HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 11:24 PM
Forget it, Jake...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morogolus View Post
Dayday is expected to announce his intent to run for mayor tomorrow and if he gets elected we can kiss Saskatoon's momentum and pretty much all civic projects good bye. I'm afraid he'll make it close too with the invetiable "fix the potholes" platform he's sure to run on. Which will attract Saskatoon's conservative and senior population. What is this guy like 80 now??

Please I need someone out there that knows a little bit about civic politics to tell me he has no chance.
I don't think he has much chance, but it still makes me uneasy about the kind of debates that Dayday will open up. Atchison's ace in the hole is that Circle Drive South will conveniently open a month prior to the civic election, so he'll be able to play the "Hey, look what I did!" card. Recent surveys still show Atch as a popular mayor.

Former mayor to hold a news conference
It's been widely rumoured Henry Dayday will run for mayor this fall

Reported by News Talk Radio staff
First Posted: Apr 19, 2012 3:36pm | Last Updated: Apr 19, 2012 4:06pm

Quote:
The former mayor of Saskatoon is scheduled to hold a news conference Friday afternoon.

Henry Dayday, who has been openly critical of the present city council’s spending priorities, did not reveal what the news conference will be about, however, it’s been widely rumoured he will run for mayor this fall.

Dayday’s name recently made headlines when he sent city council a letter requesting a plebiscite on whether the Remai Art Gallery on River Landing should proceed.

Dayday was mayor from 1988 to 2000.

The conference will be held at the Sheraton Hotel at noon.
http://newstalk650.com/story/former-...nference/53229

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 11:26 PM
Forget it, Jake...

As foretold by kiwi4life, the crane at the RUH parkade was being put up today!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 4:21 AM

Stonebridge

A sign across from the Co-op grocery store in Stonebridge says Farm Credit Canada is slated to build there. Also, the Dodge City auto mall lot that has been vacant for years now indicates future home of Ens Lexus Toyota.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 4:29 AM

Dayday

The key word in the article above about tommorrows press conference is FORMER . It should probably stay that way. Here comes another C.A.V.E. protest to stop something which could bring the city up in time and class.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 5:34 AM

Winners

I learned yesterday that Winners is opening another Saskatoon store. The new store will be located on the west side (I'm guessing Confederation Mall or Blairmore).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 2:57 PM

Group rethinks support for retail site

Community asks for more information

By Jeremy Warren, The StarPhoenix

April 20, 2012

A zoning battle over a proposed $120-million shopping centre in Stonebridge has residents divided about its benefits for the fast-growing community.

The Stonebridge community association at its Wednesday meeting voted to replace a letter of support it wrote to North Ridge Development Corp. in 2010 with a neutral letter that asks the company for more detailed plans for the type of stores included in the development.

[...............]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...#ixzz1sapr24fX

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
I learned yesterday that Winners is opening another Saskatoon store. The new store will be located on the west side (I'm guessing Confederation Mall or Blairmore).
I seem to recall someone saying that they heard it's going in the mall, which would be good because that mall is sad--even moreso now that Sport Mart is/has closing/closed up shop. Hopefully they have a mall entrance to actually help the mall, unlike Canadian Tire.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Dayday is expected to announce his intent to run for mayor tomorrow and if he gets elected we can kiss Saskatoon's momentum and pretty much all civic projects good bye. I'm afraid he'll make it close too with the invetiable "fix the potholes" platform he's sure to run on. Which will attract Saskatoon's conservative and senior population. What is this guy like 80 now??

Please I need someone out there that knows a little bit about civic politics to tell me he has no chance.
I'm worried about this as well. I *HOPE* that it's a "he has no chance" situation, but you never know how people will be swayed. Atch started off kinda rough (being dubbed Canada's craziest mayor right off the hop has stuck with him a bit), but he's developed into a solid mayor with a good vision for the city.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 5:36 PM

Dayday

I agree, he will run a campaign that panders to the conservative and the seniors of the city. I have nothing against the guy and I think he was a good mayor at a time when the city didn't have much going for it and couldn't afford to spend big money on things like galleries and attractions. When he was mayor the province and the city were not leading the country in growth and jobs, and he did a good job of not over spending and putting money into things we would not get a return on.

Now though, things have changed. We are growing and we can afford to spend some money. He thinks that all the money we are spending on the AGS is bad, but most of the money has been donations and it is something that will draw people to the city and downtown. It will bring our city up to modern times. I will be disappointed if he gets elected, he had his time and now we need someone looking forward not looking backwards to what this city was when they were in power.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 8:16 PM
Registered Geek

Henry Dayday for Mayor... NOT!!

Oh my God, my worst fears have been realized... Dayday is running for Mayor again! I kept telling myself it couldn't be so, but it looks as though he wants to ride the wave of Atch's success instead of having done it for himself when he was in office the first time. This would be a disaster for Saskatoon if he got back into office... two steps forward (with Atch), three steps backward (with Dayday)!!

Apparently, during the last election, Dayday and his wife along with his supporters went to most of the nursing homes, picked up "voters" to ensure they got to the polling stations to cast their votes. By the looks of Dayday in his news conference today he maybe should look at moving in with some of those peeps!! Good Lord!!

Here's hoping the citizens of Saskatoon keep that old guy and his antequated ideas OUT of office!!!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 10:10 PM

Let's be real here, Saskatoon roads are not being serviced under Atch. Growth is great 'n all; however, basic infrastructure upkeep need to be addressed and maintained. Dayday is running because he sees problems down the road. If Dayday is running again, then there must be a damn good reason for him to do so.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Let's be real here, Saskatoon roads are not being serviced under Atch. Growth is great 'n all; however, basic infrastructure upkeep need to be addressed and maintained. Dayday is running because he sees problems down the road. If Dayday is running again, then there must be a damn good reason for him to do so.
Because he can't grasp the fact that he isn't mayor still and that someone with a progressive agenda has been so successful recently.

Please, Dayday is old news and the thought of him winning in October makes me want to pack up my belongings and move to Syberia.

Too much spending? Ha! Is anyone complaining about River Landing and how the walkway looks? I was down there the other day at sunset and boy is it beautiful. The Rivercentre, South Bridge and now North Bridges being considered, Persephone, and the ASG are all good for Stoon. Big city attractions are worth their investments. ESPECIALLY when you have major funding from Remai. Plebiscite? Good grief! What a power grab. "the public will decide." No they wont.

No mayor or council is perfect, but Atch has earned his keep. Dayday can move to Regina as far as Im concerned.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzfan View Post
Because he can't grasp the fact that he isn't mayor still and that someone with a progressive agenda has been so successful recently.

Please, Dayday is old news and the thought of him winning in October makes me want to pack up my belongings and move to Syberia.

Too much spending? Ha! Is anyone complaining about River Landing and how the walkway looks? I was down there the other day at sunset and boy is it beautiful. The Rivercentre, South Bridge and now North Bridges being considered, Persephone, and the ASG are all good for Stoon. Big city attractions are worth their investments. ESPECIALLY when you have major funding from Remai. Plebiscite? Good grief! What a power grab. "the public will decide." No they wont.

No mayor or council is perfect, but Atch has earned his keep. Dayday can move to Regina as far as Im concerned.
That's true, no mayor or city council is perfect alright. These projects are great 'n all; however, if there is no significant budgeting for road repair/sewers etc, ANY community will suffer (long-term). I frequented Saskatoon for many years --- and in the past --- I was always impressed at how well-kept the streets were here. Now, . . . and as a recent migrant to Saskatoon (from Regina), the road conditions here are awful. There is a fall side to rapid development as well. Fiacco - overall - did a great job. Atch did too. But these guys need to go --- or their welcome will be overstayed.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:25 PM

Well I checked out The Star Phoenix and CBC and the comments are encouraging. I thought the SP would be full of people exclaiming their devotion to Dayday but even the Atch hating trolls that post on that site won't vote for Dayday.

His whole platform is going to be based on fixing the roads and stopping the art gallery from being built. The results speak for themselves, Daydays lack of fortsight and cost cutting regarding infrastructure has cost 100s of millions, our population maybe growing by 5000 people in that time? Sask Place built out in the middle of no where. Saskatoon being the joke of Canada for years. Young people leaving in droves, next to no civic improvements, it was an ugly time one of which we are just now recovering from. He lost by 35 points to friggin Jim Maddin. People were desperate to get him out of office.

Atch or any of his opponents should have an easy time destroying him and then some. He's just coming off as a grumpy old man who thinks this is the only way he can stop the art gallery from getting built.

I thought I heard Darren Hill was going to run, I think he would be an awesome mayor.

I would rather live in a city in a cultured progressive city with potholes than a stagnant uncultured concrete jungle with nice roads and seniors night everyday of the week at all the restaurants.

Some poster called Credit Union Centre "Radisson Gardens." teehee

Last edited by Morogolus; Apr 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 11:44 PM
Saskatchewan's Capital

Quote:
I would rather live in a city in a cultured progressive city with potholes than a stagnant uncultured concrete jungle with nice roads and seniors night everyday of the week at all the restaurants.
Absolutely! Couldn't agree more.

I find the amount of money that goes into road repair to be largely a waste of funds.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 12:30 AM

I was too young to fully form an opinion of Henry Dayday while he was still in office (kids called him "dumb dumb" at the time :\), so my current impression of him is based on those Saskatoon Speaks blogs the SP did last year, and my impression is not a good one. He has no interesting ideas, and he is a terrible writer. I can't believe he used to be a principal with his spelling and grammar.

Atch is far from the perfect candidate and he has a lot of weaknesses, but I know who I will be voting for if it's between him and Dayday.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2012, 9:44 PM

[QUOTE
I would rather live in a city in a cultured progressive city with potholes than a stagnant uncultured concrete jungle with nice roads and seniors night everyday of the week at all the restaurants.[/QUOTE]

Me too! Glistening roads and "family restaurants" never really did it for me... give me hole in the wall ethnic restaurants and bike paths any day.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 4:48 AM

New middle years school to open in 2013

BY JANET FRENCH, THE STARPHOENIX APRIL 21, 2012

A sign of relief for Warman students and school staff is gradually rising from the ground in the town's north end.

As Warman elementary and high school students take staggered bathroom breaks, cram into packed computer labs and spend less time in the gyms than they'd like, a new middle school is under construction in the booming town, 18 kilometres northeast of Saskatoon.

The $21.5-million school - a rarity in a province that usually teaches its children in K-8 elementary schools and Grade 9-12 high schools - is scheduled to open in fall 2013. It will comfortably accommodate 700 students and is attached to a new 100,000-square-foot recreation complex called the Legends Centre.

[...............]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/m...#ixzz1sk2duyEP

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 5:25 AM

Kensington

City of Saskatoon approves plan for huge new neighbourhood

From Saskhouses.com

April 18, 2012

The area shaded in yellow on the above map is the new Saskatoon area of Kensington, a neighbourhood which will someday be home to 8,300 people.

City council has approved the neighbourhood plan for Kensington, a new west-side community, and the concept plan for Holmwood a new east-side region that will include up to nine neighbourhoods.

The Kensington plan estimates 8,300 people living in 1,600 single-family homes, 689 townhouse units and 821 apartment units. The split will mean the neighbourhood will have 7.2 units per acre, the highest density neighbourhood developed in decades,.

The Kensington development will bring a population the size of Warman to the area west of Confederation Park and Pacific Heights.

The area will include a village centre with some of the high-density housing surrounding shops, similar to the design of Willowgrove and Hampton Village.

[.........]

Read more:
http://saskhouses.com/News/197/

==================================

From City of Saskatoon website:

http://www.saskatoon.ca/DEPARTMENTS/...ept%20Plan.pdf

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
New middle years school to open in 2013

BY JANET FRENCH, THE STARPHOENIX APRIL 21, 2012

A sign of relief for Warman students and school staff is gradually rising from the ground in the town's north end.

As Warman elementary and high school students take staggered bathroom breaks, cram into packed computer labs and spend less time in the gyms than they'd like, a new middle school is under construction in the booming town, 18 kilometres northeast of Saskatoon.

The $21.5-million school - a rarity in a province that usually teaches its children in K-8 elementary schools and Grade 9-12 high schools - is scheduled to open in fall 2013. It will comfortably accommodate 700 students and is attached to a new 100,000-square-foot recreation complex called the Legends Centre.

[...............]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/m...#ixzz1sk2duyEP
Sounds like just as the new school opens they are going to immediately be back in an over-crowded situation. That said, I think the idea of the school and community centre being in the same building is a good one. As the demographics of the city changes over the years they can shift uses back and forth between the two functions. The two schools for Willowgrove in Saskatoon are also sharing a building with the community centre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan