HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:27 PM
Here and There

anyway...... lol. I hope all of Canada is having a good fall. I like the weather here.... there, I said it! lol

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phusion View Post
Oh wow. Comparing Calgary's weather to San Diego's. Now I've heard everything. I didn't know San Diego got hail in August? And 3 degree mornings in July. And a lot of rain....
Can someone ban this idiot already? I haven't seen one post that contributes anything meaningful.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Lack of wind ? what city do you live in again ?

The wind down there used to piss me off to no end, that and the dryness.

It's dry up here, but not as windy.
Yeah, Calgary can be windy as hell sometimes, especially in the winter.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Lack of wind ? what city do you live in again ?

The wind down there used to piss me off to no end, that and the dryness.

It's dry up here, but not as windy.
Calgary is a very weird city when it comes to wind. Some people find it very windy, some find it very calm. And unlike most weather opinions, this one doesn't seem to correlate highly to previous residence or anything.

Even myself, I can never decide if this place feels more or less windy than other places I've been. Overall it "feels" like a windy place to me but it seems like a lot of times when I look at weather conditions elsewhere, Calgary is relatively calm. Maybe it's more tolerable because it's a "dry wind".

Seriously though, it would be interesting to see "average wind speed" compared between Canadian cities. Because I honestly have no clue if Calgary really is windy or not. I go through years-long phases where my opinion completely changes - and regardless of how chaotic the weather here is, the climate itself is pretty stable and predictable. It's not like we get a record year of wind followed by a record year of calm.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:38 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Yeah, Calgary can be windy as hell sometimes, especially in the winter.
Try winnipeg. There is a constant wind wall there. Compared to the flat prairies, we are calm. I am mostly talking about the inner city I guess.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 6:58 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Well compared to many cities, yes, lack of wind. All you need is a T-shirt in the middle of February on a +15 day. Calgary (inner city) has very calm days. I should know. I actually live here.
Live there for 3 years buddy. Rode my road bike 3 days a week to Bragg Creek and back, and daily around the Glenmore reservoir, I know how windy it gets there. And I lived inner city too... condo on 17th ave.

I know you like your city & all but the rose colored glasses should come off once in a while

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 7:06 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Live there for 3 years buddy. Rode my road bike 3 days a week to Bragg Creek and back, and daily around the Glenmore reservoir, I know how windy it gets there. And I lived inner city too... condo on 17th ave.

I know you like your city & all but the rose colored glasses should come off once in a while
Ok how does one respond to that? Yes, I am a positive guy and I like Calgary. It gets windy here (not denying that) but there are days when it is JUST SO CALM AND WARM in the late fall and over winter. It can be -30 here and sometimes if there is no wind, you dont even need a jacket. I guess I am focusing on the good aspects of life, not the negative ones. I like my rose-coloured glasses quite alot.

It is relatively calm here today and a high temp of 17. Proof in point. Maybe tomorrow it will be windy. who cares.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 7:46 PM

We had a shitty summer, but fall has been great, today is no exception.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 8:07 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
It can be -30 here and sometimes if there is no wind, you dont even need a jacket.
OK, I like it colder than most people and even *I* find that a bit of an exaggeration.

PS: it's 20 in Calgary right now. Official weather claims it's windy, but it's dead calm downtown. And gorgeous!

Edit: 22 now. We have to be the hotspot in Canada for today. Not even Lethbridge is warmer than us.

Last edited by freeweed; Nov 4, 2010 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 9:26 PM

Yeah, it was a terrible September in BC but October and now the first week of November have been very nice.

Anyways, yesterday was a fantastic November day in BC (today is still mild, but it is now clouding over and it is by no means as warm, only around 14 today)

Yesterday:

Abbotsford was 18.1, with a low of 7.2 (with clear skies)

Agassiz was 17.6, but with a low of 11.3 under clear skies!

White Rock was the big winner yesterday, with a high of 20.6 and a low of 7.2, again with clear sunny skies. A very nice November day to spend sea side.

This for me is what makes mild fall weather nice in Vancouver is that the nights, mornings and evenings can also still be relatively mild, with no frost. We had lots of sunny mild days this October, for example, but not a single freeze.

Today, it looks as if Alberta is the big weather winner. Still, any 20+ weather in Canada in November is a real treat.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 9:44 PM
Editor

22C and sunny today in Calgary, and 24C in downtown Calgary. Not too shabby for November

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 9:51 PM

This is awesome! too bad I'm stuck at work still. I can't remember ever feeling 20+ temperatures in November in Calgary. Might have to sit on the patio and have a couple brews after work.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 10:54 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
OK, I like it colder than most people and even *I* find that a bit of an exaggeration.

PS: it's 20 in Calgary right now. Official weather claims it's windy, but it's dead calm downtown. And gorgeous!

Edit: 22 now. We have to be the hotspot in Canada for today. Not even Lethbridge is warmer than us.
lol, whatever....haha. So I exxagerate!

Just got back from a site visit. Wow. Calm and sunny and actually almost hot.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:29 PM
All I do is score goals!

Quote:
Ok how does one respond to that? Yes, I am a positive guy and I like Calgary. It gets windy here (not denying that) but there are days when it is JUST SO CALM AND WARM in the late fall and over winter. It can be -30 here and sometimes if there is no wind, you dont even need a jacket. I guess I am focusing on the good aspects of life, not the negative ones. I like my rose-coloured glasses quite alot.

It is relatively calm here today and a high temp of 17. Proof in point. Maybe tomorrow it will be windy. who cares.
Wind gust at 46km/h is calm???

Wind speed:
Toronto: 14.7km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 23.8, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 7.2

Montreal: 14.3km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 13.5, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 3.3

Ottawa: 12.9km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 7.7, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 1.7

Vancouver: 11.8km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 7, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 1.8

Calgary: 14.8km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 36.9, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 14.7

Edmonton: 12.2km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 8.2, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 1.9

Winnipeg: 16.9km/h, days with wind gust over 52km/h per year: 22, days with wind gust over 63km/h per year: 6

BTW-Buildings stop winds, so that's why it is less windier downtown. Those numbers are from the airports of every city...
Chicago: Part 2
Naperville, IL: Part 3

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:41 PM
All I do is score goals!

Quote:
Weird. I can't conceive of anyone preferring clouds over sun, for anything remotely approaching similar temperatures (3 degrees, really? I can hardly tell the difference). Except maybe vampires.

I guess the sun has a much more pronounced effect here. Or I'm secretly a lizard.
I don't like sun and bitter cold... give me anything milder (let's say 10C and more) and I obviously prefer sun like everybody else.

It has nothing to do with the effects of the sun since we're further south so the sun is stronger(with longer days). The sun is even lower in the sky in Calgary than it is here so enjoy the sun for a few hours because the clear night will cool everything off. A cold and sunny day means morning frost while cold and clouds means milder mornings.

Think about it... the sunnier a place is, the coldest it is during winter (with a few exceptions).

Today it felt a lot milder even though it is cloudy.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:42 PM

A bit better in St. John's today, 5 degrees, 7 in my car, and sunny.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:50 PM
All I do is score goals!

Coldest morning of the season yesterday in Montreal... -1.8C

Meanwhile Ottawa went down to -4.7C

Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Got bored playing with stats. I think my numbers are off by one, but close enough. Here's how many days Calgary hit a certain high, grouped in 5 degree increments, May 1-Oct 31 (184 days total):

High (rounded down): # of days

0: 9
5: 19
10: 33
15: 49
20: 52
25: 23

That's 122 (66%) days where we got to at least 15 degrees, and that's including nearly 2 months of spring and over a month of fall.

Even March and April were damn fine for spring. You really have to go back to January/early February to find actual "cold" weather. Other than a single aberrant -0.5 high, we have not seen a high below freezing since February 22nd. That's over 8 months of above-freezing days, and it just keeps going. We could conceivably make it through much of November on the plus side.

An amazing year for a supposedly cold city. Mind you, it only got above 30 once this year, for all you ectotherms out there.
I'll bite the bait, hehe. I do see what you are saying, but the term "cold" is very relative, and comparing Calgary's weather to San Diego is a huge stretch, a much better comparison with our southern neighbor to Calgary would be Denver. While Denver is much warmer in the summer than Calgary (on average) it experiences similar weather trends, quick drops and rises in temperature, late and early snows / cold snaps, warm down sloping winds breaking apart the winter, and a large diurnal gap in overnight / afternoon temperatures.

Compared to Calgary, Vancouver would be a far better Canadian comparison to San Diego from May 1st to Oct 31st. (Again, even I think this is still a big stretch)

Here is the data for Vancouver in relation to the stats you have for Calgary Above:

High temps

0: 0
5: 1
10: 31
15: 84
20: 54
25: 14

So Vancouver has 152 days above 15 during this stretch, giving 82.6%. Much higher than Calgary. Also, I personally find having 28 days that do not reach 10 degrees between May and October to be very cool (especially when compared to Vancouver's 1).

Then one one compares low temps during this 6 month trend, Vancouver is far more mild than Calgary.

Calgary Lows (again, grouped in 5 degree intervals going up from the temperature shown):

-10: 2
-5: 23
0: 47
5: 72
10: 40
15: 0

Vancouver:

-10: 0
-5: 0
0: 6
5: 46
10: 115
15: 17

So while Vancouver had 0 nights below freezing during this 6 months Calgary had 25 nights below freezing (far more like Denver) and while Vancouver had 132 nights stay above 10, Calgary only had 40 nights do so.

Then, when compared to Kamloops over this period, one would definetely find Calgary "Cool" on average in the summer

Kamloops, Highs

5: 2
10: 19
15: 42
20: 48
25: 35
30: 29
35: 8

That is 88.5% of the days above 15, and 120 days above 20, with 37 of those days above 30.

Now, here are the 3 cities listed above highs, lows, precip & snow averaged throughout that 6 months period for this year:

Calgary, H 17.2, L 5.8, P 354.4mm, Snow 28.2cm

Vancouver, H 18.7, L 11.3, P 412.9mm, Snow 0

Kamloops, H 23.4, L 9.9, P 180.5mm, Snow 0

So for me, personally, I find Kamloops to be the most comfortable city out of those three, it by far has the warmest average high and the lowest precipitation. Both Vancouver and Kamloops recorded no snow during this time, and Vancouver had the warmest low with no frost / freezes.

Hence I would find Vancouver's climate far more like San Diego than Calgary's.

Again, I don't want to dump on Calgary, but please don't compare yourself to San Diego, Denver is far more fitting for a comparison. Also, when one brings up such weather stats I just cant help but compare it with the area I live in, again, we are all weather nuts on this thread!

And, just for fun, here is Abbotsford's highs for this 6 month period, being that it is the closest weather station to where I live.

5: 0
10: 29
15: 61
20: 62
25: 21
30: 10

So that is no days not reaching 10 during this 6 months, and 93 days above 20 with a decent 10 above 30.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 12:13 AM

I just checked the records and Calgary may match their warmest November day ever (which currently stands at 22.8). Lethbridge was 23 today!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 12:20 AM
BANNED

I believe the temperature was 22.0 today only .8 degrees from a tie for the warmest day on November 4th. Nice feeling that heat from the sun I must say.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada