HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 10:13 AM
zivan56 zivan56 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
I found after years of driving, when I used to drive. That one has to get in the mindset that they can not be bothered about denting their vehicle.

At that point I started to become more assertive and would just slowly creep over to a lane. Usually someone would panic and slow down. I would then just move in. I did it every time I had to cross the Knight Street Bridge after just entering from Bridgeport. I wanted to get into the left lane and no one was going to stop me.

Good thing you don't drive anymore...especially when you think being in a collision is justifiable for shaving a few seconds off your commute. I can only imagine how much your insurance went up with that type of attitude. Btw, that is called making an unsafe lane change. If you were to get into an accident, you would be completely at fault.

Besides, I'm sure if you signal properly and slow down people will let you in. Doing what you do, on the other hand, would cause people to not let you in. I sure wouldn't if I saw a car doing that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 8:02 PM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Good thing you don't drive anymore...especially when you think being in a collision is justifiable for shaving a few seconds off your commute. I can only imagine how much your insurance went up with that type of attitude. Btw, that is called making an unsafe lane change. If you were to get into an accident, you would be completely at fault.

Besides, I'm sure if you signal properly and slow down people will let you in. Doing what you do, on the other hand, would cause people to not let you in. I sure wouldn't if I saw a car doing that.
Got to love when what you say is taken completly out of context

Actually except for a rear ender that I was involved in back in 2003. Of which I was fully to blame, but walked away from without an increase in my insurance. I did have the full discount and the road star of 6 years. It would have been longer except for that rear ender. I've never had a fender bender or a side swipe or any of those things.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 8:36 PM
go_leafs_go02 go_leafs_go02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 2,098
I usually let one vehicle in to merge, unless you can see they're clearly trying to get around traffic and merge in a the last minute. Then I'm right on the bumper of the vehicle in front of me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 9:50 PM
Pinion's Avatar
Pinion Pinion is offline
Lower Lonsdale YIMBY
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: City of North Vancouver
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
The new ramps should fix the problem (for you at least) because you now have to turn left onto Willingdon southbound (no lane changing into traffic) - and additionally there will be two left turn lanes at Canada Way according to some diagrams (if they decide to implement it). The light, of course, will be a problem... I can imagine tons of impatient people trying to get onto Willingdon South, backing up to the highway, running the lights as much as they possibly can-- oh my, the new ramps will be very fun to navigate
A little too late for me. I graduated in 2006 and sold my car shortly after.

Still drive a co-op car 2-3 times a week, but the only time I go that way is to head to Metrotown (which is way easier).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 8:29 AM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
I usually let one vehicle in to merge, unless you can see they're clearly trying to get around traffic and merge in a the last minute. Then I'm right on the bumper of the vehicle in front of me.

I'm the same way. If there is a merging area. Then I'll let someone in. But I sure as hell won't let the person who decides to wait until the last point to merge.

A few weeks ago I happened to be driving through new west heading for HWY 1. So cut through front street. Get back onto columbia. Traffic had been crawling from about 1/2 along front street. I'm on columbia approaching the slight right turn to Brunette in the right lane like everyone else. When this guy zips past in the left lane. Then when he is about 50 feet from the light where the traffic diverts. He puts on his signal that he wants to get in. Sorry buddy but you are not getting in front of me. I sat 1 foot from the back of the bumper in front of me. And the guy behind was right on my bumper. Not sure how long that guy had to wait.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 3:56 PM
wrenegade's Avatar
wrenegade wrenegade is offline
ON3P Skis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SEFC, Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,233
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before but the Capilano Road -> Westbound Hwy 1 onramp is probably the most dangerous road section on the North Shore. At least in my opinion.
__________________
Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 4:51 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,025
Yeah it has been mentioned, and it is definitely the most dangerous heavily used road section.

IMO there are way more dangerous sections in caufield, but they see so little traffic it isnt as big a deal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 5:41 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
formerly tin²ium
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 5,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
I sat 1 foot from the back of the bumper in front of me. And the guy behind was right on my bumper. Not sure how long that guy had to wait.
Probably got in a few cars behind. Still, he likely saved a lot of time over waiting.

You guys got nothing on queue jumping until you've seen the 176th Ave. border crossing. There's a group of people who live in that area who regularly jump right down to 0 avenue and brazenly just push in. I've seen people get REALLY upset. Me, I usually let them in. There are more important things to get angry about and since getting upset about it just lets the other driver control me. One's reaction is usually a reflection of who one is on the inside... so I try to control mine.

Coming North, locals use a few side streets to practically get right up to within 5 car lengths of one of the border crossings. It's a pretty amazing short cut that's not well known to the Canadians. Of course, it's a little awkward to get to unless you know where you're going, but wow, who needs Nexus if you know that short cut.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 5:47 PM
go_leafs_go02 go_leafs_go02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 2,098
The biggest road rage I've ever had was driving to Princton on Highway 3.

I was driving an SUV (mid-size, Ford Escape) and ended up with a Smart Car in front of me.

in all the 80 km/h sections, this dude would go 80 km/h, down hills, since he's light, his vehicle didn't speed up and coast down. He stayed right on 80 km/h.

Me, being behind him, couldn't shift down because I only had 2nd and 1st gear, and had to lock on the brakes the whole time. Eventually my brakes over heated, turned spongy, and I almost lost control because this little car wouldn't speed up or coast (there were a good dozen vehicles in the queue behind).

When we level out, the road widens out, and the speed limit goes to 100 km/h. Guess who speeds up/takes off. Mr. Smartcar. He's flying around 130 km/h, making it impossible to catch up and pass so I don't have to deal with him the next downgrade.

Next downgrade - repeat process. Thankfully my brakes had cooled down, but it was scary. The car was shaking like crazy cause the brakes overheated because I had to keep them locked on in order not to fly into Mr. SmartCar.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 7:09 PM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
The biggest road rage I've ever had was driving to Princton on Highway 3.

I was driving an SUV (mid-size, Ford Escape) and ended up with a Smart Car in front of me.

in all the 80 km/h sections, this dude would go 80 km/h, down hills, since he's light, his vehicle didn't speed up and coast down. He stayed right on 80 km/h.

Me, being behind him, couldn't shift down because I only had 2nd and 1st gear, and had to lock on the brakes the whole time. Eventually my brakes over heated, turned spongy, and I almost lost control because this little car wouldn't speed up or coast (there were a good dozen vehicles in the queue behind).

When we level out, the road widens out, and the speed limit goes to 100 km/h. Guess who speeds up/takes off. Mr. Smartcar. He's flying around 130 km/h, making it impossible to catch up and pass so I don't have to deal with him the next downgrade.

Next downgrade - repeat process. Thankfully my brakes had cooled down, but it was scary. The car was shaking like crazy cause the brakes overheated because I had to keep them locked on in order not to fly into Mr. SmartCar.
I guess there was no way of passing Mr Smartcar on the uphill sections or sections with two lanes. Due to Mr Smartcar taking off. Mr Smartcar is definetly someone who has no clue on how to drive in a mountain. You don't go 80 km/h on a down hill than 100-130 km/h on an uphill.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 7:59 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fleetwood, Surrey BC
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
I guess there was no way of passing Mr Smartcar on the uphill sections or sections with two lanes. Due to Mr Smartcar taking off. Mr Smartcar is definetly someone who has no clue on how to drive in a mountain. You don't go 80 km/h on a down hill than 100-130 km/h on an uphill.
He's not dumb, he's just being an @$$hole. Enough said.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 12:07 AM
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before but the Capilano Road -> Westbound Hwy 1 onramp is probably the most dangerous road section on the North Shore. At least in my opinion.
Not as bad as the Boundary Road northbound onramp, IMHO. Neither ramp has a merge lane, but at least at Capilano you're not trying to accelerate uphill around three different curves and you have excellent visibility to see the traffic you're merging with.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 1:36 AM
Pinion's Avatar
Pinion Pinion is offline
Lower Lonsdale YIMBY
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: City of North Vancouver
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before but the Capilano Road -> Westbound Hwy 1 onramp is probably the most dangerous road section on the North Shore. At least in my opinion.
I lived at the top of Capilano road for 20 years and never had a problem there? Though maybe I would've if I didn't have a V6.

I'd say Capilano road itself is worse below the highway onramps. They're finally widening it by the looks of it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 7:20 PM
The_Henry_Man The_Henry_Man is offline
HA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St. Cloud, MN/Richmond, BC
Posts: 834
You guys forget the Exit ramp from Oak Street Bridge (going NB) to eastbound SW Marine. A byproduct of the 1950's highway design. Easily one of the most dangerous exits of the entire freeway network in the Lower Mainland. The exit opening is too narrow, sudden and was too short. Also the distance between the exit lane and the barrier was too small.

Heck, lanes of the entire Oak St Bridge was too narrow with little to no shoulder.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 7:24 PM
The_Henry_Man The_Henry_Man is offline
HA
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St. Cloud, MN/Richmond, BC
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I'll third Knight St. Bridge, for a bridge that was designed in a period where they should've known better about safe road design, they didn't know better. Shame on them.
I think the entire Knight St freeway and the bridge would still be smooth sailing today without much congestion if the Bridgeport interchange was better designed. Other than that, I think Knight St freeway itself is quite well maintained, with adequate shoulders. Yeah, the ramp from WB Marine to SB Knight St Bridge needs to be revisited, as someone has said.

(Well, most interchanges in the Lower Mainland are poorly designed anyway).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 7:55 PM
BCPhil BCPhil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,714
The thing I hate most about Knight Street is the lack of left turn lanes. To me, that makes the road feel so unsafe. Trucks speed through there, trying to pass each other, then dart out of the fast lane because someone is trying to turn left someplace stupid like 61st or 55th. Knight Street should have a concrete divider put up the middle and have all left turns banned 24 hours a day where there are no dedicated left turn lanes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 8:44 PM
go_leafs_go02 go_leafs_go02 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 2,098
One thing I think the RCMP/MoT should begin to include is a planned detour route for all incidents which involve highway closures.

For example today, Highway 1 was shut eastbound from 232 to 264 Street. Traffic was snarled everywhere.

There should be a well-signed route detailing the way to get to/from the closed location to the next access. Also, signal timing plans as well as flag persons should be scheduled with a plan to ensure that delays don't occur nearly as much when a poorly time signal or a major turning movement is needed.

Clearbrook was shut for construction last week for several nights. A great plan was executed which involved shutting down the signals and operating them by flagpersons and having a well signed route to follow.

Ontario has these items along their freeways in terms of permanent signage:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/traveller/signs/edr/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 9:48 PM
DKaz DKaz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fleetwood, Surrey BC
Posts: 2,970
I was driving back to Abby from the Wack and there was heavy traffic westbound on Hwy 1, I took a parallel route involving Keith Wilson Road, No 3 Road, and North Parallel Road. On North Parallel, it was a sight passing hundreds of slow or stopped cars. One Honda Ridgeline decided he had enough, got off the highway onto the grass, then got onto the road about three cars behind me. lol. It was like "I am a truck (albeit not a real truck but meh his choice), hear me ROAR!"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 10:20 PM
cabotp cabotp is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
The thing I hate most about Knight Street is the lack of left turn lanes. To me, that makes the road feel so unsafe. Trucks speed through there, trying to pass each other, then dart out of the fast lane because someone is trying to turn left someplace stupid like 61st or 55th. Knight Street should have a concrete divider put up the middle and have all left turns banned 24 hours a day where there are no dedicated left turn lanes.
It is a lot better than it used to be. I've lived in the area of 41st and Knight my whole life. And I clearly remember when Knight street had no left turn lanes at any of the interesections. Everytime an accident report list came out it wouldn't be surprising to see half the intersections along that corridor on that list.

I do agree though that left turns should be physically banned at side streets. At least between the bridge and 54th Ave. But I would install the left turn bays at 57th Ave, before doing such a thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:21 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man View Post
You guys forget the Exit ramp from Oak Street Bridge (going NB) to eastbound SW Marine. A byproduct of the 1950's highway design. Easily one of the most dangerous exits of the entire freeway network in the Lower Mainland. The exit opening is too narrow, sudden and was too short. Also the distance between the exit lane and the barrier was too small.

Heck, lanes of the entire Oak St Bridge was too narrow with little to no shoulder.
Well, the lanes were wider before they installed the centre median and sidewalk guardrails. But you're right that exit ramp is a nightmare. The whole bridge should be replaced with a six lane structure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:48 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.