HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: What is your preferred choice of smartcard name for the entire region?
Umbrella Card 47 29.56%
Otter Card 49 30.82%
George Card 13 8.18%
Compass Card 50 31.45%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the plans are on a poster in the station itself - they must be online as well
There are 5 posters up at the Granville station, mostly around the entrances. They had a spokesperson for a few days too.

Nothing about the dunmuir plans.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 4:05 AM

Here are the plans for Granville, Commercial and Royal Oak.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 4:43 AM

Wow. That retail outlet beside the escalators at Granville Station Seymour St entrance is a huge impediment to traffic flow. It should definitely go.

Last edited by allan_kuan; Aug 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 4:54 AM

I think that retail outlet location is the Ethical Bean coffee but I have never seen it opened for business.
BTW, where will the small floral shop go?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2011, 5:51 AM

The wider gate is also used for people with luggage as well as other bigger items (strollers, yes people go down the escalator with them).

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 12:39 AM

BTW - note the Add Fare Machines - which you would use to "top up" your fare card in case you don't have enough on your card to exit.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2011, 4:05 PM

And Fare Card vending machines, where I guess you can purchase a Compass Card.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:33 AM

In 2013, post-secondary school student card will replace U-Pass to be used as Compass Card.
Vending machines will be installed on campus. VCC already got some installed.
I wonder whether they were manufactured by Cubic. I think they can be easily integrated into the new smard card ticketing machine system.
See Image

Nice solution!

Quote:
In the spring of 2013, TransLink expects to launch its Compass smart card system for transit payment and the Compass chip will then be embedded in student cards so they act as transit passes as well.
Source

Last edited by Waders; Aug 19, 2011 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:38 AM

the fare gates for the dunsmuir entrance will be at the bottom of the escalators after the ticket machines level it seems - they have hoarding up there with work going on

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
TransLink, why do you have to cheap out on us in station renovations and upgrades while doing this project? Why...!? (sigh)
"Mom, why can't you buy me a BMW for my 16th birthday?"

Not to be rude, but does this really have to be explained?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 5:17 AM

^ As an aside, my friend went to Prince of Wales secondary and the guy whose locker was beside him was really upset one day and was punching his locker. The guys' friends asked him what the problem was and the guy responded that his parents had only given him the Lexus.

Whole. Different. World.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:25 PM

Alright. Sorry. Perhaps I'm expecting way too much in terms of getting things done right the first time from a weak government agency like TransLink. = (

Last edited by allan_kuan; Aug 19, 2011 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 4:34 PM

I was so happy when I bought my first car in grade 12... an 86 Civic wagon, with rust holes on the hood, that I fixed up myself.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 1:01 AM
Κύριε ἐλέησοv

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
^ As an aside, my friend went to Prince of Wales secondary and the guy whose locker was beside him was really upset one day and was punching his locker. The guys' friends asked him what the problem was and the guy responded that his parents had only given him the Lexus.

Whole. Different. World.
Rich people go to public school? I thought we rich kids went to st. George's...?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeforcewinds View Post
Rich people go to public school? I thought we rich kids went to st. George's...?
Requirements for St.Georges is more than just money I think. Anyway, as a Prince of Wales Alumni, its always been the case that there are ridiculously rich kids in that school, but I think its even more ludicrous lately. (Same deal with some of the neighbour schools like Point Grey and Hamber). I think we're getting a little off topic though.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 2:00 AM
Κύριε ἐλέησοv

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
Requirements for St.Georges is more than just money I think. Anyway, as a Prince of Wales Alumni, its always been the case that there are ridiculously rich kids in that school, but I think its even more ludicrous lately. (Same deal with some of the neighbour schools like Point Grey and Hamber). I think we're getting a little off topic though.
You might be right, I think my parents had to give references and I had to take a test and then have an interview to get accepted at Saints. That in addition to leaving a deposit, obviously

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Alright. Sorry. Perhaps I'm expecting way too much in terms of getting things done right the first time from a weak government agency like TransLink. = (
It's called a BUDGET, or rather the cliche of "MONEY DOESN'T GROW ON TREES".

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 2:53 AM

I'll be nice and keep my mouth shut... I guess...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2011, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
My concern is with Granville Station....

11 Gates...

6 of them will be at Granville Concourse , three entry gates that will be directly infront of the silve doors on the right side of the pillar. The exit gates are the problem... they will be to the left of the pillar between the coffee shop. The first gate a person exiting the escalators will be "oversized" for wheelchairs and luggage. Then only two normal gates after it.

Why would the oversized gate be the first? It makes no sense. I see alot of people using it and people sneaking out in pairs. or something. Anyways I just think its a horrible layout. Why not put the oversized gate at the flowershop end... generally "rushes of people" come at once exiting a station. Not entering it.
I'm willing to wager that the gates will be bi-direction configurable. So even though that pillar is in the way, at the morning rush hour I would think all but 1 gate would be set to leave the station.

The large gate won't be used by wheelchairs as there is no elevator but will be for people with luggage. And as it is the only large gate, it will probably operate in both directions full time, and maybe even be staffed (or next to where the staff will stand).

People sneaking out is also not a problem. As long as they didn't sneak in, it will cost them more to sneak out than tap out, always. For example, if you get on at Commercial and sneak out at Granville, instead of getting charge a 1 zone (or short trip if by KM) you get default charge of 3 zones (or max KM). There is no benefit to sneaking. Even if there is $0 on your card, it will end up locked and there goes your deposit, which is more than the max fare.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 3:25 AM

but loosing the deposit is cheaper then paying the max fare etc or using those one time tickets. Trust me people will cheat and get away with it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure