HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 7:51 PM
Littering and............

First pre-cast platform piece is down on 4th St. station. Hopefully more to come soon.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 9:44 PM

Looks like the tunnel forms are starting to go up at the 64th Avenue tunnel to the NE extension...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 4:37 PM
Bring buildings to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflexzero View Post
Yeah they just put in the chain link fence sound wall next to my house. Nothing but the best!

I can already see that the 2 street level crossings mixed with the furious lane-changing and two more sets of traffic lights on the NW corner of Saddletowne Circle are going to be a major clusterbomb when completed.

So, the question is, will my property value increase or decrease when Saddletowne station is opened?
I don't mind the C-Train noise, but the crossing bell noise would prevent me from considering a property there.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 2:23 PM
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoLance21 View Post
I don't mind the C-Train noise, but the crossing bell noise would prevent me from considering a property there.
Well, guess I'll be moving before the line opens in 2012, which is too bad as I've watched my community grow up over the last 10 years.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 11:19 PM

Got to ride one of those Nova buses you guys were talking about. Not in Calgary though. I'm currently in Kelowna for a week or so. Pretty neat stuff.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 5:43 AM

Figured I'd post a shot of the work at Brentwood thats been underway for nearly a month now. Just rebuilding the bus loop, shifting it a tiny bit further southwest to give more room for the lane that runs along Crowchild which has historically been quite tight. Also will be new modern shelters on the loop and new electronic displays.

Brentwood Bus Loop Reconstruction by Jason R. Reid, on Flickr

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 10:15 PM

Is google maps transit directions broken for anyone else? I've submitted a report to google, but in the mean time I've been forced to use Calgary Transit's trip planning

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 10:37 PM
Transit/Cartography Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Figured I'd post a shot of the work at Brentwood thats been underway for nearly a month now. Just rebuilding the bus loop, shifting it a tiny bit further southwest to give more room for the lane that runs along Crowchild which has historically been quite tight. Also will be new modern shelters on the loop and new electronic displays.
Am I reading correctly? Are we finally getting some of the 'Electronic Displays' promised for quite a while now? We haven't even got clocks at the newer stations, like Brentwood used to have, like Whitehorn has as far as I know still has. We don't have anything resembling technology newer than the invention of the escalator or elevator, really. New stations don't even have public phones, as a friend of mine found out when his cell phone died.

I look forward eagerly to even a clock (showing what time CT thinks it is) at any bus loop. I also look forward to the electronic displays and new ticket machines that were promised a year or two ago. Weren't those funded and supposed to be implemented sometime this or next year?

I like that they're replacing the somewhat aged bus shelters, and I hope some of the other bus loops get the same treatment. And the stations, getting the treatment Whitehorn is getting (particularly the 29 year old south ones).

As an aside: I can see my home in that picture.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 11:10 PM

^ Projects have to be done by April as they were funded by stimulus funds. Going to be lots of small projects over the next months, or rather building the backends for all these systems.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 6:40 PM

Can anybody direct me to some info about the expansion to four-car platforms? I can't seem to find anything on the City's website. (big suprise!) I was discussing it with soembody the other day, and wanted to find some budget numbers, timelines, etc.

Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 6:47 PM

Not much has been said, the most info anywhere is in this press release from transport canada:

Quote:
Four-car LRT Station Platforms — $60 million
To increase CTrain capacity, suburban station platforms will be lengthened to accommodate future four-car trains along the south and northwest LRT. The scope involves station upgrading in the south at Fish Creek, Canyon Meadows, Anderson, Southland, Heritage, Chinook,39th Avenue, Erlton and Stampede, and along the northwest at Brentwood, University, Banff Trail, Lions Park, SAIT and Sunnyside.
Quote:
LRT Traction Power Upgrades — $30 million
Upgraded electrical substations, overhead wiring and associated facilities are required to accommodate four-car trains and conduct lifecycle maintenance.
That was for the announcement of $270M that was from the city, province and feds, with the federal money coming from both the stimulus plan (projects to be completed by March 2011) and the building Canada fund (projects to be completed by spring 2015).

Of course the fact they are starting on the NE instead does throw the reliability of what was in the PR in question, whether they changed where they are upgrading with those funds or if the NE is being done using other money.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 7:45 PM

Thanks for that mersar!

I'm starting to wonder if this project isn't 10 or 15 years away, then it could increase capacity by 33% with minimal investent.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 1:48 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap384 View Post
First pre-cast platform piece is down on 4th St. station. Hopefully more to come soon.
Yep, a whole platform form full of the pieces:

New4STW-09022010-1 by srp775, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 11:12 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Shuttle bus service only between Franklin and MKWW this whole weekend. There is maintenance being done at marlbourough, and I believe that the platform might be getting replaced ( and the extended platform panels put on too) at whitehorn station.

Edit: I think the switches south of whitehorn station are being replaced too.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Shuttle bus service only between Franklin and MKWW this whole weekend. There is maintenance being done at marlbourough, and I believe that the platform might be getting replaced ( and the extended platform panels put on too) at whitehorn station.

Edit: I think the switches south of whitehorn station are being replaced too.
Stringing catenary for the new crossover at Marlborough, and tieing in the signals for it. Replacing two switches at Whitehorn, and I belive pouring the ramp on the south - no platform replacement yet.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 8:49 PM
Transit/Cartography Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrainDude View Post
Stringing catenary for the new crossover at Marlborough, and tieing in the signals for it. Replacing two switches at Whitehorn, and I belive pouring the ramp on the south - no platform replacement yet.
Really? They're running out of weekends/weather to close the line.

So, it is a new crossover. Good, the NE line needs more of those... and the S line, too. And that line also needs platform replacements and station upgrades... I hope we can afford to do all of them...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 5:47 AM

Is Calgary getting some like this?

ETS Platinum (6002) Interior by KBauschardt, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 7:39 PM
I'm the bear on the right

CT's Proposed Airport Access Plan:

http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/Pr...an_for_YYC.pdf

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 8:23 PM

Well good thing we have elected officials that will fix that gobbledigook. Centre St tram and NC LRT?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 10:14 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Why is Calgary Transit so off base with everything they do. Trams (and everyone should know how much I love them) are not a f*&king express service. Trams are slow. Taking a tram from the airport to centre street to downtown would be ridiculously slow. A tram that goes up centre street to maybe 40th avenue would be okay. But to the airport? Facepalm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure