HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 3:14 AM
jtk1519's Avatar
jtk1519 jtk1519 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 972
Bush Library aiming for LEED Platinum certification

First of all, please keep this thread about the technology and architecture and save the political bullshit for the Skybar. I think we're all gown up enough to handle that.

Quote:
George W. Bush library's blueprints filled with green, following trend of other big public buildings
08:24 AM CDT on Sunday, March 14, 2010
By RANDY LEE LOFTIS / The Dallas Morning News
rloftis@dallasnews.com


A big environmental change is coming to a muddy, skinned-off patch of former condominium land jammed up against one of Dallas' busiest freeways.

Native prairies, oaks and wildflowers, reminders of North Texas' natural past, are destined for the site's future. So, too, is a new building of nearly a quarter-million square feet that planners promise will meet the highest environmental and energy standards.

Details are just emerging about the environmental aspects of the George W. Bush Presidential Center, which will rise between Southern Methodist University's campus and North Central Expressway. Groundbreaking for the center, which will house the former president's archives, foundation, institute and a museum, is expected late this year.

The center's 23-acre tract will include native plants and sophisticated conservation measures, such as a wetland and underground cisterns to catch and recycle most rainwater. The building, made of Texas materials over cast concrete, will get nearly 10 percent of its electricity and all of its hot water from solar energy.
.
.
.
Certification push

The project aims to earn a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design platinum certification, the highest rating offered by the U.S. Green Building Council, which promotes energy-efficient construction with low-toxicity materials. Former President Bill Clinton's library in Little Rock, Ark., has LEED platinum certification.

To reduce energy use, the Bush building will have energy-efficient windows, heating and air conditioning, in addition to window overhangs to provide shade. Solar power will provide hot water and some electricity.

...
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...z.4a15b95.html
__________________
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -- Galileo
My Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 4:15 AM
LMich's Avatar
LMich LMich is offline
Midwest Moderator - Editor
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Big Mitten
Posts: 30,039
I don't know, man; that's going to be difficult. The irony just jumps right out in front of you, and then smacks you in the face on this one. lol
__________________
Where the trees are the right height
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 4:30 AM
prospekt prospekt is offline
10005
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 87
that's gonna be a Hard LEED



I don't know how one can separate the Bush/Cheney legacy from Big Oil and pollution and thus this building. The building itself is a "political statement", filled with so much misrepresentation. It's especially ironic to read about native species which Bush&Co. spent much time trying to delist from protection.

A Presidential Library is about the President first and the architecture second. In which case this should be a bunker surrounded by empty fields.

Last edited by prospekt; Mar 16, 2010 at 4:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 7:59 AM
prospekt prospekt is offline
10005
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 87
Quote:
Drawing allusions to Texas habitats was important to the Bushes, Langdale said. The couple's ranch house in Crawford, which they built in 1999, incorporates green steps such as capturing rainwater and using natural breezes for ventilation, he said.
This is the best quote. The Crawford Ranch dates from 1999. All that brush clearing and dragging world leaders out there came from somebody trying to be Texan while also trying to become and own the Presidency. This theme is more a product of Karl Rove than GW Bush. I doubt the Crawford Ranch was serving the King of Saudi Arabia "captured rainwater" nor soothing Sarkozy with "natural breezes". The whole idea that GW loved his ranch was a lark. Where is he now, in Crawford?

GW was born in CT with a pedigree.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 9:05 AM
Double L's Avatar
Double L Double L is offline
Houston:Considered Good
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,136
From a Dallas perspective, good for Dallas! They will have what will hopefully be an architectural landmark along one of their highways!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 8:52 AM
Metro Matt Metro Matt is offline
Got Lights?
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Rose Capital of The World
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospekt View Post
This is the best quote. The Crawford Ranch dates from 1999. All that brush clearing and dragging world leaders out there came from somebody trying to be Texan while also trying to become and own the Presidency. This theme is more a product of Karl Rove than GW Bush. I doubt the Crawford Ranch was serving the King of Saudi Arabia "captured rainwater" nor soothing Sarkozy with "natural breezes". The whole idea that GW loved his ranch was a lark. Where is he now, in Crawford?

GW was born in CT with a pedigree.
George W. lives in Dallas now & his parents have lived in Houston for many years. He still has his ranch in Crawford.

BTW Obama isn't "from" Chicago either. In fact, its not totally clear where he is originally from or even if he is a true Christian as he claims he is. He was a senator for less time than it takes to become a manager at Wal-Mart.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Sep 29, 2010, 9:00 AM
Ryan8888 Ryan8888 is offline
ryan8888
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: camino
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
George W. lives in Dallas now & his parents have lived in Houston for many years. He still has his ranch in Crawford.

BTW Obama isn't "from" Chicago either. In fact, its not totally clear where he is originally from or even if he is a true Christian as he claims he is. He was a senator for less time than it takes to become a manager at Wal-Mart.
far out man
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 1:06 PM
austin242 austin242 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Austin
Posts: 410
What you talkin bout. Obama was born in honolulu hawaii that is a fact, and if he claims he is christian than he is, its that simple.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2011, 12:21 AM
jtk1519's Avatar
jtk1519 jtk1519 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 972
__________________
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -- Galileo
My Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2013, 12:51 AM
jtk1519's Avatar
jtk1519 jtk1519 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 972
Quote:
Bush Center earns a presidential library first: a LEED platinum rating for new construction
By Tom Benning
tbenning@dallasnews.com
11:19 am on April 11, 2013



Bluebonnets bloom on the grounds of the George W. Bush Presidential Center
Thursday, April 4, 2013 in University Park. (G.J. McCarthy/The Dallas Morning News)


The George W. Bush Presidential Center has accomplished a first for a presidential library, earning a platinum certification for new construction from the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program.

“As we approach the Bush Center’s April 25 dedication, we are proud to be recognized for our emphasis on sustainable building design,” said Mark Langdale, president of the George W. Bush Foundation.

The LEED certification, which highlights sustainable building design and construction, has long been a goal for the Bush Center. Platinum, the highest rating, was particularity ambitious given the center’s size and the tools it needs for its voluminous archive.

...
http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.c...m-rating.html/
__________________
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -- Galileo
My Blog
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 9:09 PM
rds989's Avatar
rds989 rds989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 366
This is a beatiful building and a great addition to the SMU campus. From what I've read of the programming, this is going to be a really active center.

Also, the snide commenters above can bugger off. Ignorant.
__________________
rds989
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 10:38 PM
texcolo's Avatar
texcolo texcolo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 3,729


I figured the Bush Library would expend as much oil as possible, with oil burn off towers like you'd see in Bladerunner or something.

I kid, I kid.

The building looks pretty snazzy and it being LEED certified is certainly a plus.

__________________
"I am literally grasping at straws." - Bob Belcher
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 12:51 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,224


That would be more befitting of a Huntsman library, were there ever one.

What a gorgeous structure. I've just been looking at other work by Robert A.M. Stern. Wow.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 2:56 AM
AviationGuy AviationGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
George W. lives in Dallas now & his parents have lived in Houston for many years. He still has his ranch in Crawford.

BTW Obama isn't "from" Chicago either. In fact, its not totally clear where he is originally from or even if he is a true Christian as he claims he is. He was a senator for less time than it takes to become a manager at Wal-Mart.
Where do you claim you're from, and what is your religion? Might it be unclear??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 11:07 PM
jtk1519's Avatar
jtk1519 jtk1519 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 972
In a desperate attempt to keep this thread from veering off course to much, here is a video of the landscape architect talking about the landscaping and water collection system...

Video Link
__________________
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -- Galileo
My Blog

Last edited by jtk1519; Apr 18, 2013 at 1:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 12:08 PM
vandelay vandelay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 478
Maybe it's unavoidable with a building like this, but I've noticed that a lot of the architectural criticism of the library attempts to discredit neo-classicism/traditionalism by tying it politically to conservatism/fascism, and vice-versa attaching (perhaps Stern's deliberate) allusions to fascist architecture to Bush's presidential record.

Clearly architecture can be an instrument of politics, but dismissing an entire type of architecture a priori, due to politics strikes me as ridiculous and weak-minded.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 4:07 PM
MolsonExport's Avatar
MolsonExport MolsonExport is online now
The Vomit Bag.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Liver & Onions
Posts: 22,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
In fact, its not totally clear where he is originally from or even if he is a true Christian as he claims he is. He was a senator for less time than it takes to become a manager at Wal-Mart.
Wholly shit, birther alert!!
__________________
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. -Donald Rumsfeld
Didn't you notice on the plane when you started talking, eventually I started reading the vomit bag?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:07 PM
Arquitect's Avatar
Arquitect Arquitect is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Maybe it's unavoidable with a building like this, but I've noticed that a lot of the architectural criticism of the library attempts to discredit neo-classicism/traditionalism by tying it politically to conservatism/fascism, and vice-versa attaching (perhaps Stern's deliberate) allusions to fascist architecture to Bush's presidential record.

Clearly architecture can be an instrument of politics, but dismissing an entire type of architecture a priori, due to politics strikes me as ridiculous and weak-minded.
Architecture has always been political. Especially when it comes to talking about architecture that memorializes leaders. That being said, having been to a few presidential libraries, this one seems to be one of the most uninspiring buildings I have seen. It is not the fact that it is neo-traditional, but rather that even at that it isn't a great neo-traditional building. In fact, it isn't even the best building in SMU's campus.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:34 PM
texcolo's Avatar
texcolo texcolo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Arvada, CO
Posts: 3,729
It's a pretty conservative building, but the SMU campus is mainly Neo-Georgian. You have to make it blend in a bit.

I like the Clinton Library better.

http://www.donparrish.com
__________________
"I am literally grasping at straws." - Bob Belcher
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:39 PM
vandelay vandelay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
Architecture has always been political. Especially when it comes to talking about architecture that memorializes leaders. That being said, having been to a few presidential libraries, this one seems to be one of the most uninspiring buildings I have seen. It is not the fact that it is neo-traditional, but rather that even at that it isn't a great neo-traditional building. In fact, it isn't even the best building in SMU's campus.
Not arguing the point about politics and architecture, but rather the discrediting of either politics by architectural association or architecture by political association. Both are shallow thinking, or worse a spurious attempt to elevate subjective opinion with historical fact.

Last edited by vandelay; Apr 26, 2013 at 7:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:25 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.