HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 9:56 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Montreal Transportation - Metro and Bixi

Montreal Transit Photos

You may have seen my photo threads from Montreal and Quebec. Here are some assorted pictures about their transportation infrastructure, mostly from Montreal.

This picture pretty well sums up what will be the two main subject matters: Montreal's Metro and Bixi bike-sharing system. The building is the entrance to a Metro station, and you can see a Bixi station in the foreground.

The Metro, very French-like with its blue cars:

Montreal's Metro is famous for its rubber tires.

Another couple of station entrances. We don't have these in DC. Entrances are either integrated into large commercial buildings or covered by a canopy.

The iconic Metro logo.

I arrived into Montreal by Amtrak. This is the inside of the central train station. I never managed to get a look at the outside.

And now, Bixi.

Stations like this one are placed all around town. You unlock a bike using a little computer terminal, which is self-powered by solar cells. Once you've unlocked a bike you get 1/2 hour to ride it free of charge, after which the system charges you. You can generally get anywhere in the coverage area in less than 1/2 hour, so there are rarely fees. You do have to pay for a membership, however. Memberships are either annual (something like $80/year) or daily ($5/day).

A closer look at one of the bikes, locked into its docking station. They are sturdy bikes, built for city riding. Handlebars for upright seating, step-through frame, fenders, skirt guard (transparent, but there), chain guard, built in kinetic-powered lights, front basket... not a racing bike.

Stations are modular and come in all sizes. From small neighborhood locations...

... to major hubs.

Bike-sharing systems like Bixi are common in Europe, but only beginning to come to North America. Washington, DC has a smaller system (with plans to significantly expand), and a few other North American cities are planning them (Minneapolis, Boston, New York, Mexico City, Denver). As a result, Bixi remains something of a curiosity for tourists.

Since some destinations are more popular than others (for example, people like to ride downhill but not so much uphill), Bixi needs a staff to keep bikes spread out evenly through the system. All it takes is a truck and someone to move bikes around. Bikes that need maintenance go in the flatbed of the pickup. In DC we have a guy in a van who does this job, but Montreal's system is bigger.

A close-up of the pay station. You swipe your credit card, then the station prints out a small paper with a three digit code. You use the code to unlock a bike (see next picture).

Here is a bike docking station (sans the bike). You can see the slightly blurred keypad on its left side. Once you tap in the correct code, the bike unlocks.

Bixi is very popular, and extremely heavily used. It is rapidly becoming an icon of the city, in the same manner as the Metro. It is celebrated by a flower hedge at city hall.

Montreal's bike-friendliness goes beyond Bixi, however. Were it in the US, we would almost certainly consider it the best biking city in the country.

It is criss-crossed by an impressive system of cycle tracks...

... Supplemented by things like sharrows.

As a result, lots and lots of people ride...

... And special function bikes are common.

Finally, a quick bonus from Quebec City.

They have ferries.

And adorable little buses, for the tight streets of the old city.

End.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 10:25 PM

Great stuff there!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 10:31 PM
Chairman

Memories...

One thing I like about Montreal is the respect for bicyclist and its very extensive mass transit. Everytime I visit Montreal I use a bike or mass transit to get around. Some problems here and there but my experience has been excellent.

I like those bike rentals. It has "future" look. The bikes themselves are quite nice. I would not mind having one those bikes for myself.

...and I do remeber the loud subways.

-sb

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 10:56 PM

Great thread Cirrus!

There are some bixi stations located as far as the olympic stadium, which would take much more than 30 min to get to a station in the downtown area though, so a fee would be applied there.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 11:02 PM

Here's an interesting site on the Montreal Metro explaining all the stations and artwork throughout: http://www.metrodemontreal.com/

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 11:11 PM

Sure, Darkoshvilli, going from one extreme end of the coverage area to the other takes longer, but generally speaking the majority of trips aren't going to trigger the fee.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 2:47 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Love it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 2:55 AM

Nice photos, Montreal I've heard as a good transit city, although it isn't discussed as much. I think Montreal is the most bike friendly city in Canada, and could probably kick America's most bike friendly city (Portland, Oregon) to China along with all the other really bike friendly cities down there.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 3:31 AM

Montreal is my favorite North American city so far, but some of the tourist attractions where rather disappointing. I wish Baltimore had a good transit system like Montreal.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 3:51 AM
King of the Queen

Awesome photos!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 6:05 AM

I had visit Montreal a few times before I ever step foot in Paris. Immediately I could see how it was modeled after the Metro in Paris. Lots of similarities rubber tires, interior, stations, but overall this city system is much cleaner.

I had wondered also about how you go about renting those bikes (Bixi) as I recall seeing them all over Paris a couple months ago. Long Beach had tried something like this on a very small scale, but all of the bikes vanished.

If I remember correctly, I think there is some talk about doing it again with a better plan. We already have a bike station where commuters can park their bikes, get them serviced, and also showers for those who travel from downtown Long Beach and onto downtown LA if that is their destination.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Feb 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 6:23 AM

Bixi is what's called a "third generation" bike-sharing system, which means it's fairly high-tech. They have your credit card and know when you unlock a bike. If you don't return it, guess how much they bill you.

So-called first and second generation systems, which I assume is what Long Beach would have had, were far less successful and never took off on a large scale.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 6:40 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Very cool photos, thanks!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 5:09 PM

wonderful thread and topical focus on my beloved hometown.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 5:23 PM

Nice thread.

Ottawa and Gatineau also have the Bixi stations, just installed last year. Hopefully this spreads to more cities in Canada and the US.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Nice thread.

Ottawa and Gatineau also have the Bixi stations, just installed last year. Hopefully this spreads to more cities in Canada and the US.
i think Boston, New York and London are getting the BIXI

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 7:50 PM

Wonderful pictures! I haven't visited Montreal since Bixi made its debut but I'm sure it's wonderful.

Here in Philadelphia, it seems like every time we expand bike lanes and bike parking, or even broach the subject of bike sharing, someone always argues that bicycles will never be a viable mode of transportation here because Philly is too cold in the winter. I'm sure you Montrealers will get a good laugh out of that one.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2010, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
Here in Philadelphia, it seems like every time we expand bike lanes and bike parking, or even broach the subject of bike sharing, someone always argues that bicycles will never be a viable mode of transportation here because Philly is too cold in the winter. I'm sure you Montrealers will get a good laugh out of that one.
That's because Philly has more black folks, and most of us (not me so much) hate the cold. Montreal has more Europeans who can tolerate it better. Ever heard the comedian Paul Mooney joke about how to get rid of black folks. Just turn up the air condition because we hate cold.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
Wonderful pictures! I haven't visited Montreal since Bixi made its debut but I'm sure it's wonderful.

BIXI is mothballed for the winter in Montreal.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2010, 10:34 PM

Wow, I am impressed. Of course, Montreal is light years ahead compared to other cities (like Denver) regarding the proclivity and availability of alternatives to cars and SUVs (LOL). Denver is slowly coming around, compared to other cities like Houston, Phoenix, Dallas, etc... We even have the start of Bixi type bike stations here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos