HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Seventy Two Madison in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 6:59 PM
BANNED

Smile NEW YORK | 172 Madison Ave | 450 FT | 31 FLOORS

CIM, the new force in NYC, has bought the site located at 172-174 Madison on which the buildings were razed and an attractive 33 floor condo/hotel was planned.

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...on-avenue-site

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 7:08 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I doubt the design will be retained, but FWIW the old design does look rather nice.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 9:51 PM

Looks like a 3 WTC + NY Times Tower combo. I like this building.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 9:57 PM

If this design is built it will be sad that its architect Frank Williams wont be around to see it.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 10:18 PM
BANNED

I agree.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 12:05 AM
BROOKLYN

Have to agree. I like it.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 3:09 AM
BANNED

This alternative design also appears on SLCE's website.

I like it too.

I hope that the block to the south gets redeveloped too.

http://www.slcearch.com/hospitality-...nt/madison-33/

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 3:16 AM

Now that second design is just...silly...

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 3:44 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I find the alternative design acceptable too. Not as advanced, but still has a decent massing.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 8:17 AM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
I find the alternative design acceptable too. Not as advanced, but still has a decent massing.

I really like the setbacks on this alternate design. It would be hard for me to choose one over the other. I guess either would do just fine.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 4:46 PM

It would be cooler if they designed an modern art deco mast on the top of the building.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 8:36 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Vacant 172 Madison Avenue site will get 31-story building, after all
By: Joyce Chen January 21, 2014

Image: GMAP

Quote:
Permits have come ashore for 172 Madison Avenue, which real estate investor Yitzchak Tessler rescued from foreclosure.

Tessler is partnering with the parcel landowner, NMP Group, to develop a 31-story, 67-unit building at the vacant site on the corner of East 33rd Street.

The architect of record is Karl Fischer, according to the plan exam application filed January 17th. The 129,442-square-foot building will have ground-floor retail, bike storage and a fitness room with pool, saunas and changing room. The 30th and 31st floors will be occupied by a duplex.

NMP Group acquired the site and several neighboring parcels in 2007, with plans to build a residential and hotel development. After the firm defaulted on its loan, Los Angeles-based CIM Group purchased the $29 million mortgage and initiated foreclosure proceedings, according to The Real Deal. In 2013, Tessler paid off the debt and fees owed to CIM in a transaction worth at least $55 million, Crain’s reported.
Permit:
Occupancy Classification: R-2 - RESIDENTIAL: APARTMENT HOUSES
Building Height (ft.): 394
Building Stories: 31
Dwelling Units: 67

NEW YORK | 172 Madison Ave | 394 FT | 31 FLOORS

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 11:18 PM
Show me the blueprints

Another Hot Karl?!? Does this dude work for minimum wage?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 9:05 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

The Real Deal:

Tessler lines up $140M financing for NoMad condo project
Construction on 70-unit tower to launch in June

May 07, 2014 04:55PM
By Julie Strickland

Quote:
Developer Yitzchak Tessler secured approximately $141 million in financing for a planned condominium development at 172 Madison Avenue, The Real Deal has learned.

Boutique advisory firm Maverick Capital arranged the high-leverage construction loan, which accounts for roughly 85 percent of the projects total projected cost of $160 million, Managing Partner Adi Chugh told The Real Deal.

“Yitzchak is known for buying stuff way below market — he doesn’t get swayed by most people who say ‘I can sell everything for $3,000 per square a foot,” Chugh said. “He is very realistic in his buys, which makes him sleep well at night and makes financing attractive for lenders.”

Tessler confirmed that plans for the 110,000-square-foot site call for a condominium tower at least 40 stories high with 70 units — a slight uptick from the previously reported 31-story, 67-unit plan exam details. The property will offer a mix of one-, two-, three- and four-bedroom units, though an exact breakdown has not yet been determined. There will be six penthouse units as well, each roughly 4,000 square feet with 18-foot high ceilings, and featuring 360-degree views. The other apartment units will have 11-foot ceilings, Tessler said. Building amenities, to be situated on two basement floors, are to include a “long” swimming pool, gym, recreation room, bicycle room, storage and a pet wash room.

Construction is slated to kick off in June, and is scheduled for completion within 24 months.

Tessler bought the 110,000-square-foot site at the corner of Madison Avenue and 33rd Street in September for $55 million out of a bankruptcy sale. The developer agreed to pay off debt and fees owed to CIM Group, which had previously partnered with NMP with a deal to develop the site. NMP bought the site in 2007 but fell into default by 2011.
NEW YORK | 172 Madison Ave | FT | 40+ FLOORS

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 5:45 PM
BANNED

I hope they're keeping the design from 2011. It has a nice facade and good proportions (slender+gradual setbacks)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:03 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Height Increase: NEW YORK | 172 Madison Ave | 450 FT | 31 FLOORS

=========================

Semi-Revealed: 172 Madison Avenue

Quote:
172 Madison Avenue has seen several proposals come and go, but now, drawings have finally been posted for the future 31-story building, which sits just above 33rd Street. Permits, partially approved earlier this month, list Karl Fischer as the architect of record, and Yitzchak Tessler as the developer. The images come courtesy of a tipster, who notes that excavation has also begun.

In total, the tower will span 129,442 square feet, including a 4,523 square foot commercial component. The remainder will be split between 67 residences, and with floor-plans averaging approximately 2,000 square feet, condominiums would appear to be likely.

172 Madison Avenue is located in a prime corridor for new construction, just to the north of 160 Madison Avenue, which recently topped-out. Tessler’s building will be of a slightly smaller scale, but the design for 172 should be more appealing from a pedestrian perspective. A short base manages to keep the street-wall semi-intact, and setbacks for the bulk of the tower are minor. Zoning diagrams illustrate additional facade details, though intricacies have yet to be fully illuminated by actual renderings.

Quote:
172 Madison’s highest occupied floor will stand 391 feet tall, while the tower’s mechanicals — which surround a rooftop pool — will extend the pinnacle to just shy of 450 feet. Ceiling heights will start at 11 feet, increasing to 18 feet for the top five floors.
=============================
http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/09/l-i...rd-avenue.html

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 2:21 PM

Revealed: 172 Madison Avenue, 37 Stories of Karl Fischer-Designed Condos

NIKOLAI FEDAK
FEBRUARY 5TH 2015

172 Madison Avenue, image by Karl Fischer Architects

Quote:
Back in September, YIMBY covered the first drawings posted for the revival of 172 Madison Avenue, a long-stalled site in Midtown on the northwest corner of Madison and 33rd Street. In the years since plans were initially conceived, another 42-story tower has already risen across the street, at 160 Madison Avenue.

Now it finally seems like 172 Madison Avenue is also about to begin rising, and YIMBY has the first rendering for the 31-story and 391-foot tall tower. Karl Fischer is the architect, while Yitzhak Tessler is the developer, and the building will span 129,442 square feet, with 4,523 square feet set aside for ground-floor retail. The remainder will be divided between 63 condominiums, averaging nearly 2,000 square feet apiece. Rooftop mechanicals boost the building’s height to just shy of 450 feet.

The new version of 172 Madison is a glassy departure from past conceptions for the site, which sits an an awkward crossroads. The site is just to the north and west of the increasingly desirable NoMad and Park Avenue South corridors, but also only one block southeast of the Empire State Building, and definitely feels much more like Midtown than either of the aforementioned areas.

Perhaps this explains the awkward design for the building. Next door, 160 Madison Avenue is an exercise in glassy banality, and 172 Madison will echo its neighbor in a similarly unattractive fashion, again offering a tower that is designed as if it’s completely separate from the podium it is perched upon.

While the façade is not bad, the massing is problematic, and the tower’s envelope is awkwardly broken by balconies that perforate the upper floors. The result is a mess, and while 172 Madison is not as uniformly offensive as 160 Madison, its low points are just as bad.

Despite its faults, the interiors will likely be spectacular, and ceilings will average 11 feet on lower floors, increasing to a very lofty 18 feet on the top five levels. Completion is likely by 2016.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 2:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Not the worst thing I've seen.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 12:19 AM

It looks fine, but they've got to use quality, clear glass.

Otherwise it'll look like another cheap-looking Chelsea Stratus.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 2:26 AM
don't *meddle*...

Plans Revealed for Residential High-Rise at 172 Madison, New York City

CTBUH Global News
New York City, United States – 06 March 2015

Quote:
New York City-based Tessler Developments has unveiled the designs and plans for 172 Madison, its latest offering to the Manhattan residential landscape.

According to Tessler, every feature, service, and amenity of the 34-floor glass tower has been tailored to fit the genuine needs and “wish list” items of the current Manhattan condominium buyer.

Located in the trendy NoMad area, while being situated directly on historic, prestigious Madison Avenue, the upscale condominium will feature 69 units, split between 17 one-bedrooms of around 900 square feet (84 square meters) each, 40 two-bedrooms of about 1,500 square feet (140 square meters) each, six three-bedrooms around 2,150 square feet (200 square meters), as well as the Sky House, Mansion, and four penthouses.

Architect Karl Fischer and interior designer Shamir Shah, who both have worked with Tessler on previous projects 150 Nassau and 260 Park Avenue South, designed the building to be “a modern interpretation of the neighborhood’s rich history.” The tower is being constructed on a solid concrete base, with vertical stone columns punctuating the glass façade.

“My inspiration for this building was the glamour – not to mention the understated elegance – of the mansions that lined Madison Avenue in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The key challenge was to capture the feel of, on the one hand, a rich and iconic history, and on the other, the spirit of an incredibly alive and vibrant neighborhood, one with more restaurants, fashion, and energy than perhaps any other part of a city, which itself is known for its dynamism,” said Karl Fischer, the architect.

The ground floor is designed with two retail spaces. Residences begin on the third floor, and the one- and two-bedroom units begin on the fourth floor.

Special features of the Mansion, Sky House, and penthouses will be revealed soon, but Tessler Developments did disclose a few special touches made with the end user’s satisfaction in mind: Every unit is a corner unit, which was made possible by laying out the homes with careful forethought, keeping each floor to a maximum of three homes, the developers say; every unit has a powder room, allowing for privacy while entertaining. Additionally, every bedroom has an en suite bath.

The sales office, next door to the construction site, will open in mid-March. Occupancy is expected in late 2016.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive