HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 1:05 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooky View Post
MonctonGoldenFlames>

In the end its about density. Should we forget about the 30,000 people that already use the 301N and 3 up Center Street? If you look at that as a starting point versus 0 (pre-TOD taking 10-20-30 years to flush out) up Nose Creek until 32nd ave and then industrial from 32 to 64th avenue, and then residential, I think the argument leans heavily on Center Street LRT servicing now and into the future more potential customers. Center can still be turned eastward so it doesn't preclude a run to the airport, or a people mover to connect to the LRT system.
To put it into persepective, 30000 daily boardings on the C Street bus routes compares favourably to many NA city's entire light rail system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_r..._North_America

Almost the same as Minneapolis's light rail system.

Without a single additional living unit being built along the corridor, the ridership already exists to justify the alignment.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 1:14 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Whitehorn Renovations:

Took my first trip to the NE in a year to grab some pics of what's been going on at Whitehorn.

WHI-20101016-2 by srp775, on Flickr

WHI-20101016-5 by srp775, on Flickr

WHI-20101016-7 by srp775, on Flickr

No work on the inside yet.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 4:54 AM

Are they adding canopy's like the downtown stations?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 5:03 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Not the same, but half of the platform will be covered:

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/w..._stn_2010.html

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 6:07 AM

So I finally got that first page graphic transit info listing up. More to add, some to edit, but it's there.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 6:12 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
So I finally got that first page graphic transit info listing up. More to add, some to edit, but it's there.
Welcome back Frink. We missed you.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 6:20 AM
Transit/Cartography Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
i'm not saying we should ignore the 30,000 or so people who use the 301 or 3, but we should also not ignore the thousands of people who travel the deerfoot to reach downtown.
We aren't ignoring the Deeerfoot commuters, as Centre St is as close to Deerfoot and areas it draws its traffic from as the South LRT is and SE LRT will be.

Nice to see Whitehorn looking new. It would be very nice to see all the 1985, as well as the 1981 stations receive this treatment in the next few years...

4th St is moving along, Westbound City Hall has platform and canopy well set up, and Eastbound City Hall is finally having the platform base poured.

And the new SD160's are being tested frequently (info from CPTDB).

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 1:44 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
First off, nice to have you back! Secondly, great job!

One thing, could you possibly include some basic info about the current system? It would be helpful for visitors looking for such info.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 9:32 PM
Home of Hyperchange

So, trying to avoid clogging the election thread... Nenshi (along with the other 2 top candidates) campaigned saying he'd get rid of the Park 'n Ride fee.

Anyone want to make an educated guess as to how long that might actually take to happen?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 9:35 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Anyone have an educated guess at how much that might add to the deficit? (or would it?)

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 9:36 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
So, trying to avoid clogging the election thread... Nenshi (along with the other 2 top candidates) campaigned saying he'd get rid of the Park 'n Ride fee.

Anyone want to make an educated guess as to how long that might actually take to happen?
I would hope they can turn that around right away...... I am also still questioning how good that new park plus system is..... tourists hate the system and the other day I forgot to deactivate my parking session and got charged 20+ dollars for 10 minutes of parking..... I think we just have to live with the system for now... goodbye to LRT pay lots though.....

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 9:40 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Anyone have an educated guess at how much that might add to the deficit? (or would it?)
I have a "3" stuck in my head. It's either $300,000 or $3 million. Or I'm full of shit.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 10:39 PM
Transit/Cartography Geek

On a slightly off-topic note...

I collect maps, and today major Canadian publisher MapArt released, after 2 years, their Calgary map. Of interest is the fact they have marked in ALL the potential future LRT corridors. SELRT, WLRT to Aspen, NELRT past Saddleridge, SLRT past Somerset, and NCLRT on the Nose Hill routing.

I'm not sure why a popular map company would print routes that are almost certainly going to change, and may not be built for decades, but it's kind of interesting. It's fun to see what we could eventually have, if I wait long enough for them to build things.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 11:00 PM

Probably about $3M is what it would take out of revenues.

That said, the first council meeting in early November will be likely when its first brought up, though its going to be behind a couple other transit related items so I also wouldn't be surprised if its not brought up for actual discussion for a bit.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 11:02 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKeyo View Post
On a slightly off-topic note...

I collect maps, and today major Canadian publisher MapArt released, after 2 years, their Calgary map. Of interest is the fact they have marked in ALL the potential future LRT corridors. SELRT, WLRT to Aspen, NELRT past Saddleridge, SLRT past Somerset, and NCLRT on the Nose Hill routing.

I'm not sure why a popular map company would print routes that are almost certainly going to change, and may not be built for decades, but it's kind of interesting. It's fun to see what we could eventually have, if I wait long enough for them to build things.
I love maps and collect them as well. I have a 1994 map of Calgary that I bought the first time I visited......among other obscure cities from years ago like grande prairie.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 4:09 AM
someone

i'm really digging nenshis third priority, getting the selrt started as soon as the wlrt is done. he says the city may have a reserve fund for it already, anyone have some insight?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I would hope they can turn that around right away...... I am also still questioning how good that new park plus system is..... tourists hate the system and the other day I forgot to deactivate my parking session and got charged 20+ dollars for 10 minutes of parking..... I think we just have to live with the system for now... goodbye to LRT pay lots though.....
I love the Park Plus system. Highly recommend setting up an account with your cc and cell phone. I will admit canceling can be a pain, but I assure you, you'll learn quickly to remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I have a "3" stuck in my head. It's either $300,000 or $3 million. Or I'm full of shit.
$3 per day perhaps (or is that not even right?)...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 4:38 AM

Agreed on Park Plus. I think it's great, and have never had a problem at all.

I seem to remember $6 million for park and ride revenue. But like freeweed, I could be full of shit too.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogged View Post
i'm really digging nenshis third priority, getting the selrt started as soon as the wlrt is done. he says the city may have a reserve fund for it already, anyone have some insight?
Well, there is Green Trip, that with a P3 partner, and maybe a P3 boost from the feds (from the P3 Canada fund) could build it without tapping other capital funds. It is robbing peter to pay paul however - but we do get the infrastructure in the mean time.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 12:37 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

When is the WLRT scheduled to open again?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure