HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > SSP: Local Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 2:25 PM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 807
I think the "phase 3" is being loosely used here.
I don't believe that this was ever brought up that this addition would take place when the building was built which is why it needs to go through the approval process.
Good news on Fenwick though, the NIMBYS wont be able to bring this one down, so help me over my dead body.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 4:35 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,062
From my talks with the people at Templeton, it is my understanding that they want to proceed as quickly as possible. And the fact that the majority of the community was directly involved in the design will make a big difference when it comes to the public hearing. It allows them to take ownership of the proposal unlike many other developments we have seen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 4:53 PM
-Harlington-'s Avatar
-Harlington- -Harlington- is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Halifax-Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,097
from my understanding most of this development and the talks around it are generally positive and i think pretty much everyone in the city would like to see this instead of what is there now.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 5:06 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I think the "phase 3" is being loosely used here.
I don't believe that this was ever brought up that this addition would take place when the building was built which is why it needs to go through the approval process.
Good news on Fenwick though, the NIMBYS wont be able to bring this one down, so help me over my dead body.
I thought this was MPS amendment for the pennisula south district, as well as a Land use bylaw change via development agreement. To change MPS requires a lot more effort and will have public input because it will affect the area as a whole. That and i believe the LUB/Development agreement will have public input as well as HRM by design does not cover this area.

So therefore the NIMBYS are capable of bringing this one down if the above case is true.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2010, 11:50 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,640
I am sure that there is at least one councillor helping the NIMBYS. If this drags on too long then I wonder if Templeton Properties will just give up. Then the NIMBYS will get what they deserve a 33 story concrete slab in their backyard. Obviously it won't be torn down.

A legal question comes to mind; if a councillor purposely obstructs this from moving forwards and causes financial difficulties for Templeton Properties then can they take legal action against that councillor? Are there any lawyers out there who can answer this question?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:27 AM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I am sure that there is at least one councillor helping the NIMBYS. If this drags on too long then I wonder if Templeton Properties will just give up. Then the NIMBYS will get what they deserve a 33 story concrete slab in their backyard. Obviously it won't be torn down.

A legal question comes to mind; if a councillor purposely obstructs this from moving forwards and causes financial difficulties for Templeton Properties then can they take legal action against that councillor? Are there any lawyers out there who can answer this question?
they would have to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt to even have a chance. Besides, there is always the UARB.

But that is why we have more then one councillor, so one doesn't have the absolute power to turn the vote negative. Often councillors opinions influence others which will cause a swing vote. But there is little one can do about this except for taking the decision to UARB.

But thats the risks a developer, and really any business owner takes. The developer in this case isn't losing money if it isn't approved. They simply can't increase the development density to spread the renovation costs over a greater area is all. If the developer choses to reclad and do finish upgrades to the building internally they could avoid bringing the building upto current codes. It is only substainial changes that brings new codes into play. The bulding would be grandfathered now.

Anyone who took on this project knew there was going to be a hard road ahead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:26 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,640
I just wonder why there wasn't a strong voice against HRM by Design. This was pushed through as a way to speed up the development process and as a sensible criteria for development. But basically it is one more restriction against high rise buildings except that unlike the view planes bylaws it covers the entire downtown area. The anti-development forces pulled a fast one on the residents of Halifax. They just introduced one more piece of legislation against development. I am sure that Sloane was involved in this one. I hope that she will never become Mayor. She is just a wolf in sheep's clothing. Way to go Sloane, drive some more business away from Halifax. Sloane, tell us how you support a stadium in Halifax. LOL.

Why don't all of these anti-development groups just move to a retirement community in Florida and leave the HRM and Nova Scotia to the majority who need jobs.

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 21, 2010 at 9:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:21 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,062
Please do not put comments like that on this forum. We are all here to discuss developments and their effects on this city. We are not here to bash one another.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:21 AM
planarchy's Avatar
planarchy planarchy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I just wonder why there wasn't a strong voice against HRM by Design. This was pushed through as a way to speed up the development process and as a sensible criteria for development. But basically it is one more restriction against high rise buildings except that unlike the view planes bylaws it covers the entire downtown area. The anti-development forces pulled a fast one on the residents of Halifax. They just introduced one more piece of legislation against development. I am sure that Sloane was involved in this one. I hope that she will never become Mayor. She is just a wolf in sheep's clothing. Way to go Sloane, drive some more business away from Halifax. Sloane, tell us how you support a stadium in Halifax. LOL.

By the way Sloane I went to Halifax City Hall (January 18 2010) and I am still here on SSP and my HalifaxStadium.ca website is still up (contrary to your threats - when are you going to start bad mouthing me like you threatened when I was in Halifax). You said that you don't want people to be contacting city hall about a stadium (I am paraphrasing). Next step - make sure that you never become Mayor. But I will do it with the truth - no tricks. Let people know how you are driving jobs from the HRM. And how you would like to have Fenwick Towers torn down. If Templeton Properties would like any help in court then they can contact me. I heard it first hand, from the wolf's mouth. The great thing about living in Ontario is that I can tell the truth about you with no fear of retribution.

Why don't all of these anti-development groups just move to a retirement community in Florida and leave the HRM and Nova Scotia to the majority who need jobs.
Ignoring your bizarre personal vendetta, you are incorrect about the HRMbyDesign process. The Heritage Trust came out strong against it, were very vocal throughout the process and their disapproval of it, and still hold this view today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:35 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Please do not put comments like that on this forum. We are all here to discuss developments and their effects on this city. We are not here to bash one another.
I just want to point out Jonovision, that what I have stated is a fact. I met Dawn Sloane and spoke with her for 1 hour on January 18 2010 at city hall (you can see the picture on this page - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...174940&page=33 ). I am not bashing Dawn Slaone, I am using my freedom of speech to point out that she is hurting the HRM. Everything that I have stated is a fact. I am discussing developments and the negative effect that councilors like Dawn Sloane can have on the city. Dawn Sloane would like to see Fenwick Towers torn down. She will be the biggest opposition to any re-development going forward. Wait and see.

I am 51 years old and have cared about the Halifax area since I first lived there 38 years ago. If you want to study what effect a good politician can have on a city then study Hazel McCallon the Mayor of Mississauga: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_McCallion .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 3:43 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by planarchy View Post
Ignoring your bizarre personal vendetta, you are incorrect about the HRMbyDesign process. The Heritage Trust came out strong against it, were very vocal throughout the process and their disapproval of it, and still hold this view today.
I met Dawn Sloane on January 18 2010 at Halifax City Hall. Here is an article on Dawn Sloane http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/best-...Of?oid=1366948 - read the last comment. According to this, she overrode the HRM by Design committee and had the Barrington South height lowered from the HRM by Design recommended height of 70 feet to 50 feet. Is this true or false? The comments don't seem very favourable.

PS: As someone else pointed out to you, this is a skyscraper forum - skyscraperpage.com. Does it surprise you that people on this forum aren't all for shorter buildings? Go to other sections and see that people on this forum like tall buildings! If you want positive statements then go to a heritage forum; I am sure your comments about building shorter buildings will be hailed as great intellectual thought.

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 11, 2010 at 4:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 4:40 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,640
I just want to point out that I really believe that Dawn Sloane is doing her best to protect the city heritage and has done it tirelessly. However, I want the HRM to progress and in order for that to happen I believe that the city needs politicians who understand that developers are not the enemy. Politicians have to be able to work with developers not against them. Without developers, Halifax would either be a historic village like Louisburg or a ghetto. I don't favour Halifax becoming either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 11:30 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
I thought this was MPS amendment for the pennisula south district, as well as a Land use bylaw change via development agreement. To change MPS requires a lot more effort and will have public input because it will affect the area as a whole. That and i believe the LUB/Development agreement will have public input as well as HRM by design does not cover this area.

So therefore the NIMBYS are capable of bringing this one down if the above case is true.
You seem to have a lot of inside information SDM. Reading through your previous posts, you seem to know things that only a councillor would know and it seems that you are a wealthy South End resident against tall buildings. Could you be Sloane, Dawn Marie (SDM)?

PS: I have nothing against wealthy South End residents only the anti-development ones since they have secure jobs and are driving jobs away from the city. In other words they are serving their own purposes and not the purposes of the majority.

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 11, 2010 at 1:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:08 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 7,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
You seem to have a lot of inside information SDM. Reading through your previous posts, you seem to know things that only a councillor would know and it seems that you are a wealthy South End resident against tall buildings. Could you be Sloane, Dawn Marie (SDM)?
It's not likely because Councillor Sloane had her own account awhile back, Downtown_Dawn.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:16 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I just want to point out Jonovision, that what I have stated is a fact. I met Dawn Sloane and spoke with her for 1 hour on January 18 2010 at city hall (you can see the picture on this page - http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...174940&page=33 ). I am not bashing Dawn Slaone, I am using my freedom of speech to point out that she is hurting the HRM. Everything that I have stated is a fact. I am discussing developments and the negative effect that councilors like Dawn Sloane can have on the city. Dawn Sloane would like to see Fenwick Towers torn down. She will be the biggest opposition to any re-development going forward. Wait and see.

I am 51 years old and have cared about the Halifax area since I first lived there 38 years ago. If you want to study what effect a good politician can have on a city then study Hazel McCallon the Mayor of Mississauga: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_McCallion .
I don't know much about Hazel, as I have only ever seen her on the Rick Mercer report when he met with her last season. The 10mins or so feature was enough to convince me though. She is mayor of the only Canadian City without a deficit. She has done wonders for that city. I only wish we had a mayor with that kind of ambition here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:19 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
It's not likely because Councillor Sloane had her own account awhile back, Downtown_Dawn.
When did Downtowndawn last post on this forum?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:25 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,313
I should add, the non-deficit was at the time of airing. I'm not sure if the city is still debt free or not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 12:36 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I should add, the non-deficit was at the time of airing. I'm not sure if the city is still debt free or not.
I have heard recently that it is debt free.

Since I first moved to Ontario in 1980, Mississauga has gone from a medium size city of about 270,000 to the current size of 704,000 (as listed on city signs). It is interesting to note that if you combine Mississauga and its northern neighbouring city of Brampton it has a population similar to Calgary. However both of these cities are closely economically tied to Toronto. Hazel McCallion is 89 years old now, is still Mayor of Mississauga and is highly respected throughout the GTA and Canada. Interestingly, she doesn't seem to be against developers and tall buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:15 PM
beyeas beyeas is offline
Fizzix geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South End, Hali
Posts: 977
Ohhhhhh K.

Time for everyone to take a deep breath, smoke some if ya got it, and CALM DOWN THE $%*& down. Seriously. The last few days the tone of comments has been one of attack rather than discussion. I will even look in the mirror and include myself in that, in addition to... well... pretty much all of us on here.

I think we all need to keep in mind that what gets posted on here becomes public record, and we are not helping the development community by putting "quotables" that the anti-development folks can use.

Let's all, me included, stick to what should be the goal of this forum which is to work in a positive fashion towards improved development/design, rather than focussing on negatives.

The best way to counter an argument isn't to say why they are wrong, but to demonstrate why your point is correct. Subtle but important difference.

NB: Please note that I am not directing this at any one individual or individuals, and am blaming myself just as much as anyone else when I go back and look at some of my own posts this week.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 2:31 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Ohhhhhh K.

Time for everyone to take a deep breath, smoke some if ya got it, and CALM DOWN THE $%*& down. Seriously. The last few days the tone of comments has been one of attack rather than discussion. I will even look in the mirror and include myself in that, in addition to... well... pretty much all of us on here.

I think we all need to keep in mind that what gets posted on here becomes public record, and we are not helping the development community by putting "quotables" that the anti-development folks can use.

Let's all, me included, stick to what should be the goal of this forum which is to work in a positive fashion towards improved development/design, rather than focussing on negatives.

The best way to counter an argument isn't to say why they are wrong, but to demonstrate why your point is correct. Subtle but important difference.

NB: Please note that I am not directing this at any one individual or individuals, and am blaming myself just as much as anyone else when I go back and look at some of my own posts this week.

Good points beyeas. However, sometimes people have to get angry. I for one do not believe that view planes bylaws and HRM by Design were introduced by the majority (certainly not an informed majority). This is what makes me angry is that special interest groups can introduce bylaws that are strictly enforced at the expense of the economic well being of the HRM. Being one person who was forced to move to Ontario many years ago because of a lack of job opportunities in the HRM, I feel I have a good reason to be against they self-serving A-holes. No apologies from me - these people have had their way long enough.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > SSP: Local Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:17 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.