HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Ritz-Carlton Residences in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 4:19 PM
tilted & shifted

Cool CHICAGO | The Ritz-Carlton Residences | 495 FT / 151 M | 40 FLOORS | COM

Height: 495 ft
Floor count: 40
Construction end:
Architect: Lucien Lagrange Architects
Developer: Prism Development Company LLC

Website

(Posted by spyguy)

http://www.theresidenceschicago.com/

Luxurious new Ritz-Carlton Residential Tower to rise in the heart of Chicago's 'Magnificent Mile'
Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C., of Chevy Chase, Maryland, and Chicago-based Prism Development Company, announced Prism's plan to construct a 40-story, 360,000-square-foot, Ritz-Carlton-managed residential tower on a prime site at North Michigan Avenue and Erie Street in the heart of the 'Magnificent Mile'.

Formerly occupied by The Terra Museum of American Art which closed its doors in October 2004, the site has long been considered one of the premier development opportunities in downtown Chicago due to its prominent North Michigan Avenue address, proximity to world-class shopping, dining and entertainment; and convenience to Chicago's leading corporate headquarters.

Designed by the renowned Chicago architectural firm, Lucien Lagrange Architects, designer of many of Chicago's grandest residential buildings, The Ritz-Carlton Residences, Chicago, Magnificent Mile will feature 86 ultra-luxurious residences ranging in size from approximately 1,370-square-foot, one-bedroom homes to grand penthouses of more than 5,700 square feet. The building will also include parking for 177 cars, 21,769 square feet of retail space, and the offices of The Terra Foundation.

"The Ritz-Carlton Residences will be the architectural icon that will bring back the understated elegance of the 1930's," said Lucien Lagrange.

Just one of the special features offered by the project is a full-floor private club reserved exclusively for homeowners. Elegantly styled by celebrated architecture and interior design firm, Darcy Bonner and Associates, the club will feature a grand salon, private dining room/board room, a billiard room and wine cellar, a screening room, a state-of-the-art exercise facility and spa.

"The club represents a synthesis of modern luxury with the classically inspired proportions and styling of the 1930's," added Darcy Bonner.

Ritz-Carlton management, concierge and maintenance staff will provide an unprecedented level of personal service to residents and their guests. Consistently rated as America's highest quality luxury hotel operator, The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company opened its first residence project in 2000. Since that time, Ritz-Carlton has expanded its residential property offerings to include residences in Baltimore, Boston, Coconut Grove, Dallas, Jupiter, Molasses Reef, New York, Philadelphia, Sarasota, Toronto, Vail, Washington, DC, Grand Cayman and Berlin. Ritz-Carlton currently operates 59 hotels in the Americas, Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa.

"Since the introduction of The Ritz-Carlton Residences concept, it has proven to be a residential lifestyle choice that appeals to everyone from first time home owners looking for the convenience of an urban address to those leaving large homes in the suburbs and opting for a new experience, which includes being catered to by staff trained by The Ritz-Carlton in the fine art of service and hospitality. Many of our owners have several homes in cities around the world. We know a stylish, sophisticated address in the heart of Chicago will be another real estate success story," said Simon F. Cooper, president and chief operating officer of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company.

Prism Development Company principals, Bruce Schultz and Jon Rodgers, said the building will exemplify the quality of architecture envisioned in Daniel Burnham's 1909 Plan of Chicago. The highest quality materials and finishes, combined with a distinctly Parisian styling, will usher in a new era of luxury living for those who "expect the extraordinary." Homeowners in The Ritz-Carlton Residences, Chicago, Magnificent Mile will enjoy concierge, dining, valet and butler services.

Sales of The Ritz-Carlton Residences, Chicago, Magnificent Mile are being coordinated by Rubloff Residential Properties. Home prices start at approximately $1.25 million. The project sales office is located at 625 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 500.

Construction of the new tower is scheduled to begin this fall with completion in 2008.

Recent construction photos:

Taken by spyguy (5/29/10)

Taken by george (6/18/10)

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 4:29 PM

Chicago is back on the map baby!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 5:13 PM

Seriously???

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 5:19 PM
BANNED

^^^ LOL... Priceless

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 5:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaguir3 View Post
Chicago is back on the map baby!
question 1: what map?

question 2: when did chicago fall off of this map?

question 3: how in the hell is this rehashed lagrange po-mo trainwreck gonna put chicago back on to said map?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 6:25 PM
gettin' rich!

Look on the bright side:
Densitybuilder.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 6:27 PM

I really love how the 3rd-9th floors behind the Farwell facade are gonna be parking overlooking Michigan Ave. Brilliant adaptive re-use and historical preservation of a designated landmark building.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 6:50 PM
Volatile Pacivist

So how did that happen? Toronto and Chicago somehow got each other's Ritz-Carlton developments. This one looks very typical of many of Toronto's recent cookie-cutter condo projects, while Toronto's is tall, balcony-less, and architecturally distinguished. Oh well, like Cal said, "density builder."

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 6:58 PM

At least your not getting all glass spandrel crap like toronto.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 8:19 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
I really love how the 3rd-9th floors behind the Farwell facade are gonna be parking overlooking Michigan Ave. Brilliant adaptive re-use and historical preservation of a designated landmark building.
^ Actually, I think parking begins on the 5th or 6th floor--forgot which one now..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 5:08 AM

I guess I'm just happy to see something going up in Chicago..the building is gross, but its something. I was used to seeing tower after tower going up that I got used to it.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 8:49 AM
Everywhere all at once

I thought it was a rather pretty design, befitting of a Ritz-Carlton tower luxury-wise, and the density it'll add is delicious. It feels like the good old days of '07-'08 watching something go from the ground up in Chicago!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Actually, I think parking begins on the 5th or 6th floor--forgot which one now..
We're both right and wrong:

http://www.lucienlagrange.com/portfo...on_residences/

There is some parking on floors 2-9, though floors 3-5 at least have the SE corner as office space.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 4:13 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

The beige precast cladding will really distinguish this tower from all of the other beige precast towers nearby.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 4:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
befitting of a Ritz-Carlton tower luxury-wise
But in this case it isn't the 'new' face of luxury, and it definitely isn't the 'old' face of luxury, its in some tacky pergatory region. Personally, and this may sound extreme, but it makes me question Ritz's understanding of their brand and of their market. This doesn't look or feel like 21st century modern luxury or pre-war luxury, this just looks cheap - passe, a building designed by and for undiscerning tastes.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 4:53 PM

Kinda art-decoish, which isn't bad. As long as it doesn't have a giant fez at the top.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2010, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
But in this case it isn't the 'new' face of luxury, and it definitely isn't the 'old' face of luxury, its in some tacky pergatory region. Personally, and this may sound extreme, but it makes me question Ritz's understanding of their brand and of their market. This doesn't look or feel like 21st century modern luxury or pre-war luxury, this just looks cheap - passe, a building designed by and for undiscerning tastes.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
it makes me question Ritz's understanding of their brand and of their market. This doesn't look or feel like 21st century modern luxury or pre-war luxury, this just looks cheap - passe, a building designed by and for undiscerning tastes.
(me too)
Or the other alternative ... you need to question your own understanding of Ritz's brand and of their market. In other words, you nailed it: Luxury in the 21st century is just whoring brands and cliches to people with money, and the nouveau riche do not have developed tastes. Alas, welcome, everyone, to the future.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 12:52 PM

^^^ Totally agree. Its like Lowenberg refusing to acknowledge that Aqua's progressive design is the reason the building is so successful. Its staring him right in the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
trainwreck
Best word to describe this building. What a hideous design.

Should have never made a thread for it and many of us would have never known it existed! 80's meets precast. MMm...mmm...mmm...mmm...MMM. DELICIOUS!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2010, 2:47 PM

Maybe I'm crazy but, for a residence, I love the design. I'd live there any day of the week. There's thousands of buildings in Chicago that look worse. I don't buy into the notion that only natural stones like marble and limestone look good. I see the building as a whole, consider the design, the setting, and aesthetically, how well it wears over time. Some materials, including the "good looking" natural materials, look like crap after 20 years. I don't see the Ritz allowing the façade to deteriorate like that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive