Originally Posted by s211
Please... this location's one of the least desirable downtown locations. This should be going where the Terrace building is, where you'll at least want to look at the view outside of the expansive windows. Otherwise, it might as well be in downtown Winnipeg; that part of downtown Edmonton is oddly similar.
Yeah, I dont think so. What would your suggestion be to make this area better? Leave it the way it is?
This site fantastic for many reasons:
1. It provides a teminus to 99 Street. Many of the great City's in world, that were actually designed by architects, design the city's corridors to take advantage of signicant and important buildings. There have been many oportunities in Edmonton but the shortsightedness of the designer/architect never picked up on it. The CN tower is as prominent as it is because it is located at the terminus of 100 street, the leg is the terminus of 108th street. The museum is at the terminus of 99 street which is the main "arts" corridor in the City;
2 Context - It makes sense to have it close to other cultural institutions. I dont know what else to say about that???
3. Transition between downtown and chinatown
4. Access to LRT and Transit;
5. Connectivity - there could be a unique pedestrian corridor along 99 street connecting all of the cultural institutions;
6. This area needs it? Again, it is not a great area now. what would you suggest to make it better?
7. Space? Clearly we need a facility that can accommodate; what other site in such a context could do that?
8. Downtown in general is where facility like this should be. No question.