HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 5:44 PM

New Calgary Transit real-time app is out. It's pretty good.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 6:00 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Still useless to me until they put it on a BB platform too. But I suppose I am in the miniscule minority that have that problem.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Still useless to me until they put it on a BB platform too. But I suppose I am in the miniscule minority that have that problem.
Amazon App store?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 6:35 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Amazon App store?
Not there yet, hopefully they will pick it up.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
This is actually the first app I have downloaded from Google Play that I couldn't patch to my Z10. But as another BB user, I definitely, definitely recommend getting Snap and a GMaps patcher. You can use more or less anything thats available on the Google Play store.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIce View Post
This is actually the first app I have downloaded from Google Play that I couldn't patch to my Z10. But as another BB user, I definitely, definitely recommend getting Snap and a GMaps patcher. You can use more or less anything thats available on the Google Play store.
Well that makes 3 of us then who are using BlackBerry 10 devices! Maybe there's more of us out there than I thought!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 8:19 PM

You people and your cellular communication devices...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
Well that makes 3 of us then who are using BlackBerry 10 devices! Maybe there's more of us out there than I thought!
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 1:54 AM

LOL. Well if that doesn't make us worthy of a BlackBerry 10 app by Calgary Transit, nothing will!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 9:12 PM
YIMBY

Can someone explain the rational behind the fact that the #2 has stops on three consecutive blocks?

6669 - SB Centre St @ 4 Ave S
5421 - SB Centre St @ 5 Ave S
5115 - WB 6 Ave SW @ 1 St SW

2 of those also serve the 3 & 17.

Really the 5421 stop in front of Suncor could go away and no one would be inconvenienced, creates a milk run when the bus has to stop at all three to let people off.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Can someone explain the rational behind the fact that the #2 has stops on three consecutive blocks?

6669 - SB Centre St @ 4 Ave S
5421 - SB Centre St @ 5 Ave S
5115 - WB 6 Ave SW @ 1 St SW

2 of those also serve the 3 & 17.

Really the 5421 stop in front of Suncor could go away and no one would be inconvenienced, creates a milk run when the bus has to stop at all three to let people off.
This is a problem throughout the system. In many, many systems.

I have always thought that the easiest wins to improve travel time, schedule reliability and overall transit performance is with dumb stuff like this. Costs almost nothing - monetarily or in time - to fix and yields. Big improvements.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 12:21 AM

What amazes me is all the people who get off at that second stop. People from the first stop are usually walking past the bus as they get off. As a #2'er, there are a few other places that confound me with the number of stops less than 200m apart.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 12:30 AM

I'm glad someone brought this up!, I thought I was the only one umimpressed by this, for me the #3 could go a lot further towards timesaving.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 5:06 AM

Really glad to see that CT is fixing those awful stairs/ramps at rundle station starting this weekend according to their website. They'll be a lot less people likely to fall now...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post

I have always thought that the easiest wins to improve travel time, schedule reliability and overall transit performance is with dumb stuff like this. Costs almost nothing - monetarily or in time - to fix and yields. Big improvements.
Route 20 spends 5 minutes simply going around the Hospital. One stop at the entrance would be more than enough.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 5:30 PM

I'll give some leeway to a hospital route, since some users may be unable to walk very far, though they could probably cut that down to 2 stops. One at the main building and one at the north one. That first stop by 14th doesn't even really serve the hospital, maybe meant for the transfer to the 306?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 6:05 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe498 View Post
Route 20 spends 5 minutes simply going around the Hospital. One stop at the entrance would be more than enough.
The bus would still have to drive most of that loop to make a single stop at the entrance, and the north building (formerly Glenmore Auxiliary) would be a 500m walk from the single stop. Luckily everyone using a hospital is in incredibly fit physical condition and has no problem with a long walk! Especially the ones using the north building, which is almost entirely devoted to services aimed at ailing senior citizens.

The stop by 14th I suspect serves the residents of Kelvin Grove on the other side of 14th; there is a ped crossing at the 306 stop, just south of the intersection with 14th.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
The bus would still have to drive most of that loop to make a single stop at the entrance, and the north building (formerly Glenmore Auxiliary) would be a 500m walk from the single stop. Luckily everyone using a hospital is in incredibly fit physical condition and has no problem with a long walk! Especially the ones using the north building, which is almost entirely devoted to services aimed at ailing senior citizens.

The stop by 14th I suspect serves the residents of Kelvin Grove on the other side of 14th; there is a ped crossing at the 306 stop, just south of the intersection with 14th.
In addition to distance consideration for the mobility challenged, there is significant elevation gain also. Different context completely from the downtown touchstone.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post

Don't forget the community of Eagle Ridge is served by that stop. Many of those homes have domestic staff who use transit (who don't actually have sidewalks to walk on between the bus stop and the residence they are employed at).

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 10:45 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What amazes me is all the people who get off at that second stop. People from the first stop are usually walking past the bus as they get off. As a #2'er, there are a few other places that confound me with the number of stops less than 200m apart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govertical View Post
I'm glad someone brought this up!, I thought I was the only one umimpressed by this, for me the #3 could go a lot further towards timesaving.
In addition there is an off peak drop off north of 4th Ave, that creates a 4 block/4 stop stretch.

If they split the 2 & 3 stops they might make sense otherwise it's just additional dwell time that isn't needed.

6669 - SB Centre St @ 4 Ave S - This should be a #2 stop only
5421 - SB Centre St @ 5 Ave S - This could serve #3 & 17
5115 - WB 6 Ave SW @ 1 St SW - If 5421 is removed from the #2 then this stop makes sense

Then 6669 & 5115 are ~300m apart and puts the #3 stops ~450m apart.

That said I think one could argue that 5421 should be deleted entirely, this would put the #3 stops ~550m apart, which is about right IMO.

These stops seem to be based on a desire for every route to provide service to every 300m on it's route, this means that these stops need to exist to serve Chinatown.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure