HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 9:26 PM
Dense City

28C!. Next couple days 30+!

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 9:53 PM
Stuffum'n'Cuffum

Toronto is a city you have to be very careful of weather forcast once you get in April and May. I went outside Tuesday thinking the high would be between 14 to 16. So I wore a light leather jacket, but come evening, when you think it should be getting colder the humidity makes it feel like 30 degrees. Its so wierd, there were a couple of days like that this week. Now its just plain warm humidity or no humidity, shorts, t shirts and flip flop weather everyday.

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 11:14 PM
Community Guy

Ridiculously perfect all day.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 11:35 PM
Stuffum'n'Cuffum

so far, the only difference is now the weather is getting warmer as we get deeper into summer.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:20 AM
All I do is score goals!

21C and sunny today! The 14C low this morning was great. Slowly transitioning from spring to summer.

The Canadian warmspot was Aschroft, BC at 31.2C. Nice try but not enough for the record... maybe tomorrow?
Chicago: Part 2
Naperville, IL: Part 3

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 5:36 PM

18.6C and sunny with a mix of cloud in the Clarenville N.L area

EDIT it actually turned out to be 20.7C

Last edited by codyLawrenceDylan14; May 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 7:47 PM

Beautiful the last few days in Calgary, and will be up to Thursday....which is when I head out to Nelson. Unfortunately the weather there will have cooled down from the 30C + temps right now, but will still be decent.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 9:46 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Was up to 25°C yesterday here in Edmonton. Today's cooler, only about 17°C, but it's still sunny w/hazy high clouds.

I'm leaving for Ottawa tomorrow and will be there for about 6 days. The weather forecast's looking not bad at all for Ottawa, save for a couple of cool days.

Last time I was in Ottawa was ten years ago in mid to late May, and the weather was so horribly cold and cloudy that tulips weren't blooming in time for the Tulip Festival. In fact, it actually snowed in Ottawa at one point while I was there, but left nothing on the ground. That was the kind of weather I'd had expected for May in Calgary or Edmonton, but not Ottawa! (note that Ottawa is about as far north as Portland, OR, and southern Montana or just above 45°N).

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 10:30 PM

Another amazing day in Vancouver! It has indeed been a great stretch of weather over the last week and a half (only one cloudy day in that stretch at my place in south Van, and that day was still mild).

The last 5 days though have been straight out of summer, clear blue skies and warm temperatures.

Again, I hate that YVR is our national reporting station, it has yet to go over 20, yet Pitt Meadows and Abbotsford have been 25+ the last 3 days. Reaching up to 28 today. Even White Rock, which is also on the ocean front, was 22 yesterday and 23 so far today.

Despite this, YVR is again only 18. I only live 2km away from YVR, and yet that little difference creates a 7 degree jump in temperature today and yesterday (both days only 18 at YVR, and 25 at my house via my thermometer, and yes, it is in the shade at proper distance above the ground.)

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 10:38 PM

28 in the Peg today with humidity at a very low 18%.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 11:06 PM
All I do is score goals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
Was up to 25°C yesterday here in Edmonton. Today's cooler, only about 17°C, but it's still sunny w/hazy high clouds.

I'm leaving for Ottawa tomorrow and will be there for about 6 days. The weather forecast's looking not bad at all for Ottawa, save for a couple of cool days.

Last time I was in Ottawa was ten years ago in mid to late May, and the weather was so horribly cold and cloudy that tulips weren't blooming in time for the Tulip Festival. In fact, it actually snowed in Ottawa at one point while I was there, but left nothing on the ground. That was the kind of weather I'd had expected for May in Calgary or Edmonton, but not Ottawa! (note that Ottawa is about as far north as Portland, OR, and southern Montana or just above 45°N).
Wow, you weren't lucky... since 2000, Ottawa has had only 5 "trace of snow" days: May 14, 2002, May 3, 2004, May 4, 2004, May 8, 2010, May 9, 2010.

May 2002 is the coldest May on record in the last 15 years in Ottawa... so yeah, you really got lucky.

And you have to go back to 1996 to see "measurable" snowfall in May in the nation's capital.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 12:02 AM
Dense City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Beautiful the last few days in Calgary, and will be up to Thursday....which is when I head out to Nelson. Unfortunately the weather there will have cooled down from the 30C + temps right now, but will still be decent.
Its 31C here today (awesome) but only showing 24C for Nelson right now. Even tho its only a half hours drive from here. Its usually only a couple degrees cooler there than here.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:55 AM

The record is broken!!!

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:25 AM
All I do is score goals!

24C with a humidex of 25C and sunny today!

The Canadian warmspot was Lytton, BC at 33.0C. About time someone breaks the 2012 record! It only took 28 days.

Lytton was the 57th warmest weather stations in North and Central America.

BTW-The highest I've seen a Canadian station is during the freak heat wave of May 2010. On the 26th, Huntingdon was the 8th warmest weather station in North and Central America and only 1 US station (in Connecticut) was warmer.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynex...a=00&Send=send

I have yet to see a Canadian station in the top 100 of the warmest spots for the day on Earth though.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 2:28 PM

That's so weird about Huntingdon. I wonder why it's so warm in that area? Are the American stations reporting similar temps? The wilds of upstate NY seem like a very unlikely spot for hot weather.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:09 PM

It was supposed to be 30C today but they've downgraded the forecast to 27C. Still a nice day all in all.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
That's so weird about Huntingdon. I wonder why it's so warm in that area? Are the American stations reporting similar temps? The wilds of upstate NY seem like a very unlikely spot for hot weather.
The influence of Lake Champlain is strong there. The lake is located in a north-south valley which is acting like a corridor for the warm air and humidity coming from the south. This is why the areas near lake Champlain like Huntingdon, Frelighsburg or Phillipsburg are the warmest in Quebec year-round. They are warmer than Montreal. Burlington and Plattsburgh probably experience similar weather as it is limited to the areas surrounding the lake.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:28 PM

I think the ozone is fucked over Calgary! I got way more burnt on Sunday's 25C day than a week of 30's and 40's in Phoenix a few weeks ago.

Either or I love it... more heat please!

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 5:03 PM

Another beautiful day here, 25c at 1pm

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
The influence of Lake Champlain is strong there. The lake is located in a north-south valley which is acting like a corridor for the warm air and humidity coming from the south. This is why the areas near lake Champlain like Huntingdon, Frelighsburg or Phillipsburg are the warmest in Quebec year-round. They are warmer than Montreal. Burlington and Plattsburgh probably experience similar weather as it is limited to the areas surrounding the lake.
That's similar to us here in Windsor, we're a peninsula surrounded on 3 sides by water, so the humidity and heat levels are usually higher here than the surrounding areas. We're often warmer at night that some places in southern Ohio because of this effect.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada