Goldman Sachs Headquarters
200 West Street
749 FT / 228.3 M
44 floors
Commercial
Construction: 2005 through 2009
Pei Cobb Freed & Partners

http://207.44.228.232/photopost/data//508/85886pa03.jpg

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 1:35 PM

I took these yesterday >>

Old Posted Feb 2, 2010, 2:13 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadate View Post
Thanks. This building is huge.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 2:25 AM
Astorian

February 4th, 2010

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Thanks. This building is huge.
No problem. Here's some more that I took yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 4:36 PM

Never was impressed by the design, serves its purpose and at least is isn't a box. I have never been too impressed with cobb, but I can see how people would like his understated designs. Not like Goldman wants any more attention then they already garner as it is at this point.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 5:15 PM

I find this building to be a really elegant, beautiful modernist tower. (Modernism with a twist is back in and has been for a while) Its a beautiful building for a truly evil company and I hope this building is around long after "Goldman-sucks" has been broken up by the government.

Look at how similar this building is to this in Minneapolis from the early 1990's, also by Pei-Cobb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capella_Tower

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskyline View Post
I find this building to be a really elegant, beautiful modernist tower. (Modernism with a twist is back in and has been for a while) Its a beautiful building for a truly evil company and I hope this building is around long after "Goldman-sucks" has been broken up by the government.

Look at how similar this building is to this in Minneapolis from the early 1990's, also by Pei-Cobb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capella_Tower
I agree

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 12:54 PM

Took this one yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 3:40 PM
New Yorker for life

Adding a couple to the mix...

madlag

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:52 PM
Ex Houstonian

I have never really liked this building, doesnt add anything to the skyline and really and truly its quite boring to look at.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 9:15 PM
don't *meddle*...

on the contrary, GS ist the first tower which contributes to the healing process of the wounded lower manhattan skyline. just look at some recent skyline / panorama pics and you will change your mind.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
on the contrary, GS ist the first tower which contributes to the healing process of the wounded lower manhattan skyline. just look at some recent skyline / panorama pics and you will change your mind.
I disagree. That belongs to 7 WTC. This thing... well yeah I don't have anything nice to say so I won't say anything at all.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 1:44 AM

The tower is massive and adds quite a bit to the lower Manhattan skyline. You can argue against it aesthetically, but it's an undeniable fact that it contributes greatly to the BPC skyscraper wall.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 3:59 PM
Impossible to work with

Could be better!

I think this is just another addition to the already "boring" skyline of New York.

Its been done and seen before... not even the incredible simplicity of the structure does anything for it...

But... it isn't ugly... just insignificant.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 4:32 PM

keep in mind that this building was undoubtedly designed for what the area will look like in a few years rather than what it looks like now. When the Twin Towers were there Cesar Pelli's World Financial Center brought balance to the skyline, softening the Trade Center towers and creating a composition that almost makes lower Manhattan look like a giant sand castle. When the Twin Towers were gone the World Financial center by itself looked bulky, boxy and bad in every way. Once larger towers rise behind it these buildings will once again frame the skyline in a satisfying way.

Goldman Sachs is a continuation of that frame and once the other buildings are completed it will work.

I love the shape and glass and metal texture of this building. To me, it has a beautiful form.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2010, 6:11 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
I disagree. That belongs to 7 WTC. This thing... well yeah I don't have anything nice to say so I won't say anything at all.
no, 7WTC doesn't contribute to the skyline as much as GS does. in skyline / panorama photos you can barely see 7WTC whereas GS plays a major role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskyline View Post
keep in mind that this building was undoubtedly designed for what the area will look like in a few years rather than what it looks like now. When the Twin Towers were there Cesar Pelli's World Financial Center brought balance to the skyline, softening the Trade Center towers and creating a composition that almost makes lower Manhattan look like a giant sand castle. When the Twin Towers were gone the World Financial center by itself looked bulky, boxy and bad in every way. Once larger towers rise behind it these buildings will once again frame the skyline in a satisfying way.

Goldman Sachs is a continuation of that frame and once the other buildings are completed it will work.

I love the shape and glass and metal texture of this building. To me, it has a beautiful form.
well put! i agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogfisher View Post
I think this is just another addition to the already "boring" skyline of New York.

Its been done and seen before... not even the incredible simplicity of the structure does anything for it...

But... it isn't ugly... just insignificant.
"boring"? well then you must love the asian and especially south american skylines. lots of boxes there! at least NYC is trying to build differently even if it fails sometimes. you will never find such an unique skyscraper collection in the world!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 3:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Right, it's a great addition, a massive piece to the ever changing skyline that is New York.

mucro

Old Posted Feb 18, 2010, 3:23 AM

I honestly cannot fathom how anyone could think New York's skyline is boring. It blows my mind.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 7:51 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Right, it's a great addition, a massive piece to the ever changing skyline that is New York.

mucro

Very powerful shot, especially considering the clientele which makes up those buildings. You have the headquarters of Merrill Lynch, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Deloitte & Touché and the NYMEX all in that one shot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture