HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 9:57 PM
almost certainly

it's got a certain blade runner appeal though. until it falls on me, i like it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
You could also point out the foot-dragging on turning the TCH stretch from Rivière-du-Loup to New Brunswick into an autoroute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Indeed. There was certainly a perception that this highway would only benefit Atlantic Canada.
I work on many road projects including the 85 (the TCH stretch from Rivière-du-Loup to New Brunswick) and i just want to let you know that there is alot of work going on right now. It wont stop until this road becomes a full divided 4 lanes freeway (all interchanges) from Edmunston to Rivière-du-Loup.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 10:21 PM

I am surprised to be the first one to mention Quebec City's extensive highway system. Can't think of any other city this size that has so many highways.

North-South highways are as follow:

- Duplessis highway (A-540)
- Henri-IV highway (A-73 and further becomes A-573)
- Robert-Bourassa highway (A-740)
- Laurentienne highway (A-973)

East-West highways:

- Charest highway (A-40)
- Capitale highway (A-40 but 3km north of Charest)
- Dufferin highway (A-440)
- Jean-Lesage highway (A-20) on the south shore

You can get EVERYWHERE in this city with highways. You actually have to use one,2,3 or 4 highways to go through the entire city.

- Jean: Mais voyons ce ne sont pas des chevals, ce sont des chevaux

- La blonde: ahhh bon!...pourtant sa ressemblait a des chevals

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 1:32 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^ironic how one of the loveliest cities on the continent has soul-sucking expressways throughout (which I have traveled many times...much better condition than their Montreal counterparts)
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. -Donald Rumsfeld
Didn't you notice on the plane when you started talking, eventually I started reading the vomit bag?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 1:35 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHickman View Post
TCH outside of Saint Andrew's, Newfoundland

Photo by myself.
nice. We never see NFLD roadscapes here.
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. -Donald Rumsfeld
Didn't you notice on the plane when you started talking, eventually I started reading the vomit bag?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:30 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^ironic how one of the loveliest cities on the continent has soul-sucking expressways throughout
I don't know if it's so much ironic, or maybe it's just that people exaggerate the negative effects of expressways ("soul-sucking", really?).

Obviously it's entirely possible to have an efficient road network while still having a very beautiful city. Maybe we can learn something from this instead of being so black and white about the issue.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 12:49 PM
Libre penseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
I work on many road projects including the 85 (the TCH stretch from Rivière-du-Loup to New Brunswick) and i just want to let you know that there is alot of work going on right now. It wont stop until this road becomes a full divided 4 lanes freeway (all interchanges) from Edmunston to Rivière-du-Loup.
Yes, I know. I go by there at least once a year. Things are advancing and will be done eventually (2017? 2018?). It's taken a long time, at least when you consider how long the A-20 has been completed to Rivière-du-Loup (1960s? 1970s?). Although it is true that NB-2 was only completed as a four-lane from Edmundston to Nova Scotia a few years ago...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I don't know if it's so much ironic, or maybe it's just that people exaggerate the negative effects of expressways ("soul-sucking", really?).

Obviously it's entirely possible to have an efficient road network while still having a very beautiful city. Maybe we can learn something from this instead of being so black and white about the issue.
Quebec City is very sprawly and quite unimpressive outside the core. If I'm not mistaken, they've already partially dismantled some overpasses in the St-Roch area, but there is still a mess of roads and overpasses coming into the downtown area.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 12:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^indeed. hence my comment (they do suck the soul out of the immediate areas...unless you consider the banality of fast food chains, gasoline retailers and shopping to be full of soul). of course, you don't have to agree with my assessment. of course, I see the benefits of an efficient expressway system. But they are disproportionate to the population in Quebec city, and I imagine, thus a disproportionate drain on resources. Freeways are fantastically expensive to maintain.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 1:08 PM

Quebec City has the most kms of freeway per capita of any city in Canada, more than Toronto.

("City" doesn't include that 2,000 person town off the 401)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 1:54 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^indeed. hence my comment (they do suck the soul out of the immediate areas...unless you consider the banality of fast food chains, gasoline retailers and shopping to be full of soul). of course, you don't have to agree with my assessment. of course, I see the benefits of an efficient expressway system. But they are disproportionate to the population in Quebec city, and I imagine, thus a disproportionate drain on resources. Freeways are fantastically expensive to maintain.
Well, in the Jean Lesage-Robert Bourassa era this was all meant to be symbolic of the new Quebec. The freeways in Quebec City seemed to spare little but the area right inside the walls.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 4:45 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Yes, I know. I go by there at least once a year. Things are advancing and will be done eventually (2017? 2018?). It's taken a long time, at least when you consider how long the A-20 has been completed to Rivière-du-Loup (1960s? 1970s?). Although it is true that NB-2 was only completed as a four-lane from Edmundston to Nova Scotia a few years ago...
Right. The targeted year of completion is 2018 and i believe its feasable but well see i guess!

If you drive by this summer, youll see all the work from Cabano to the NB border. Lots of rock blasting in the mountain ahead!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 4:47 PM
Libre penseur

Quote:
Right. The targeted year of completion is 2018 and i believe its feasable but well see i guess!

If you drive by this summer, youll see all the work from Cabano to the NB border. Lots of rock blasting in the mountain ahead!
C'est toujours un plaisir de voir des panneaux routiers arborant le nom de St-Louis-du-Ha!-Ha!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:28 PM

I'd love to see some QC highway pics, some Edmonton pics, and some more Winnipeg pics. I can do some of the Winnipeg part if I come across some spots to take some shots, and Edmonton when I'm there if I spend time on the highways/freeways/expressways

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:37 PM
DRINK

edmonton

two more like this are UC and another couple in the works.

source

http://www.cdbi.org/awards/index.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 6:45 PM

ooo thats a beauty thanks SHO

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 7:39 PM

Here are the two largest interchanges u/c in Metro Vancouver right now

The very impressive Cape Horn interchange where the #1 meets Lougheed highway, United Blvd. and the Mary Hill bypass.

I hope this image isn't too large for some of you. I would bet this will be the largest interchange in western Canada when done, especially in regards to traffic volume.

Here are some pics of it being built:

And this is probably the second largest, it just started construction, where the new SFPR meets the #99.

all pics are my own

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/page2/

Cheers

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 8:30 PM

Oh yeah that looks crazy Metro - I saw that when I was in Vancouver area. Its looking like its come a ways since I last saw it though, although it was only last fall I was there

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 10:15 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
C'est toujours un plaisir de voir des panneaux routiers arborant le nom de St-Louis-du-Ha!-Ha!
Yeah, i mean, how can you be sad if you live in a place with a name like that.

Justement, le tronçon St-Louis-du-Ha!-Ha!-Cabano devrait ouvrir vers la fin de l'été je crois, si tout va bien.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah, i mean, how can you be sad if you live in a place with a name like that.
Can't actually be as much worst as living in ''Contrecoeur'' What do you think ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada