HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 12:26 PM
Still optimistic

Smile What is your weather today? (II)

Feel free to discuss the Weather - Canada's real favourite pastime - for another 10 000 posts.

So Ottawa's due for 2cm of snow tomorrow!

Our first real accumulation of the year!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 3:31 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
As long as I have been alive and that I can remember, Winnipeg doesn't usually see any significant snows until after Haloween. In the last decade, the first real snowfall has usually occured in late November, early December. The norm for snowfall in this city is changing, resulting in later snowfall and earlier spring melts.
You haven't been alive very long then. For most of my life, I'd say snow in Winnipeg has been a 50/50 proposition on Halloween. It used to be an annual discussion when figuring out costumes - we always had to plan taking snow into account, and some years wear the snowsuit, some not. And as a person having a birthday in very late November, I can tell you how many years I experienced in my life with zero snow before my birthday - exactly one.

Now, we may be having differences of opinion on what "real snow" constitutes. I've seen 1ajs's pictures and to some, that isn't really snow.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
You haven't been alive very long then. For most of my life, I'd say snow in Winnipeg has been a 50/50 proposition on Halloween. It used to be an annual discussion when figuring out costumes - we always had to plan taking snow into account, and some years wear the snowsuit, some not. And as a person having a birthday in very late November, I can tell you how many years I experienced in my life with zero snow before my birthday - exactly one.

Now, we may be having differences of opinion on what "real snow" constitutes. I've seen 1ajs's pictures and to some, that isn't really snow.
Yes, some years have had snow (I would say maybe a third), but I am relatively close to your age based on some of your posts I've read that help reveal your approximate age, and yes most years we didn't have a permanent snowpack by the time Haloween came. As I stated before, a "skiff" of snow isn't really a significant "snowfall" in my opinion. Only a couple of times have I ever had to wear a snowsuite trick or treating. Most years I was fine with a jacket underneath, as many years it was indeed cold enough on Halloween (but no snow yet) and some years were warm enough that I didn't need a jacket. A few years I even wore shorts as the temps was over 15 (three times to be exact) and a few times had to wear a rain jacket. Halloween weather is very variable in Winnipeg, as it is across the rest of the prairies, you can expect anything at anytime.

Last edited by RTD; Oct 30, 2010 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 3:44 PM

Nothing pisses me off more than snow on Halloween... which rarely happens even in Calgary, but does occasionally!

How the hell is Michael Myers supposed to lurk through backyards in a snow drift?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phusion View Post
I'm sorry but I could never live in the prairies. Having a nice warm september is great... but it doesn't make up for a crappy June/July/August. I need my lazy, relaxing summer days.
huh?!?

oh, you mean while you play with your toys in your sandbox?

Yes, hopefully someday the prairies will get "lazy, relaxing summer days" too... wow!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 7:46 PM
y u no take me srsly

7 and sunny. The dewpoint is -11.5! Strong winds from the north, 22 with gusts in the mid 30s.

Hallowe'en is going to be cold and clear this year. No snow in the forecast. We got some very light snow blowing in the wind on Thursday at lunchtime but no accumulation yet.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 9:42 PM

A nice mild 14 today, these are the fall days I love, a slight wind, many leaves falling off the trees that have turned already, sunny breaks between very interesting cloud cover...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 10:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I miss the old thread!

I was at the AUS football game today in Sackville NB. MTA defeated St FX 33-12. Anyway, it was a breezy 3 deg C and there was a brief snow shower at the end of the fourth quarter.

This seems kinda early for this crap!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 10:33 PM

It was 16 degrees 9:30 this morning in St. John's but it went down to 12 by mid afternon. It was windy today though and pretty cloudy it's currently 7 degrees.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but I could never live in the prairies. Having a nice warm september is great... but it doesn't make up for a crappy June/July/August. I need my lazy, relaxing summer days.
Have you ever been to the prairies? aside from the foothills, the prairies probably have one of the best summers in Canada. When I lived in Medicine hat it was 30 or above pretty much all the time from late June to early September, and it hit 40 a couple times. This summer basically didn't happen, but you can't judge an entire region off one abnormal summer.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 11:30 PM

Freezing drizzle in higher spots in Halifax this afternoon. Cold rain randomly came down elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 11:52 PM

Snow rain mix and 3c in Montreal right now.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 12:14 AM
Majestic

In the valley it was a windy day and partly cloudy day. I saw a hint of snow in there, but nothing substantial enough to leave a trace.

One of my roommates complained about snow in October. I laughed.

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 12:34 AM

Snowing in Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 1:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
In the valley it was a windy day and partly cloudy day. I saw a hint of snow in there, but nothing substantial enough to leave a trace.

One of my roommates complained about snow in October. I laughed.
That would be really unusual along the Atlantic coast but might be a bit more common in the Valley. It's interesting how much colder the average low in, say, Greenwood is compared to the coast - around 5-6 in coastal locations and around 2 in the Valley.

In the springtime however it warms up much faster in the Annapolis Valley.

It is interesting to compare an inland station (Greenwood) with a more maritime station (Charlesville). Both have roughly the same average temperature but a different distribution.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Have you ever been to the prairies? aside from the foothills, the prairies probably have one of the best summers in Canada. When I lived in Medicine hat it was 30 or above pretty much all the time from late June to early September, and it hit 40 a couple times. This summer basically didn't happen, but you can't judge an entire region off one abnormal summer.
Yeah, not to mention Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina and Winnipeg are the top 5 sunniest cities in Canada.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 6:11 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Pure sun today. Even though the high didn't make it much past 10 or so, it was so sunny that I've had to turn my furnace completely off. My house was pushing 24 by the end of the day even at that.

And we're still forecasting 19 for Wednesday. In November. It just keeps being awesome in Calgary.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 4:33 PM
y u no take me srsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
it was so sunny that I've had to turn my furnace completely off. My house was pushing 24 by the end of the day even at that.
I love how in the winter it will be -25 outside but if you touch the window frame it is 60.

Currently it is 2, or 35 if I stick my hand in the sunlight by the window.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 8:53 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Its pretty much like that every year. Alberta gets more rain and lightning than sun in the summer

No seriously, have you ever BEEN to the prairies???

This summer was considered one of the "worst" (ie: too much rain) by most people here, because we had rain every 3-5 days.

Hint: we're known as a semi-arid climate for a reason. Secondary hint: "arid" means the opposite of rain.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2010, 9:27 PM

7 degrees and mostly sunny in St. John's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada