HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals

100 Varick Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram
New York Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 2:44 AM
BANNED

Smile NEW YORK | 100 Varick St | FT | 20 FLOORS | PREP

Think Trump Soho has a hold on the Holland Tunnel hotel scene? Not if the sun has a say in the matter! The empty development lot at 100 Varick Street, hidden by a row of trees between Broome and Watts Streets in the West Soho region we love to call Hudson Square, is primed for its transformation into a new solar-powered hotel. The site was once touted as a 10-story condo project, but has been sitting forlorn since late 2007 when a Federal-era house sitting at 66 Watts Street since 1830 was annihilated in the name of progress. More recently the lot had an "Available Immediately" sign but there were no takers and only the rubble remained. Now it looks like the sun is finally ready to rise on Varick.

What's in store for the Holland Tunnel overlook. >>
Developer Charles Fridman of Shalimar Management and Morali Architects (formerly MStudio) have the permits in order, both for the new building and excavation for foundation work. The plan announced last year called for 26 stories, but records shows it's been cut back to 20 floors with a pool at the second and 202 rooms rising above.

When complete this solar stack of suites will join a slew of hotels that have gone up in this area over the past few years, including the aforementioned Trump Soho, the soon-to-open James New York on Grand Street and a couple of Poons erected to the north and the east. And how can we forget the new Gene Kaufman specials, one on Charlton and the other on Canal? No really, tell us how we can forget them. There's also the stalled Viceroy a few blocks north, which is looking like it's going to be the latest to arrive to the tourist party down in Hudson Square.
· Varick Street Hotel [Morali Architects]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...he_sun.php?o=2

Sadly, this 200+ year old house was razed for this project.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 3:11 AM

that sucks why'd they tear that house down!!!!!!!!!!!????????? theres just not enough of those....but at least a beautiful tower will replace it.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 60 Completed 14 Under Construction 31 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 6:35 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Mixed feelings, based on that render. It could be awesome, or it could be just another oddly-shaped bauble that briefly distracts the eye before being dismissed as a triviality.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 3:13 PM

I have no idea what's going on in that rendering, however my first assessment is that it looks pretty ugly. Wish they would rethink the design.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 2:15 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

With its stacked looking floors, this resembles a small version of 56 Leonard Street.

From Emporis:

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 10:08 AM

Any updates here?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 3:32 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaso View Post
Any updates here?
If there are they will be posted; no need to bump all these threads.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 1:26 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

The Real Deal:

Michael Shvo moving ahead with Soho residential tower
High-flier files demolition plans to make room for 290-foot tall building at 100 Varick St.

June 06, 2014 02:10PM
By Hiten Samtani

Quote:
A partnership involving brokers-turned-developers Michael Shvo and Erez Itzhaki filed demolition plans at the Soho development site that could become a new residential tower of up to 280,000 square feet, according to property records filed with the city Thursday.

Shvo, Itzhaki and their equity partners, Halpern Real Estate Ventures, Bizzi & Partners and Aronov Development bought a 20,000-square-foot assemblage site at 100 Varick Street for $130 million in January. The site is located on the western end of the blockfront bounded by Watt, Broome and Varick streets. The joint venture filed plans with the city’s Department of Buildings yesterday to demolish three, three-story buildings that currently occupy 60, 62 and 64 Watts Street.

[...]

NEW YORK | 100 Varick St | FT | FLOORS

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Highrise & Supertall Proposals