaps work with whoever puts this page together? Sorry, I don't recall who it is, but it's someone on SSP. Might as well utilize the tools and knowledge base that already exist.

http://construction.mapcalgary.ca/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
There's this one 'car' forum I frequent that this reminds me of. Everybody there joined the forum in their teens about a decade ago - it has basically no new membership. Its sort of like a bridge club now; nobody cares about the cards anymore, its just where you go to find your friends. People get made fun of now for talking about cars, even though nominally that's all the site is about.
I can only assume that you are facetiously speaking of beyond - if so, you're kind of way off base - yeah, it's a web site/forum that was started by a group of auto enthusiasts a number of years ago while in their teens, probably 20 years ago going by the ages of the original group but it constantly has new members joining and many of the more active members are certainly not of the original teen-aged gang.

Now I could be off on what you're trying to say but never the less, the original post in this thread appeared to have been made with the hopes of finding projects, development and urban issues beyond what's found here on Calgary SSP and I would say in my experience on the mentioned forums in this thread outside of Calgary SSP, you won't find a more willing audience to engage. Try it out, post up something you might want to see a discussion develop about and see where it goes - some of the members there certainly won't engage you on project, development and urban issues but many will. Certainly transit, cycling and many urban issues are debated quite heavily over there - project stuff less so but one never knows if they don't try, eh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates