HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I knew I'd seen that type guard rail somewhere, then I remembered where. Parts of I-90 in New York State still use them.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...43.78,,0,14.56

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:58 AM
optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Heck, even Simcity has this kind of standard:
Actually, it didn't. The left (and apparently right) shoulderless freeway in that image is the only freeway that came with the game. The rest of those were part of a user-created expansion set made by roadgeeks. (It was originally concrete textured but the expansion that includes all those other roads changes it to asphalt.)

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 3:07 AM
User Registered

Also a big difference is the USA has a national highway system (US Highways, Interstate Freeways) whereas in Canada its provincial/territorial based. There can be a big difference between maintenance and funding between governments, which can result in a disjointed system.

Even our beloved Trans-Canada Highway system is (mostly) provincially controlled, which explains why there are different route numbers between provinces and a difference of pavement quality, design standards and safety features.

Yes I know all the highways other than the grey one above are not available in the base game, I just made that to prove a point.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 3:12 AM
Heart of the Continent

There is actually a national highway system here as well, but that doesn't mean the same thing. It does mean that parts of that highway are open to joint funding for upgrades.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 3:13 AM
Heart of the Continent

Anyway, with the medicine that it looks like Ontario is going to have to swallow, I wouldn't expect too many northern highway upgrades going forward.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 3:16 AM
User Registered

Speaking of Simcity and highways, here's a basketweave interchange I made, a distinctly Canadian invention.

(click for full size)

Yes I know there should be shoulders and medians between the express and collector lanes, but I squeezed them for compactness (so it could fit in the photo).

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 3:44 AM
The Vomit Bag.

the basket weave. Well done!

I love those comparisons of highways then and now. A great thread, that would be.
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. -Donald Rumsfeld
Didn't you notice on the plane when you started talking, eventually I started reading the vomit bag?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:05 AM

Well done ! ... I love the speed limit

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:35 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I think the worst I've had to drive on is I-75 through Cincinnati. They don't have inside shoulders either, and the highway is turning all the time.
Sounds a lot like the Don Valley Parkway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Quebec's highways are more in-line with the US Interstates whereas Ontario is more like the A-routes of the Eurozone.
I disagree. With the exception of Germany, Eurozone autoroutes tend to have very little in the way of a left shoulder, and also have ultra-compact interchanges. Quebec autoroutes mimic a lot of this, only their state of repair is worse than any European country I've seen.

Because Europeans don't buy crappy minivans and big utes, they can get away with high speeds and tight corners. Ontario is a lot more like Amurricuh; we have very generous interchanges for the most part, there are wide lefthand shoulders wherever possible, and highway banks are usually very gentle. Plus, instead of having millions of little green pylons perched on a guardrail, we have imposing concrete walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Anyway, with the medicine that it looks like Ontario is going to have to swallow, I wouldn't expect too many northern highway upgrades going forward.
Exactly what was all that money spent on? Since coming to power in 2003, the McGuinty government had built close to nothing in the way of infrastructure improvements, and now they're going to do exactly the same thing as the Big Bad Harris (just completely cancel the construction of everything). What did we get for our $200 billion?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:50 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Wait a second, here's what we got for all our money... notice the amount going into infrastructure investment and transportation:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02...oney-goes-now/

Northern Highways shouldn't be cut. The provincial government should find $4 billion in efficiencies between healthcare and education.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Sounds a lot like the Don Valley Parkway.

I disagree. With the exception of Germany, Eurozone autoroutes tend to have very little in the way of a left shoulder, and also have ultra-compact interchanges. Quebec autoroutes mimic a lot of this, only their state of repair is worse than any European country I've seen.

Because Europeans don't buy crappy minivans and big utes, they can get away with high speeds and tight corners. Ontario is a lot more like Amurricuh; we have very generous interchanges for the most part, there are wide lefthand shoulders wherever possible, and highway banks are usually very gentle. Plus, instead of having millions of little green pylons perched on a guardrail, we have imposing concrete walls.

Exactly what was all that money spent on? Since coming to power in 2003, the McGuinty government had built close to nothing in the way of infrastructure improvements, and now they're going to do exactly the same thing as the Big Bad Harris (just completely cancel the construction of everything). What did we get for our $200 billion?
Health care and education make up like 3/4 of spending, and that is where all the cuts need to be.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 8:49 PM
you go on ahead

Which is exactly what the Drummond Report is recommending.... Of course it is significantly more complicated than simply cutting services.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Ontario's highways I'd say are the closest to a US interstate but there are still glaring differences. A major one being the use of gravel shoulders. I don't think I've ever seen a gravel shoulder on an interstate. Thats purely anecdotal, I'm sure there are some out there, but I've never seen any. Alternately, in Ontario as soon as you get outside the GTA they are very prevalent.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 10:08 PM
Heart of the Continent

You won't see a gravel shoulder on the US Interstates, and probably not on the newest 400 series highways, and other Ontario freeways.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
He has built way more in the North than Harris has. See the expansion of Highway 11/17 through the Hwy 527 as well as the Mackenzie River diversion. Not to mention the Shabaqua Highway opened under the Liberal Government.

McGuinty's spending when it comes to highways in Ontario has been consistent or better than Harris'.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 1:32 AM
BANNED

Highway 402 note the gravel shoulder

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...97.84,,0,16.94

Compare that to I-90 in Minnesota ( closest metro is Sioux Falls 1.5 hours away)

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...,45.63,,0,7.14

South Dakota

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...13.06,,0,12.35

Consistency is key

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 10:20 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
He has built way more in the North than Harris has. See the expansion of Highway 11/17 through the Hwy 527 as well as the Mackenzie River diversion. Not to mention the Shabaqua Highway opened under the Liberal Government.

McGuinty's spending when it comes to highways in Ontario has been consistent or better than Harris'.
That's not really much of an excuse considering Harris based his entire political mantra on making cuts. He reduced spending and had nothing to show for it, whereas McGuinty has been completely out of control and has nothing to show for it.

The most critical Northern connections are not finished. Highway 400 is still not finished to Sudbury. There are still gaps in Highway 11 to North Bay. The 417 has been proceeding at an agonizingly slow pace. Then in the south, we have jokes like the stalling 424 and the graded but unfinished Collingwood Bypass:

McGuinty lied, highways died.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 10:48 PM

I understand they're actually very close to finishing the Highway 26 bypass and Highway 11 to North Bay (probably both will be complete this year). The Highway 400 extension is also progressing very well. They opened a divided Highway 7 extension to Carleton Place and an extension to Arnprior and are working on expanding 417 through Ottawa. They are almost complete a very large reconstruction of Highway 8 in Kitchener addressing serious bottlenecks and have significantly rebuilt Highway 401 in south-western Ontario addressing safety concerns. They are taking steps to extend Highway 407, have improved Highway 410 in the Toronto area. They are also finishing Highway 401 through Windsor. Further in Northern Ontario, they moved ahead with the Shabaqua Highway and widening Highway 17 near Thunder Bay and Kenora.

Further, whether you agree with it or not, full-day kindergarten is something that is being steadily implemented within the province and the province made serious improvements with planning legislation with the creation of the Greenbelt and Places to Grow.

I'm not saying that there isn't warranted criticism of this government, but I think it's a farce to complain they have nothing to show for all their time in power.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 11:15 PM
The Grim Reefer

The Cons outweigh the Pros tho in Transportation... I mean look at the highway 7 debacle between Kitchener and Guelph... in talks for how many decades and still 2 CMA's w/ a combined Pop of near 650,000 are connected primarily by a single 2 lane road... i mean seriously??? or the proposed highway 424 from Cambridge to Hamilton (combined CMA pop of 1.2 million)... anywhere else in Canada these would be a given...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 11:25 PM
Heart of the Continent

You have to understand, that when healthcare and education eat most of the budget, there is only so much to go around.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada