HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:59 PM

They should put a local grocery store in 2 or 3 of the bays in the bottom similar to the ICA in Stockholm Sweden...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
And 612 Main Street...
According to its website http://www.612mainstreet.com/features it's over 65% leased. Looks like the floor plans show the top floors are leased (I'd imagine by Kindrachuk Agrey Architects), and a space on the first floor is leased as well. Hopefully shovels get in the ground soon!

Last edited by skSK; Mar 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:24 PM

Does anyone know the status of the proposed Hampton Hotel on Stonebridge next to the new Sheraton Four Points? Is it under construction?

Last edited by Stormer; Mar 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Does anyone know the status of the proposed Hampton Hotel on Stonebridge next to the new Sheraton Four Points? Is it under construction?
Well a Google search says that its current address is 103 Stonebridge Boulevard, but that's the address of Four Points by Sheraton... and then on a map it shows it as being next to the DQ at the intersection with Wellman Lane... and then the Enterprise Saskatchewan document says that it was supposed to have started in 2011 and finish this year... confusing?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:26 AM

Willowgrove's community association says that a community consultation will take place on April 13th to discuss the new public school planned for the neighbourhood. At this time, people can hear about the planning of the new school, see up-to-date architectural plans, and provide input on a name and future programming for the school.

Wednesday, April 13th
7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Learning Resource Centre
Centennial Collegiate
160 Nelson Road

http://wuhca.ca/wp-content/uploads/2...blicschool.pdf

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:33 AM

Speaking of schools, here's an article saying that 11 new schools will be needed by the two divisions in Saskatoon within 5 years.

Saskatoon area needs 11 new schools in five years

By Janet French, The StarPhoenix March 28, 2012

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...#ixzz1qTtn3uh3

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:49 PM

Quote:
The projected cost of these 11 schools is nearly $200 million — in today’s dollars.
So ~ 18mil per school...this doesn't sound too bad, does it? I'm not sure how much schools should cost I guess, but in comparison to say the new Police station which has a budget of $122 million on its own it seems like a bargain.

It's also a bargain compared to this school in LA :
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...bert_F_Kennedy

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:14 PM

Blairmore

New Tim Hortons, Dairy Queen, Critteter and others going across from Walmart on Betts Ave. Boston Pizza has also been mentioned.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skSK View Post
Willowgrove's community association says that a community consultation will take place on April 13th to discuss the new public school planned for the neighbourhood. At this time, people can hear about the planning of the new school, see up-to-date architectural plans, and provide input on a name and future programming for the school.

Wednesday, April 13th
7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Learning Resource Centre
Centennial Collegiate
160 Nelson Road

http://wuhca.ca/wp-content/uploads/2...blicschool.pdf
This meeting already took place -- in 2011.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:47 PM

City opposes shopping centre rezoning

By David Hutton, The StarPhoenix March 29, 2012

A $120-million shopping centre proposed for Stonebridge is in the middle of a zoning debate pitting a major developer against city hall.

The commercial development, proposed by North Ridge Development Corp., is in a holding pattern after city administration recommended a zoning change required be denied because it isn't compatible with the neighbourhood plan.

[.......]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...#ixzz1qX5otAkE[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 7:56 PM

18 million sounds about right for a new elementry school. There are two brand new schools being built in regina currently both around the same price of 16.1million. They are Douglas park and arcola school.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
This meeting already took place -- in 2011.
I think that's FAILblog-worthy! I was thinking about the schools planned for Willowgrove and wondering whether there were renderings yet when I stumbled on that...

Has anyone seen renderings for the schools?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 10:46 PM

Saskatoon needs about a billion dollars in the next five years for changes to our infrastructure and new additions to support our population growth.

"Hello, Mr Harper, it's Atch, remember that money you gave us for the bridge? Here's the thing..."

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
18 million sounds about right for a new elementry school. There are two brand new schools being built in regina currently both around the same price of 16.1million. They are Douglas park and arcola school.
I remember seeing a copy of the floor plan, but don't remember where now. The building in Willowgrove is slightly more expensive since the classroom part of the building has to be two stores given the small size of the lot. There is also a centre common area with some multi-purpose rooms that serve as a community centre.

The two schools and a community centre area all sharing the same building is a neat idea.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowest View Post
New Tim Hortons, Dairy Queen, Critteter and others going across from Walmart on Betts Ave. Boston Pizza has also been mentioned.
I read a couple weeks ago that Montana's was looking for an investor(s) for a Blairmore location...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 3:45 AM
Has been

Feel free to paint me the asshole for expressing such, but I find all this excitement over potential new Montanas, Boston Pizzas, Tim Hortons and the lot rather depressing. Is this what it's all about? This is the sum product of being the fastest fastest growing city in the nation?

God help us all.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post
Feel free to paint me the asshole for expressing such, but I find all this excitement over potential new Montanas, Boston Pizzas, Tim Hortons and the lot rather depressing. Is this what it's all about? This is the sum product of being the fastest fastest growing city in the nation?

God help us all.
Totally agree here. I know it's "development", but the same old chains the city has multiples of already in bland and boxy suburban centres is almost worse than nothing at all.

These things go up so fast it doesn't allow for any local enterprise to sprout in the areas.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:26 AM
ARTchitecture

I know this probably gets asked all the time.

but

WHEN THE HELL IS RIVER LANDING STARTING? haha. It will do such wonders for the citys' image!

Fortis et liber
Strong & free

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circle33 View Post

God help us all.
I don't think much, if any, excitement has been expressed about these things. hah.

Also, beggars can't be choosers, and I still like to know what's going where, regardless of what it is.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:55 AM

Target confirms Saskatoon store in The Centre mall

The StarPhoenix March 29, 2012

Target has confirmed The Centre at Circle and Eighth shopping mall will be home to a future Target location.

Target purchased the leasehold interest in The Centre at Circle and Eighth site, which is currently occupied by Zellers. Target plans to open 125 to 135 stores in Canada, the majority of which will open in 2013, the company said in a news release. Approximately $10 million-$11 million will be invested to remodel each facility in order to bring the full Target brand experience to Canadian communities.

Target had previously announced it was opening a store in Lawson Heights. Both locations are scheduled to open in summer 2013. Typically Target stores employ approximately 150-200 people.

The giant U.S. retail corporation operates 1,765 stores across the United States, with the first stores in Canada to open in 2013.

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...#ixzz1qZq2kpeW

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan