Let's not forget we also need, outside of competition venues:
- Training facilities for, possibly, all of these sports (There are training facilities for all the winter olympics sports, so I think they are needed for summer too)
- Olympics village (This is going to be, like, 10x bigger than our winter Olympics village)
- Media centre (This is also going to be super massive and the Vancouver Convention Centre + Canada Place won't be nearly big enough)
and, umm... probably a lot of other miscellaneous things I'm missing. Yeah, it's going to be massive and I honestly wonder if we got the space for them all within acceptable travel.
Originally Posted by mr.x
A FIFA World Cup bid is a huge no:
1) World Cups are held by NATIONS, not regions. A Vancouver bid would also see every major Canadian city as host cities. We wouldn't be bidding with Seattle.
2) FIFA greatly disliked the Korea-Japan 2002 arrangement and have said they will never do that again.
1) We don't even have enough stadiums to host the World Cup, so yeah, it's not going to happen until maybe 2050+
2) Yeah I've heard of that too, so I don't have any hopes we will win any joint World Cup bid. Either way, I go back to my first point about Canada's lack of stadiums. So yeah, not happening for MANY years.