HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 9:35 PM

Smile NEW YORK | 101 West 28th St | 296 FT | 28 FLOORS

Quote:
Site of Arrested Development Remy Finally Snapped Up
Monday, March 7, 2011, by Sara Polsky

Remember Remy? Even before the economy took a nosedive, the Costas Kondylis-designed cantilevered tower at the corner of Sixth Avenue and 28th Street was stalled for so long the Department of Buildings ordered the foundation filled in to avoid a collapse. You do hate to see that. We assumed Remy had breathed its last, but some much-delayed CPR appears to be on the way. Crain's reports that Lexin Capital has picked up the defaulted loan on the site and is in the midst of foreclosure proceedings. A Lexin exec tells Crain's the company doesn't yet have a plan for the site, so maybe Remy's still got a shot. Look alive!
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...snapped_up.php

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 9:39 PM
BROOKLYN

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 9:41 PM

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 9:18 AM

So, can we say that the old proposal may come back to 28th & 6th even after it has changed hands?

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:05 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

The last permits filed were in 2009, after the site was backfilled curiously enough.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...allbin=1813436

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 6:30 PM

I thought this was now planned to be a hotel, or a hotel/residential tower.

I know there's new ownership, and I assume a new plan.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 12:01 AM

28-Story Hotel/Apartment Combo To Rise on Stalled Remy Site
Monday, January 14, 2013, by Jessica Dailey

"...New York YIMBY reports that new building permits have been filed, calling for a 28-story hotel/apartment building combo designed by architect Nobutaka Ashihara. No designs have been released, but DOB filings show that it will have 152 units and rise 296 feet. Construction photos and design deets are welcome on the tipline."

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 4:25 PM

I took this pic of the rendering that was posted on the site last night. I think it looks nice considering what we've been getting in this area. I'm surprised Nobutaka Ashihara is the architect since he's usually bad.

DOB filing shows that there will be a cantilever above the walkup to the north.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2013, 9:17 PM

Not so bad. 1095 6th offspring.

Copyright Cesar Serrano/emporis.com

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 8:16 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 101 West 28th St | 296 FT | 28 FLOORS

New York YIMBY:

Revealed: 101 West 28th Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON NOVEMBER 19TH 2013 AT 6:30 AM

Quote:

Along with the new images of the project, equipment has also appeared on-site, and workers confirmed that construction is now a go. The development will stand 296 feet tall and be a mix of hotel and residential, with a total of 152 units.

Completion of the project is expected in the summer of 2015.

DoB File: PERMIT ISSUED - ENTIRE JOB/WORK 11/15/2013
Building Height (ft.) 296
Building Stories: 28
Dwelling Units: 156

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Nov 19, 2013 at 9:32 PM. Reason: Edit..

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 7:46 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 105 West 28th St | 309 FT | 30 FLOORS

This one is directly next to 101 and is similar in height. I figured it would make sense to just follow these sites together.

New York YIMBY:

Permits Filed: 105 West 28th Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON JANUARY 29TH 2014 AT 6:00 AM

Quote:
Permits have been filed for a new building at 105 West 28th Street. The existing low-rise will soon be demolished for a 30-story and 364-room hotel designed by Nobutaka Ashihara. The developer is listed as Phyllis M. Jacobson.

Nobutaka Ashihara is also responsible for the development rising next door, at 101 West 28th Street, as well as the Hotel Indigo, at 127 West 28th Street. No renderings have been posted for the new tower, but the buildings will be of a similar size — though 105 West 28th Street will be two floors larger, standing 309 feet in total.

No completion date has been announced, as demolition has not yet begun — though with permits entering the review process, progress is likely imminent.

105 West 28th Street

101 West 28th Street, just to the east of 105 West 28th

105 West 28th Street, block’s other new hotels in background

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 9:43 PM

Phyllis M. Jacobson is mysterious. I spent forever researching who she/he was, and it traces back to an address in suburban Cleveland and a company dubbed PMJ Realty.

So it seems that she actually might be a legitimate developer who just happens to live in suburban Ohio & be nearly completely invisible on Google. Though a front is more likely, I am quite perplexed.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 3:20 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Curbed NY:

Air Rights Scuffle Thwarts Lightstone's Chelsea Hotel Plans
Friday, June 6, 2014, by Curbed Staff

[Rendering of 105-109 West 28th Street, which in the model is the lighter building. All renderings
photographed by Evan Bindelglass.]

Quote:
There is a proposal to build a new hotel in Chelsea. It would be on West 28th Street between Sixth and Seventh avenues. But it's not the still-unbuilt Hyatt House on the corner, which has been in the works in one form or another since at least 2006. Rather, Lightstone Group wants to build another hotel just to that site's west, at 105-109 West 28th Street. On hand to present the 25- to 30-story hotel project to Manhattan Community Board 5's Land Use, Housing, & Zoning Committee earlier this week were developer Lightstone's Sanford Blumenthal and Scott Avram. But the principal presenter was their land use attorney, Howard Goldman of GoldmanHarris LLC.

Follow the bouncing ball: Lightstone wants to build a 25- to 30-story hotel. There is an existing structure on those lots, but it has what was described as "dilapidated" retail space and a handful of residential tenants —one of which has already been bought out and four more who are in the process of being bought out. The site is zoned accordingly. So, once the buyouts and demolition are completed, a hotel could be built on the site. The question is: how tall can it rise?

To achieve that height, they want to buy the unused air rights of four other sites on the block —111-113 West 28th Street, 114 West 29th Street, 116-118 West 29th Street, and 120 West 29th Street. With those air rights, the hotel could total 110,000 square feet. Without them, it would only have 63,500 square feet. In order for Lightstone to acquire and use all of those air rights, they need to be combined into one contiguous lot of air rights. Four applications were filed with the New York City Board of Standards and Appeals (BSA) in April to allow the sale and merging of the air rights from those lots.

But in 1979 and 2003, respectively, the BSA assigned no value to those air rights which would now seem quite valuable—after all, someone does want to use them for a a presumably a profit-making hotel. So, the big controversy, in the eyes of the community board members, was whether the air rights should be valued again before any transfer or sale occurs. The committee also wanted to know what kind of jobs would be created by the project and how it would benefit the neighborhood.

As for the public's reaction, it was mixed. There was one resident of 111-113 West 28th Street who expressed a lot of angry NIMBY views and came out against the bigger hotel. But another speaker seemed to like the addition of hotels to the neighborhood, noting that it's easier for him to get a cab now.

So Goldman promised to make sure the BSA does not hold a public hearing on the air rights matter before the project appears before the next meeting of CB5's Land Use Committee, which is set for Wednesday, July 2. A hearing would be the next step in the process, and CB5 members don't want it to go forward until they have time for analysis and another meeting of their own.

NEW YORK | 101-109 West 28th St | 309 + 296 FT | 30 + 28 FLOORS

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 7:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 7:51 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This should be moved.... Photo above shows that its u/c lol.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 2:21 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

From February:

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Jun 29, 2015, 8:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 6:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

32-Story Hyatt House At 101 West 28th Street Is Topped Out And Nearing Exterior Completion

Quote:
101 West 28th Street, a Hyatt House hotel with 150 guestrooms and apartment style suites, is topped out and nearing exterior completion. The slender tower, designed by Nobutaka Ashihara and developed by Lexin Capital, rises at the northwest corner of 6th Avenue and West 28th Street to around 300 feet in height, with 30 main tower floors plus three more levels at the top.

While the project is not a spectacular piece of architecture by any standard, it stands as a fascinating study of its context, a transitional element between the varying conditions that surround it on all sides. Its evolution reflects the tug of war between the residential and hotel typologies, which have been competing for local land for the past fifteen years. Its size and massing balances the varying building scales in the immediate surroundings. Its shape expresses the complex air rights exchanges that are still ongoing on the block. Its design is a notch above typical budget hotel architecture, yet does not measure up to its larger highrise counterparts directly to the north, let alone any distinguishable projects rising elsewhere in the city.
=====================
VITALI OGORODNIKOV

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 8:25 PM

Looks like it got a little taller, and the design changed a bit (thank God).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:22 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Views from the top floor:

Credit: https://twitter.com/hashtag/hyatthouse

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive