HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Sorry, but you misunderstand the nature of civic politics. Those who don't have the patience for listening to folks shouldn't be in the game (are your ears burning, Larry Campbell?). If we had ward system it would be even more so.
No, clearly you're the one that doesn't understand. If this politician were doing things exactly the way you wanted, then you'd have no problem him doing what he wants. I think your hatred for this man is clouding your judgement.

Give me some examples of great civic politicians that do everything that everyone else tells them to and doesn't follow the platform they were elected on.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 5:53 PM

Plus, I wouldn't use Suzanne Anton as a beacon of proper civic discussion. She's made her share of stupid and inane comments - most recently, about Patti Bacchus and the VSB Board of Trustees.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
No, clearly you're the one that doesn't understand. If this politician were doing things exactly the way you wanted, then you'd have no problem him doing what he wants. I think your hatred for this man is clouding your judgement.

Give me some examples of great civic politicians that do everything that everyone else tells them to and doesn't follow the platform they were elected on.
I suggest a Civics 101 course is in order. It is a foolish politician who doesn't take the public's views into account, especially at the civic level. Similarly, it is a foolish politician indeed who takes a sneering tone against "owners". They might want to consult who actually turns out to vote on election day.

Nobody is asking the mayor to "do everything that everyone else tells them to.." However, if the process become a sham railroading of an agenda, what they will ensure is that voters who stayed home last time will turn out at the polls to protest the city ramming stuff down their throats without meaningful consultation. BTW, did Vision actually campaign on the specifics of the STIR program?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
Well put.

I'm most disappointed by Heather Deal, though. I had expected more from her because she has always struck me as the more professional and respectful of the bunch. To hear her joining in on the laughter was very disheartening. She certainly won't be getting my vote next time around.
Hmm, so it turns out Councillor Deal didn't make the offending comment, Which begs the questions: who did, and why haven't they admitted it?

Deal told the Courier that she did not say, “democracy cubed,” adding that it was someone else who walked by. She didn’t know if it was another politician.

Read more: http://www.vancourier.com/Mayor+apol...#ixzz0tgfF6ilU

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 3:20 AM

T-shirts take aim at Mayor Gregor Robertson's 'f---ing hacks' faux pas

Zazzle.ca is marketing T-shirts aimed at 'f---ing NPA hacks,' poking fun at Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson's ill-advised comments to city council colleagues.
Photograph by: Online, zazzle.ca

Residents still feeling a little tender about Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson’s trash-talking outburst last week can now wear their feelings on their sleeve.

Both sleeves, in fact.

Capitalizing on the flap created when the mayor and two Vision Vancouver colleagues were caught on microphone cursing members of the public who had earlier turned out to speak in council chambers, T-shirts are now being marketed by Mike Klassen, editor of the anti-Vision Vancouver website CityCaucus, to commemorate the moment.

They read: “%@#*&! NPA HACK?”

http://www.theprovince.com/shirts+ta...177/story.html

Old Posted Aug 8, 2010, 3:34 PM

Ouch! Sounds like even the mainstream media has gone a little sour on Gregor. From the Courier:

Two summer mistakes expose mayor's attitude and intellect

Robertson shuns democratic requirements

...Of course, these two incidents--the citizen slandering and the red light run--on their own mean little. But combined they reinforce what some have suspected all along. The mayor is supremely arrogant, and probably a little dim. And when shaping public policy and spending taxpayer cash, those traits matter. Big time.

If you followed Robertson on the '08 campaign trail, you know what I mean. His campaign speeches were empty fluffy things that hung in the air momentarily before disappearing forever. Follow-up questions were countered with meaningless platitudes, and while all politicians deal in talking points, candidate Robertson took the art of nothingness to a whole new level...

Read more: http://www.vancourier.com/news/summe...#ixzz0w1rgR1Iw

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Politics