HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

136 West 42nd Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 1:23 AM
BANNED

Smile NEW YORK | 136 W. 42nd St (Hotel) | FT | 30 FLOORS

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...world_void.php

Checking In
Hilton Hotel Will Try to Fill 42nd Street's Pop-Tarts World Void
Thursday, January 20, 2011, by Sara Polsky

Share0Look, the vacant lot at 136 West 42nd Street (right) is so sad at the departure of neighbor Pop-Tarts World that it's gotten all gray and rainy. Here's something that might cheer it up. We already knew that the Pop-Tarts World spot at 124 West 42nd Street would be replaced by a three-story glass-and-steel building housing food, entertainment, and retail. Now DNAinfo reports that the vacant lot itself is headed for a transformation, into a 30-story hotel. The hotel's future operator isn't talking, but a Cushman & Wakefield exec tells DNAinfo it could become a Hilton. With a remake of the nearby Knickerbocker Hotel also planned, that stretch of West 42nd Street (according to another Cushman exec, "the last un-revitalized portion of Times Square," though we thought there weren't any left) will end up with about 750 new hotel rooms. But will any of them have pop-tarts on the room service menu?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 1:28 AM
BANNED

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...n-times-square

Hotels and retail complex coming to former Pop-Tarts site in Times Square
January 20, 2011 03:30PM

136 West 42nd Street (credit: PropertyShark)
Two new hotels and a retail complex are coming to Times Square, between Sixth Avenue and Broadway, the space formerly occupied by Pop-Tarts World and Charmin Restrooms, DNAinfo reported. A new 250- to 300-room hotel is set to open in 2013 in the now-vacant lot at 136 West 42nd Street, worth from $112.5 to $135 million, according to DiamondRock Hospitality Company, which announced the deal. Highgate Holdings, which is expected to operate the hotel, declined to comment on its plans for the property, but C. Bradley Mendelson, executive vice president at Cushman & Wakefield, which has been in negotiations over retail space there, said the property will likely rise 30 stories and could become a Hilton. The space next door at 1466 Broadway, also owned by Highgate and formerly the Knickerbocker Hotel, is set to be converted from office space back into an upscale, boutique hotel, As part of the renovation, the hotel's main entrance will be moved to West 42nd Street. In addition to the hotels, a retail complex is coming to 120-126 West 42nd Street. According to Alan Schmerzler, a senior director at Cushman, the space is set to be reconfigured into a three-story glass and steel building with 22,000 square feet of retail space on the ground floor and about 50,000 square feet of retail space on concourse levels. [DNAinfo]

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 4:18 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I hope whatever the design is, it doesn't cover up the brickwork on the party wall of the Bush Tower. I'm not encouraged though. A 30 story hotel- that sounds exactly like a McSam.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 5:29 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dnainfo.com/20110120/midt...transformation
New Hotel Latest Step in Times Square Transformation

January 20, 2011
By Jill Colvin

Quote:
One of the last undeveloped stretches of Times Square is about to be transformed by two new hotels and a 50,000 square-foot retail complex.

Today, the south side of West 42nd Street between Sixth Avenue and Broadway stands mostly vacant, despite being sandwiched between the bustle of Times Square and the draw of Bryant Park's greenery. The storefronts once occupied by Pop-Tarts World and Charmin Restrooms now stand empty, while a vacant lot is boarded off by yellow gates next door.

But that's all about to change.

The heart of the transformation will be a new 250 to 300-room hotel set to open in 2013 in the now-vacant lot at 136 W. 42nd St. DiamondRock Hospitality Company announced the deal, worth from $112.5 to $135 million, in a statement Tuesday.

Lynne Messina, in-house counsel for Highgate Holdings, which is expected to operate the hotel, declined to comment on plans for the property or which hotel brand was slated for the space.

But C. Bradley Mendelson, executive vice president at Cushman & Wakefield, which has been in negotiations over retail space on three of the new hotel's floors, said the property will likely rise 30 stories and could become a Hilton hotel.

Meanwhile, right next door, the former Knickerbocker Hotel at 1466 Broadway, also owned by Highgate, is set to be converted from office space back into an upscale, boutique hotel.

As part of the renovation, the hotel's main entrance will be moved to West 42nd Street, with new retail space set to open on the ground floor when the lobby is moved, Alan Schmerzler, a senior director at Cushman said.

Between the Knickerbocker and new development, the stretch is expected to house 750 new hotel rooms, he said.

Schmerzler said the new developments are nothing short of "800 feet of urban redevelopment."

"It is a tremendous transformation of the block," he said. "It will be a very beneficial update to what is currently the last un-revitalized portion of Times Square."

In addition to the hotels, a new retail complex is also coming to the stretch at 120-126 W. 42nd St., Schmerzler said. The space is set to be reconfigured into a new, three-story glass and steel building with 22,000 square feet of retail space on the ground floor and about 50,000 square feet of retail space on concourse levels, he said.

Capping off the projects is a new public plaza that recently opened just east of the soon-to-be-built retail development, said Shapher Williams, who works at Equity Office, which owns the space.

Last year, the block celebrated the opening of the 55-story One Bryant Park tower, Bank of America's new New York City headquarters. The 48-story Condé Nast building on Broadway between West 42nd and West 43rd streets opened its doors in 2000.
http://www.dnainfo.com/20110120/midt...ow/popup/54139

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 11:52 AM
BROOKLYN

Great news.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 3:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
I hope whatever the design is, it doesn't cover up the brickwork on the party wall of the Bush Tower. I'm not encouraged though. A 30 story hotel- that sounds exactly like a McSam.
I don't think that this will be a McSam. They're generally built on dark, dingy cross-streets. This is a prime spot that can attract high-paying corporate travelers from BofA and Skadden right cross the sreet, let alone many other prestigious firms nearby.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 9:01 PM

It's about time they do something with that site already. How long has it sat empty for by now? I think something like seven years.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2011, 11:28 AM

If built, would this one have an impact on the skyline? I suppose it will go under in the urban jungle.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 9:45 AM

What's going on with the hotel plans here?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2011, 12:08 PM
BANNED

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...C5prgYut9F3fSL

New life at 42nd & Sixth
August 23, 2011

Steve Cuozzo
REALTY CHECK

There are signs of life at last for long-aborning plans to burnish the hit-and-miss south blockfront of West 42nd Street between Sixth Avenue and Broadway.

Blackstone, which owns the office tower at 1095 Sixth Ave., has finally filed demolition plans for 124 W. 42nd, the vacant five-story building it also owns.

Taking down the eyesore will make way for the retail glass box we first previewed in these pages early last year, parallel to the new public plaza between 1095 Sixth and the empty structure.

Meanwhile, two doors west, Highgate Holdings has begun test borings at the vacant lot that will become a new hotel adjacent to the landmark 1466 Broadway, the former Knickerbocker Hotel, which will be converted back to a hotel after years as a Class-B office address.

Highgate has a contract to sell the new hotel at 136 W. 42nd -- which will have between 250 and 400 rooms, depending on acquiring certain development rights and permissions -- to Diamond Rock Hospitality.

Although an earthmover was pounding away at the site yesterday, Highgate has yet to file plans for the new building. The company’s New York manager, Vijay Raina, said, “The building is still being designed, and we do not have a start date yet.”

According to Diamond Rock’s latest 10Q filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, it’s in contract to buy the new hotel from Highgate when it’s completed. The project is to contain at least 285 guest rooms, for which Diamond Rock would pay $128 million -- but the number could rise to 400 rooms, in which case the purchase price would swell to $178 million.

Cushman & Wakefield’s Bradley Mendelson is handling retail leasing at 1095 Sixth as well as in the new glass structure to replace 124 W. 42nd and also in the new hotel.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...#ixzz1VqxIwsJB

Last edited by RobertWalpole; Aug 23, 2011 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 4:25 AM

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 1:33 PM
BANNED

This has the potential to be a disaster.

Peter is the first poon I've encountered that I don't like.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 1:40 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This has the potential to be a disaster.

Peter is the first poon I've encountered that I don't like.
Why do you say that?

I mean I'm skeptical of any of this "architecture" that tries to go up in Times Square, but from the render this tower seems like it could be rather passable.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 10:09 PM
BANNED

That rendering was by a prior architect. Poon vies with Kaufman for the lowest quailty work in NY.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 7:29 PM

Rendering:

http://www.yimbynews.com/2012/09/new...nd-street.html

Also this should be moved to the construction forum!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 8:56 PM
Come As You Are

...What's a McSam???

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
Rendering:

http://www.yimbynews.com/2012/09/new...nd-street.html

Also this should be moved to the construction forum!
I'm always suspicious when the only rendering we have is one at night, the massing reminds me of the Hyatt going up on 45th. Anyway, another POS budget hotel built between two NY beauties, what a shame.

WNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
...What's a McSam???
It's a hotel development company, McSam Hotel, and they are known for doing outrageously ugly work.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 10:38 PM

It's a shame a building so simple and lifeless alongside two works of art.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 12:59 AM
Come As You Are

Simple does not always mean lifeless.

I like this design, to be honest. Just not the blank wall. Same issue with the Hyatt.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2012, 3:06 PM

I like it a bit of new betwen the old

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive