HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 11:52 PM

Along the Monongahela River (Part 1)

The Monongahela River is formed in Fairmont, WV, by the confluence of the West Fork and Tygart Valley Rivers. It flows north for 128 miles to Pittsburgh, PA, where it joins the Allegheny River to form the Ohio River.

This photo tour explores the towns and cities of the Monongahela River Valley. The Monongahela (or Mon), flows past an area which was once one of the major steel producing areas of the world.

Monongahela River

We begin our journey in Fairmont, WV, just below the confluence of the West Fork and Tygart Valley Rivers...

Fairmont, WV by jmd41280, on Flickr

Fairmont Theater by jmd41280, on Flickr

Jefferson Street Bridge by jmd41280, on Flickr

We move downstream to Morgantown, the home of West Virginia University...

Monongahela River from I-79 by jmd41280, on Flickr

Morgantown, WV by jmd41280, on Flickr

Morgantown from Coopers Rock Overlook by jmd41280, on Flickr

Crossing the border into Pennsylvania, we arrive at the town of Point Marion, where the Cheat River joins the Mon...

Point Marion, PA by jmd41280, on Flickr

Going further downstream, we arrive at Masontown...

Masontown, PA by jmd41280, on Flickr

Moving on northward, we arrive at the small town of Fredericktown...

Fredericktown, PA by jmd41280, on Flickr

Across the river from Fredericktown lies SCI Fayette, a state prison complex...

State Prison by jmd41280, on Flickr

Moving downstream, we arrive at Brownsville, where the National Road crosses the Mon. Brownsville was a major industrial hub at one time, however has seen a significant decline in population from its peak of over 8,000 people in 1940 to slightly over 2,000 people today. It's business district is mostly abandoned, although it is the home of the oldest existing cast iron bridge in America...

Brownsville by jmd41280, on Flickr

Brownsville by jmd41280, on Flickr

Monongahela River - Brownsville, PA by jmd41280, on Flickr

Moving downstream, we arrive at California, which is the home of California University of PA...

California, PA by jmd41280, on Flickr

California University of PA by jmd41280, on Flickr

Across the river from California is the small community of Newell. Newell is situated at a hairpin bend in the Mon known as the Greenfield Bend...

Newell, PA by jmd41280, on Flickr

Part 2 coming up shortly...

Hobbes: "Pittsburgh?"

Calvin: "You mean if we're good or if we're bad?"

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 4:18 AM

Nice pictures. I never heard of Brownsville. It seems like it has a great building stock.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice pictures. I never heard of Brownsville. It seems like it has a great building stock.
Thank you! While Brownsville's business district is largely abandoned, it does have some intact historical districts, for example, the Brownsville Northside Historic District along modern day US 40. It is on the hill above the business district, and features homes and buildings from the late 18th century/early 19th century.

In fact, the business district, which lies on a narrow neck of land between the Mon and the hill containing the Northside Historic District, is also considered a historic district.

When the weather gets nice, I may plan a more extensive photo tour of Brownsville...

Hobbes: "Pittsburgh?"

Calvin: "You mean if we're good or if we're bad?"

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos