HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
What are you talking about ? Seriously , do you live in some alternate Vancouver or something ? How can you look at a map and NOT notice the freeway running through the city ?
If a "tiny corner" equals about half of the Vancouver metropolitan area then I think you need to look at a dictionary .
Burnaby is not Vancouver. Surrey Is not Vancouver. Coquitlam is not Vancouver.

He doesnt live in an alternate Vancouver, he lives in VANCOUVER. No one ever said anything about Metro Vancouver. The City of Vancouver has over 600,000 people making it larger than London and there is no freeway serving the City of Vancouver, Highway 1 touches the border then turns north.

All traffic in the City of Vancouver is surface streets.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:05 PM
Keep yo pimp hand strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Burnaby is not Vancouver. Surrey Is not Vancouver. Coquitlam is not Vancouver.

He doesnt live in an alternate Vancouver, he lives in VANCOUVER. No one ever said anything about Metro Vancouver. The City of Vancouver has over 600,000 people making it larger than London and there is no freeway serving the City of Vancouver, Highway 1 touches the border then turns north.

All traffic in the City of Vancouver is surface streets.
Whatever . I'm pretty sure that people who live the area don't stop driving their cars when they reach Burnaby just so that they won't be counted as Burnaby traffic . If we're going to quibble then okay , let's quibble . Firstly , Vancouver has a freeway . Secondly , simply by virtue of it being in the city proper and having access ramps within said jurisdiction it serves local traffic . Thirdly , Granville , Cambie , and the Dunsmuir/Georgia viaducts are also freeways by definition so your contention that all Vancouver traffic is surface is flat-out wrong . Or perhaps now you'd like to debate the definition of a freeway ? Perhaps instead you'd prefer to argue that a freeway can only be used by people who live in a specific jurisdiction ?

If , on the other hand , you don't want to argue the minutiae then just admit that Vancouver has freeways since , after all , it does whether you count only the city proper or the GVRD . Of course , again , if you want to argue that Vancouver has no freeways (even though it does) on false technicalities about "local traffic" then the same applies to London which also has a freeway serving local traffic .

I am the English teacher about whom your mother warned you .

They call me Captain Goodgitch . Nobody knows why .

Last edited by Spocket; Apr 12, 2011 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 5:57 PM
Can I HELP YOU??

Some highway photos I've taken

Autoroute 5 near Wakefield, Quebec

A5 at Chelsea, Qc with Ottawa in the background

Some 417 westbound pics in Ottawa

and some others..

Quebec City

5-50 split in Gatineau.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 6:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Wow, I didn't know all you guys didn't have highways in your cities. - Even Hamilton, which is about the same size as Winnipeg, has 4 (major )highways running through it and around it. - Very scenic highways I might add as well. - The LINC, and Red Creek are very nice.
Hamilton was born because of it's geographical location, hub city. With that came the highways, trains, airport, harbourfront ports, etc.

With the completion of the Red Hill Hamilton now has a ring road, QEW, Red Hill, Linc and 403.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 6:25 PM
What could go wrong?

I know I'm in the minority here, and they kill neighborhoods, they are eyesores, cars are bad, blah, blah blah.....but i happen to like freeways. I like visiting cities that have them, i love cars, i love driving and i think they are helpful at moving traffic around (except when there is gridlock).

My perception is that it gives a area a big city feel. I know that that doesn't define a city but it is just a perception.

.....maybe it is just because my city (Winnipeg) doesn't have any.

Flame away!
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Whatever . I'm pretty sure that people who live the area don't stop driving their cars when they reach Burnaby just so that they won't be counted as Burnaby traffic . If we're going to quibble then okay , let's quibble . Firstly , Vancouver has a freeway . Secondly , simply by virtue of it being in the city proper and having access ramps within said jurisdiction it serves local traffic . Thirdly , Granville , Cambie , and the Dunsmuir/Georgia viaducts are also freeways by definition so your contention that all Vancouver traffic is surface is flat-out wrong . Or perhaps now you'd like to debate the definition of a freeway ? Perhaps instead you'd prefer to argue that a freeway can only be used by people who live in a specific jurisdiction ?

If , on the other hand , you don't want to argue the minutiae then just admit that Vancouver has freeways since , after all , it does whether you count only the city proper or the GVRD . Of course , again , if you want to argue that Vancouver has no freeways (even though it does) on false technicalities about "local traffic" then the same applies to London which also has a freeway serving local traffic .
I don't want to argue and quibble, but it appears quite clearly that you do.

All I said was that the city of Vancouver has no highway serving local traffic, I still think thats true and if you dont that's just fine by me.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 7:32 PM
Cheers!

What does that even mean, "serving local traffic"? If anyone wants to know how it is, just look at a road map to see the layout of the city. A good portion of Vancouverites will obviously connect to the highway through the McGill and 1st Ave on-ramps. So really, it does partially serve Vancouver City in that respect. But it is not in the same manner as say the I-5 in Seattle, or the 101 and Santa Ana running right beside the downtown district.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 7:50 PM

Some photos I've taken in Greater Halifax over the last couple of years;

Highway 101 near Margeson Drive interchange (Middle Sackville);

Highway 102 at Larry Uteck interchange (Bedford/Halifax);

Highway 111 near Mic Mac Parclo (widest highway in Atlantic Canada at 12 lanes);

Highway 118 at Dartmouth Crossing (only C/E system in Atlantic Canada);

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 7:53 PM
Stuffum'n'Cuffum

401 and Allen Road Toronto - News 46

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 8:02 PM
CanadiEn errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Some 417 westbound pics in Ottawa

OK, people, this picture shows the signage at the junction/exit you have to take when going from Ottawa, Canada's capital and second-largest city in Ontario, to the biggest city in Canada and Ontario's provincial capital.

Anybody notice that there is a particular word that is conspicuous by its absence on this sign?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 8:47 PM
y u no take me srsly

Considering that that interchange is in the middle of the city I don't really see a need for a sign saying where Toronto is located. You don't see Winnipeg or Kenora on directional signs here at all (example 1, 2), and Duluth doesn't appear until you get near the airport.

The lack of signs pointing to Winnipeg play a funny trick on drug smugglers from Quebec: They miss all three chances to turn to Winnipeg and don't realize that they're about the hit the US border until they see the sign about 200m away from customs. Police then see them turn around and bust them. Happens a couple times a year, though lately most drug busts have been happening up in Nipigon.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 9:00 PM

That's one thing that's definitely different in the US. There are signs for New York all over a quarter of the country.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 10:07 PM
Majestic

Some Alberta Highways...

The QE2 (Queen Elizabeth II) that runs between Calgary and Edmonton

Leg 3 - Edmonton to Calgary by Forest Edge, on Flickr

Deerfoot Trail, the only true grade-separated freeway in Calgary

Deerfoot Traffic On A Rainy Day by LostMyHeadache: Absolutely Free *, on Flickr

Glenmore Trail, an expressway that is one of Calgary's major East-West connectors

Glenmore/Elbow DSC_0378 by Ronaldok, on Flickr

16th Avenue North, another expressway/major road that is an East-West route... this is the TransCanada Highway btw

Image-10-02-08 029 by Surrealplaces, on Flickr

Highway 22 (a.k.a. the Cowboy Trail) that ambles through the foothills -- one of the most scenic highways in Alberta

Cowboy Trail by Surrealplaces, on Flickr

Highway 3 which runs along the southern parts of the province -- this particular shot is in the Crowsnest Pass

0906_0480 Rockies foothills, Alberta by wild prairie man, on Flickr

Flickr

Last edited by Boris2k7; Apr 13, 2011 at 1:32 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 11:42 PM

The 401 at its widest going through Toronto.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post

401 and Allen Road Toronto - News 46
now thats the kind of interchange i love.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
The 401 at its widest going through Toronto.

oh my God!!!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 1:26 AM
Cheers!

Looks like they could add another dozen more lanes.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 1:29 AM
Dérive-r

I would say that the highway doesn't serve local traffic in Vancouver in that someone starting their journey in Vancouver would not take the highway to get to another point within Vancouver. You technically could since there is more than one exit but there would be no reason to use it in this way for 99.9% of the population.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 1:43 AM
Stuffum'n'Cuffum

Whitford, you need to see a picture of the basketweave. I looked around for a photo and couldn't find one. That is a very amazing highway feature.

Is the 401 still the busiest highway in North America, or has the Santa Monica Freeway in Los Angeles regained its title from the T Dot?

Is there any other Canadian highway, that is as busy as the 401? In Montral perhaps?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 3:20 AM
y u no take me srsly

The 401 is basically the only east-west corridor in Toronto, which is why it is so busy. Montreal on the other hand has more freeways spread out more evenly, and it isn't pushed up against a lake, so I don't think they have any roads that are as busy as the 401. Traffic going through Montreal has more options than traffic going through the GTA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada