HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 10:41 PM

Glendale, AZ

The first week in December my best friend Kelly and I went to Phoenix to visit a mutual friend of ours who lives in Surprise. We were also supposed to spend a couple days in Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon but were snowed out so we had to stay a couple extra days in the Phoenix area and find things to do.

On one such day, Kelly went to visit her grandfather who was also staying in the area and, so, I spent the afternoon exploring downtown Glendale after being (somewhat mis)informed that the city had a historical center worth visiting. It certainly isn't Glendale, CA and for a city of 246,000, downtown seemed awfully sleepy and low key. Nevertheless, Glendale was not devoid of charm. Here you go.

My Trip: Glendale - Scottsdale - Tempe - Phoenix (Central Ave) - Phoenix (Downtown)

Last edited by stepper77; Feb 2, 2010 at 5:53 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 11:00 PM

I've lived in Phoenix my whole life, I've even lived close to Glendale (had a Glendale mailing address), but you've already probably spent more time in downtown Glendale than I have. Some of the houses and downtown buildings are pretty quaint and nice. I like many of your pictures showing these buildings I don't think I've ever seen. From what I know downtown glendale is an "antiquing" place.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 4:53 AM

Nice pictures. It looks like a nice neighborhood that you walked around, although it's strange to me to see a place that looks like a streetcar suburb get called historic.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 6:31 AM
E pluribus unum

Not bad, kinda reminds me of Downtown Mesa a little.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 5:56 PM

Weird, that is sleepy. Looks like it could be a downtown of a city of 50K with nothing around it, instead of a much bigger city in an even bigger metro.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 8:35 AM

Thanks for checking this thread out. It is funny how we sometimes live near somewhere but never really take the time to explore it. Though as quaint as Glendale was, one visit is enough. From what I saw as I was walking around, most of the houses that are little shops were either hair/nail salons or stores with "homey" type nicknacks and decorations.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 5:29 AM

Nice pics... you make it look better than it does in real life. I visited Glendale about a year and a half ago to attend a conference at Thunderbird (interesting, but kinda weird school). Glendale didn't seem like someplace I'd ever want to visit again.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 5:39 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Wow, there is actually more to it than I thought. When I lived in phoenix I just assumed Glendale was just a sea of suburban stucco homes built from the 70's on.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 7:21 AM

Thanks for this tour. Always nice to see the Phoenix area's otherwise hidden pockets of urban charm displayed more visibly. It looks like you definitely made the rounds while in town. Great photos. The area is definitely quiet, but it can be a nice respite from the "usual" here nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Nice pics... you make it look better than it does in real life. I visited Glendale about a year and a half ago to attend a conference at Thunderbird (interesting, but kinda weird school). Glendale didn't seem like someplace I'd ever want to visit again.
These pictures make Downtown Glendale look better than it does in real life? I think you're conflating the city of Glendale as a whole with Downtown Glendale, specifically. If you didn't venture much beyond the confines of Thunderbird's campus, you probably wouldn't have seen the area, as the school is not near Downtown; it can seem sort of hidden. It is not an area many just "pass through."

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 1:05 AM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Thank you for the tour & your right it is awfully sleepy town, where are all the people?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos