HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 8:53 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is online now
I've got a bad reputation
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 23,351
Ridgway, PA

Ridgway (pop. 4,078) is the seat of Elk County (pop. 31,946) and has an urban cluster population of 4,705. The town is nestled in a valley along the Clarion River and US Route 219, just west of the Allegheny National Forest. Platted in 1833, Ridgway became the seat when Elk County was established in 1843 and was incorporated as a borough in 1881. The town grew during the late 1800s North-Central Pennsylvania lumber boom, and became known for its high-quality architectural millwork and large tanneries. The lumber wealth can be appreciated when walking the streets of Ridgway, whose core neighborhoods are endowed with an impressive collection of Victorian structures.























The Elk County Courthouse was built in the Second Empire style in 1880.
















corner building experienced a fire recently












The Bogert House is a former hotel. Now vacant and deteriorating, efforts are underway for rehabilitation.








This romanesque mansion was built in 1883.












Built in 1859, this is one of the oldest surviving houses in Ridgway.




Ridgway Public Library
































old Ridgway High School is now an office building


























Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh station.




former school


The O.B. Grant House in Ridgway's West End was built in 1870.


Bonifels was built in 1898 and overlooks Ridgway from the country club.


the entire length of Osterhout St. is to be demolished for a truck bypass






St. Leo's School








Ridgway YMCA (1905)


Ridgway Armory







Last edited by Evergrey; Mar 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 11:29 PM
AlphaMale AlphaMale is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 38
Very nice photo thread. I am glad that the beautiful Grand Central building has made room for a dollar store. You always seem to find very interesting viewpoints of a town such as in your first 2 shots. This takes more skill than most people would think.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 1:32 AM
pj3000's Avatar
pj3000 pj3000 is offline
Subhuman Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Juiz de Fora
Posts: 2,819
Boot Jackin' awesome!

I've always loved Ridgway. Great homes in that town, and the courthouse is a beaut.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 2:32 AM
ColDayMan's Avatar
ColDayMan ColDayMan is offline
B!tchslapping Since 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cincinnati-Dayton-Columbus
Posts: 19,105
The Metropolis of West North Central Pennsylvania.
__________________
Click the x: _ _ X _ _!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 3:48 AM
xzmattzx's Avatar
xzmattzx xzmattzx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 3,971
Nice pictures. I also liked the views of the city from the mountain. I know you're from that area so you know your way around, so it's nice to get a view that I wouldn't know how to find.

When I took pictures of Ridgway a few years ago, it was on a cold, rainy, April day. Even then some of the class showed through the dreariness of the day. Ridgway looks a lot better in the summer, especially on a golden evening.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 2:57 PM
Wheelingman04's Avatar
Wheelingman04 Wheelingman04 is offline
Pittsburgh rocks!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Salem, OH (near Youngstown)
Posts: 8,706
my favorite state never lets me down in terms of beautiful scenery, history, urban big cities (even the small towns are urban), fabulous architecture, and the vast amount of rural areas/ mountains etc to get away from it all.
__________________
1 hour from Pittsburgh and 1 hour from Cleveland
Go PITT Panthers!!
Ohio Proud!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 8:04 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is online now
I've got a bad reputation
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 23,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaMale View Post
Very nice photo thread. I am glad that the beautiful Grand Central building has made room for a dollar store. You always seem to find very interesting viewpoints of a town such as in your first 2 shots. This takes more skill than most people would think.
Thanks. I love taking those types of shots. I always try to find such "overlooks" in every town I photograph in hilly regions. Most small towns don't have an obvious overlook (a la PGH's Mount Washington), so I usually research topo maps and satellite imagery beforehand to find elevated areas of a town that may offer such views. These can often be small openings between trees on some forgotten hillside street.

As for the gorgeous Grand Central building... ughhhhh... I HATE Dollar General's signage... so obnoxious. While I tend to loathe dollar stores and regard them as an indicator of economic stress... they do carry many practical everyday products... so I suppose I can accept a dollar store occupying that building... but the signage is offensive and completely incompatible with the architecture of the district.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 8:15 PM
Expat's Avatar
Expat Expat is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Greater Boston
Posts: 3,086
Beautiful town. Nearly every pic is postcard worthy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 6:53 PM
PhillyRising's Avatar
PhillyRising PhillyRising is offline
We're Still #5!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Exton/West Chester, PA
Posts: 11,420
I finally get to see Ridgway. My friend Jackie from college who now lives with her husband and kids in Wisconsin just came back from there the other day.

Go Elkers!!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 7:05 PM
the pope's Avatar
the pope the pope is offline
not cleavefied
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: A City Without Nelson
Posts: 3,967
i like the middle of nowhere. purdy homes, and nice tour.
__________________
--SSP's 10th Kewlest Forumer of 2004
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 4:30 PM
Thundertubs's Avatar
Thundertubs Thundertubs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 2,910
Another awesome PA small town. I also like how you manage to start every thread with a contextual overlook photo.
__________________
Be magically whisked away to
Pacific NW | Montana | Vancouver, BC | Seattle, WA | Jersey City, NJ | Newark, NJ | Birmingham, AL | Butte, MT | Rockford, IL | Hoboken, NJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2011, 3:20 AM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is online now
I've got a bad reputation
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 23,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post

Go Elkers!!!!
gag me with a spoon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 1:45 AM
Robert Pence's Avatar
Robert Pence Robert Pence is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 4,301
Most impressive town and photos. There seems to be a significant collection of mostly-intact historic commercial facades, something that's rare nowadays.
__________________
Getting thrown out of railroad stations since 1979!

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 4:48 PM
MARCOLIVIO MARCOLIVIO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1
Thanks for the pictorial essay. I grew up in Ridgway in the 1950's and 60's and haven't seen these sites in (37) years. What a great place to have lived if you liked the out of doors. Speaking of doors... back then you didn't even lock the doors to your home when you left town...it was that safe! Certain areas of the town, the more modest homes of Depot Street/ Allenhurst Avenue (where I lived), seem to have deteriorated much, according to your pictures, in those (37) years. Though modest in comparison to the homes pictured up town, they were maintained in immaculate condition... and that's sad to see. I'd like to make one correction/ addition to your work regarding the comment about the "Romanesque mansion... built in 1883... located at the base of Boot Jack Mountain....an out-of-control truck smashed into the structure in the 1950s". In fact, the "Hyde mansion" (pictured) was not the mansion that was struck by the out-of-control truck. The mansion struck and destroyed by the truck in the 1950's was the "Murphy mansion". Similar in architecture, it was located directly across Main Street from the Hyde mansion. Being on the lower side of the road, as Boot Jack curved onto Main Street, it was the natural path for runaway trucks coming down Boot Jack Hill. I know this to be true because I heard the loud "boom" that Saturday morning when the truck crash happened. I was playing outside, not far from the crash site, and ran to the scene as quickly as I could. As a young boy I was fascinated for the rest of the day by the spectacle of the Ridgway Fire Department fighting the conflagration that ensued. Unfortunately, the great mansion was totally destroyed to be replaced by a smaller modern structure where Mr. Murphy lived out his life. Ultimately the home was turned over to the nearby Catholic Church. Thanks again... these pics are a real treat. MJM

Last edited by MARCOLIVIO; Mar 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM. Reason: adding information
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2013, 7:38 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin in the Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pgh
Posts: 10,358
Beautiful town! Really great business district and an impressive collection of Victorian style houses.

Is there a large rivalry between Ridgwayers and St Maryians? Animosity, hate, drive by shootings? That type of thing.
__________________
Check out the newest developments in the Burgh. Pittsburgh Rundown II

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 3:58 PM
photoLith's Avatar
photoLith photoLith is online now
Ex Houstonian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Millvale, Pittsburgh
Posts: 7,874
Looks like a real nice little town. I love how the dollar general went in the old building instead of building a tin sided thing on the outskirts of the town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 4:29 PM
rack776 rack776 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Between Philly & NYC
Posts: 98
Cool town, the old buildings in good condition remind me of a model train layout except in full size, Also kind of reminds me Cooperstown NY, with the large collection of Victorian buildings, Thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 7:35 PM
Evergrey's Avatar
Evergrey Evergrey is online now
I've got a bad reputation
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 23,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOLIVIO View Post
Thanks for the pictorial essay. I grew up in Ridgway in the 1950's and 60's and haven't seen these sites in (37) years. What a great place to have lived if you liked the out of doors. Speaking of doors... back then you didn't even lock the doors to your home when you left town...it was that safe! Certain areas of the town, the more modest homes of Depot Street/ Allenhurst Avenue (where I lived), seem to have deteriorated much, according to your pictures, in those (37) years. Though modest in comparison to the homes pictured up town, they were maintained in immaculate condition... and that's sad to see. I'd like to make one correction/ addition to your work regarding the comment about the "Romanesque mansion... built in 1883... located at the base of Boot Jack Mountain....an out-of-control truck smashed into the structure in the 1950s". In fact, the "Hyde mansion" (pictured) was not the mansion that was struck by the out-of-control truck. The mansion struck and destroyed by the truck in the 1950's was the "Murphy mansion". Similar in architecture, it was located directly across Main Street from the Hyde mansion. Being on the lower side of the road, as Boot Jack curved onto Main Street, it was the natural path for runaway trucks coming down Boot Jack Hill. I know this to be true because I heard the loud "boom" that Saturday morning when the truck crash happened. I was playing outside, not far from the crash site, and ran to the scene as quickly as I could. As a young boy I was fascinated for the rest of the day by the spectacle of the Ridgway Fire Department fighting the conflagration that ensued. Unfortunately, the great mansion was totally destroyed to be replaced by a smaller modern structure where Mr. Murphy lived out his life. Ultimately the home was turned over to the nearby Catholic Church. Thanks again... these pics are a real treat. MJM
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad you enjoyed these pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Beautiful town! Really great business district and an impressive collection of Victorian style houses.

Is there a large rivalry between Ridgwayers and St Maryians? Animosity, hate, drive by shootings? That type of thing.
St. Marys is much larger than Ridgway... so there's no "rivalry" there. The rivalry is between Ridgway and Johnsonburg, 7 miles to its north.

However, there is a football rivalry between my alma mater Elk County Catholic Crusaders (located in St. Marys) and Ridgway Area Elkers. It was pretty heated in the 90s when both teams were successful.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2013, 8:31 PM
Austinlee's Avatar
Austinlee Austinlee is offline
Chillin in the Burgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pgh
Posts: 10,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
However, there is a football rivalry between my alma mater Elk County Catholic Crusaders (located in St. Marys) and Ridgway Area Elkers. It was pretty heated in the 90s when both teams were successful.

I would imagine the excitement was palpable.
__________________
Check out the newest developments in the Burgh. Pittsburgh Rundown II

"Even Old New York was once New Amsterdam"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2013, 8:03 AM
AJW's Avatar
AJW AJW is offline
hemelschraper
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Groningen, Netherlands, EU
Posts: 524
Thanks for the tour Evergrey! Such wonderful architecture, I love the vibe of this place, also makes me wonder what the surroundings look like.
__________________
- Excuse me while I kiss the sky
***
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
   
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:38 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.