HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 8:53 PM

Thrifty Foods to anchor Courtenay development

Thrifty Foods to anchor Courtenay development

BY DARRON KLOSTER, TIMES COLONIST MARCH 18, 2011

Thrifty Foods will spearhead a major commercial development on a fivehectare parcel in east Courtenay, the grocery chain announced Thursday.

The retail complex will be anchored by Thrifty Foods and likely another national retailer along with several other class A commercial tenants. A company spokesperson said no contracts have yet been signed with retail partners and the search is ongoing.

Thrifty bought the wooded parcel at Ryan and Lerwick roads from Crown Isle Resort in December 2009. It is a major growth area with a proposed hospital and North Island College nearby, and across the road from one of the province's biggest Home Depot stores.

Thrifty Foods said the retail centre is expected to be complete in 2012 provided all of the necessary approvals are granted and work proceeds on schedule.

It will be the second store in the Comox Valley for Thrifty Foods and the 29th in the chain. It is also the third slated for opening in the next year after New Westminster and Maple Ridge. The expansion follows openings last year in North Vancouver, Abbotsford and Brooks Landing in Nanaimo.

"The Comox Valley has grown tremendously since Thrifty Foods opened the Courtenay store in 1994," Jim Dores, president of Thrifty Foods, said in a statement. "After researching the area extensively, we recognize the growth potential of this vibrant community and we are ready to begin construction on a brand new retail centre in the Comox Valley."

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/busines...#ixzz1HMcnPpzj

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 1:20 AM
I'm cheap

Also in the area that it's proposed, at Costco is opening up pretty soon.

Thrifty Foods has been wanting to open a second location in the Valley either in Comox or at the Driftwood Mall in Courtenay where Save-On-Foods used to be which now is a Quality Foods.

I miss Courtenay. Such a great town. My parents live about 20 minutes north of the city.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 6:18 AM

i lived their a bit in 1990 i liked it - i miss the pace sometimes haven't been back since 1991 when we moved out

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 3:16 AM

I've been away from the Comox Valley for almost five years now. It's impressive to see the growth that's recently occurred. Would love to move back if there was work.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnaden View Post
I've been away from the Comox Valley for almost five years now. It's impressive to see the growth that's recently occurred. Would love to move back if there was work.
I'm in the same boat. Moved away after highschool in 2007 to join military. Miss the place to bits.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia