HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Coast at Lakeshore East in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 5:06 AM

Cool CHICAGO | Coast at Lakeshore East | 464 FT / 141 M | 46 FLOORS | COM

Work has begun on a 49-story Brininstool, Kerwin & Lynch design at 345 E Wacker Dr. in Lakeshore East (BKL seems to be referring to it as the "Coast at Lakeshore East" while Magellan is sticking with Building A for now). Glass with inset balconies, it looks a lot like its western neighbor, the Swissotel. Can't help but feel a little sorry for the folks living on the north side of the Tides as it's going to obstruct some great views. Seems like its going to be pretty comparable height-wise, too. As a Lakeshore East resident myself who doesn't live in the Tides though, I'm excited to see this project rise.

All images and info from BKL directly @ http://www.bklarch.com/housing/coast-lakeshore-east

Last edited by torsodog; Jun 23, 2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Misspelled Magellan

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 5:20 AM

It begins!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 7:28 AM

Damn! Chicago's on the rise again! I'm very pleased with the design and the impact it'll have on the neighborhood!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 1:51 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsodog View Post
(BKL seems to be referring to it as the "Coast at Lakeshore East" while Magellen is sticking with Building A for now).
In yesterday's Chicago Bisnow newsletter, the reporter spoke with Magellan execs at a large John Buck Co industry event last week, and apparently they too are now referring to the building as the Coast....

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:11 PM

whats the height on this one (feet) ??

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:21 PM
tilted & shifted

It's 425 feet.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 2:36 PM
BANNED

Isn't this thing already quite under-construction? Judging by the pictures posted in the rundown thread there are already caisson rigs assembled and large piles of what look like caisson drill filings all over the site.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 3:53 PM

Yeah foundation work has been well underway.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2011, 10:33 PM
Everywhere all at once

I REALLY like the design of this building. It's simplistic and sleek but still unique. It adds a little variety to the Lake Shore East condo blandness (excluding Aqua of course). I'm excited to see it rise

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 6:35 PM

49 floors and only 425'? Floors less than 9' apart (8.6735') in this day an age? Are we sure this information is accurate? As someone who has followed skyscraper construction for over a decade, my gut instinct tells me that the odds of a 425' building with 49 floors being built in the United States hovers right around 0%.....

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 6:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
49 floors and only 425'? Floors less than 9' apart (8.6735') in this day an age? Are we sure this information is accurate? As someone who has followed skyscraper construction for over a decade, my gut instinct tells me that the odds of a 425' building with 49 floors being built in the United States hovers right around 0%.....
A. Chicago is know for this, we hold many of the records for "shortest building with X floors". For example Lake Point Tower is 70 floors and only 645' tall and is the shortest building in the world with 70 floors while the Hancock is the shortest building in the world with 100 floors by almost 400'.

B. I fairly certain that a portion of the discrepancy here is that 4 or 5 floors of the total floor count exist in the LSE multi-story street limbo between "At grade" and "below grade". The 425' is from Wacker I believe while the building extends another 50' or so below the street before it actually hits dirt.

C. Don't forget this is a rental where low ceiling heights are the norm.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2011, 11:08 PM

^ this building isnt really 425 ft...i seen a quote stating its about the same height as the tides which is 498 i believe...they are measurring from wacker i believe giving the 425 figure

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
A. Chicago is know for this, we hold many of the records for "shortest building with X floors". For example Lake Point Tower is 70 floors and only 645' tall and is the shortest building in the world with 70 floors while the Hancock is the shortest building in the world with 100 floors by almost 400'.
A 1/2.
I look at this as a point of pride -- (a) Chicago was so early to the supertall game that these were probably considered generous (or at least pushing the limit financially or engineeringwise), and (b) in most other cities, buildings of 60+ stories are office-only or super luxury, whereas in Chicago today you can have 60-story residentials geared to middle-class and/or young professionals just wanting good urban housing without it having to be something gold plated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
C. Don't forget this is a rental where low ceiling heights are the norm.
C 1/2.
And not to mention is a rental by Loewenberg/Magellan, one among a certain tier of developers who commonly skimp on residential ceiling heights.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 6:13 AM

That said ... is this the shortest building (other than B37 or a hospital or something unique like that) to get its own thread in Chicago, ever? May the next boom get underway soon...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 1:56 PM
BANNED

Isn't Aqua now the shortest 80+ story building in the world?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 3:42 PM
Ex Houstonian

Austin has a few new towers that will most likely begin construction this year, Chicago is getting a couple new scrapers. Could we be seeing the beginning of a new boom finally?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 3:46 PM
The City

So does that little driveway to the west of this new building (between it and Swisshotel) actually become an official street now, or will it remain a service driveway?

I had thought that with the construction of Aqua, a new street was going to be created that connected Columbus with Wacker via an L shaped configuration

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 4:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Austin has a few new towers that will most likely begin construction this year, Chicago is getting a couple new scrapers. Could we be seeing the beginning of a new boom finally?
From what I've seen the boom in Austin hardly even paused.

In any case Chicago is definitely back in boom mode now. It won't match up to what we just saw, but the demand for housing in Chicago's popular neighborhoods and downtown continues to rise while we are about to enter a 2-3 period of absolutely no new deliveries. That is a formula for the rapid construction of new housing.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 4:03 PM
Ex Houstonian

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the revival of the spire... One can dream.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 7:26 PM
Content provider

not quite a boom by chicago standards, but there's a pulse

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive