HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 21, 2012, 11:30 PM

The Kavanaugh (222 Beechwood Ave) | ??m |? fl | U/C

Here's an article from Vanier Now about a proposed development by Domicile on Beechwood.

Quote:
The Future of 222 Beechwood Avenue

It has been rumoured, for several years now, that Kavanaugh's Esso Service Centre on Beechwood Avenue, on Vanier’s northern edge, would be demolished and replaced by a condo project that includes ground floor commercial space. With Domicile having submitted to the City an application for a zoning by-law amendment, the detailed plans for the proposed 132 unit c-shaped building can now be viewed on the City of Ottawa’s website (click here to download the planning document; 2MB). The irregular shaped lot and protected views of Parliament from Beechwood cemetery force a creative design solution that needs to balance compliance with city guidelines developed for ‘traditional mainstreets' (download here), the integrity of the adjacent neighbourhoods and the need to make a profit. Has Domicile succeeded?
http://www.vaniernow.blogspot.com/20...beechwood.html

Here's the link for the planning rationale:

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...0Rationale.PDF

Last edited by kevinbottawa; Jan 22, 2012 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 12:04 AM

Not blown away by the style or colour of the thing, but all right I guess.

The problem with nearby residents, of course, won't be the style or colour, but simply and only the height. I can hear the howls of protest now.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Not blown away by the style or colour of the thing, but all right I guess.

The problem with nearby residents, of course, won't be the style or colour, but simply and only the height. I can hear the howls of protest now.
This is Vanier, not Bitchissippi.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 10:42 PM

Vanier, maybe - but it's close to New Edinburgh - maybe some people would be able to see this building if they stood on their roofs in the middle of winter. What about their quality of life?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Vanier, maybe - but it's close to New Edinburgh - maybe some people would be able to see this building if they stood on their roofs in the middle of winter. What about their quality of life?
It might also cast a shadow, early in a December morning, across the street in Rockcliffe.

But still: not Bitchisippi.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 4:39 AM

Quote:
protected views of Parliament from Beechwood cemetery
Seriously? Some things in this city make me shake my head.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:37 AM

sight lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
The Tommy Douglas memorial has a direct view to Parliament Hill. Check it out.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 2:12 PM

Quote:
I have no problem with protected views. Protected views is how parliament's prominence should be done, instead of making everything short! The views of the tower are one of the really cool things as you wind along Beechwood avenue.

These views are from among other things the National Military Cemetery. Beechwood was also designated the national cemetery of Canada (or what something to that effect). It is effectively a quasi-federal site.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2012, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Seriously. The Beechwood axis has one of the few views (from one angle, quite arresting) of the Hill. Good that it's being protected.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 12:40 AM

Similar to postings I made on Domicile projects, Claridge is less forthright on the web site regarding sales. By standing on the street looking into the sales office and counting the red dots and using their web site I came up with approximate sales numbers only. I did not double check. It was a quick visual inspection.

CP 3:

Total units: 226
Total unsold: aprox. 46
Percentage sales: approx. 80%

CP 4

Total Units: 229
Total sales: approx. 40
percentage sales: 17%

I suspect when they get to ground level CP 4 maybe delayed on the tower build until they get more sales.

Last edited by Marcus CLS; Feb 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spelling error

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 6:33 AM

Interesting...Is this sign that the condo market is slowing down, or simply that CP4 is a long way away?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Interesting...Is this sign that the condo market is slowing down, or simply that CP4 is a long way away?
CP4 was always supposed to be built after CP3.

That said they have also built quite a lot of the Claridge Plaza type condos in that area along with some of the other competing developments up on Besserer.

I don't know if I would say the whole condo market is slowing down, but you have to think at some point you start to saturate one particular location. Also, the CP's, in my thinking, were never a great location to begin with. It is close to alots of things but it is surrounded by truck and rush hour route on all sides. Quebec bound traffic even cuts though the parking where Galleria II's sales hut is as if they saturating every street in the neighbourhood wasn't enough

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 4:05 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:41 AM

revisions?

Citing feedback on the design proposal, Domicile earlier postponed a public consultation on the development -- indicating that they would present to the community when the revisions were complete. A consultation has been rescheduled for mid-month. Curious to hear what kinds of revisions might have been made!

http://vaniernow.blogspot.com/2012/0...beechwood.html

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
CP4 was always supposed to be built after CP3.

That said they have also built quite a lot of the Claridge Plaza type condos in that area along with some of the other competing developments up on Besserer.

I don't know if I would say the whole condo market is slowing down, but you have to think at some point you start to saturate one particular location. Also, the CP's, in my thinking, were never a great location to begin with. It is close to alots of things but it is surrounded by truck and rush hour route on all sides. Quebec bound traffic even cuts though the parking where Galleria II's sales hut is as if they saturating every street in the neighbourhood wasn't enough
I think certain areas are slowing down in condo sales as other areas heat up - the downtown core and byward market areas are a pain to drive in and out of, any view (aside from the penthouse levels) are typically blocked or will be blocked by up-coming buildings, and due to the high costs of buying land in those areas, the quality of condos aren't the best when you compare them to New Edinborough, Little Italy, etc...

Also, with the shift in the demographic of condo buyers (it used to mainly be young professionals with little savings and less income buying conods, it's now more wealthy young professionals and baby boomers with large homes to sell buying condos) the minimum standard that buyers are accepting is inceasing - and the CP project is built to a sub-par standard at best.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 12:56 AM

Grete Hale urges council to vote against Beechwood condo project...

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this article.

Quote:
Grete Hale urges council to vote against Beechwood condo project that would block sightlines of Parliament Hill

By Maria Cook, The Ottawa Citizen March 16, 2012 8:10 PM

OTTAWA — One of Ottawa’s most respected community leaders is urging Ottawa city councillors to vote against a zoning change to allow a 10-storey building on Beechwood Avenue, arguing that it will impede a view of Parliament Hill from Beechwood Cemetery.

Grete Hale, chair of the Beechwood Cemetery Foundation, wrote Mayor Jim Watson and city council last Monday on a proposal for 222 Beechwood Ave. in Vanier, currently Kavanaugh’s Esso station.

“One of Beechwood Cemetery’s distinguishing characteristics is its picturesque view of Ottawa, most notably an unobstructed view of the Parliament buildings,” she wrote, on behalf of the cemetery board and staff.

“We are particularly adverse to plans for exceeding current height limits at the site,” she wrote. “We urge Ottawa city council to deny any zoning change that impedes or otherwise adversely impacts the symbiotic relationship between Parliament Hill and Beechwood Cemetery.”

The cemetery, established in 1873, is a national historic site and home of the National Military Cemetery and the RCMP National Memorial Cemetery.

Among those buried there are former governor general Ray Hnatyshyn, former prime minister Sir Robert Borden, Father of Confederation William McDougall, former NDP leader Tommy Douglas, engineer Sir Sandford Fleming, poets Archibald Lampman and Duncan Campbell Scott, lumber baron John R. Booth, as well as 26 former mayors of Ottawa.

Domicile Developments will present a revised set of plans at a public meeting on Monday at 6.30 p.m. Trillium Elementary School, 135 Alice St. in Vanier.

The builder is proposing a mixed-use condominium building with four and 10-storey sections containing 132 units and street-level retail. The U-shaped building with a courtyard facing Beechwood is to have a total floor area of about 11,000 square metres and a maximum height of 34 metres.

Zoning allows a maximum of 20 metres or about six storeys. Domicile has filed a rezoning application, expected to go before the city’s planning committee this summer.

Hale notes that Ottawa’s official plan speaks of “protecting the visual integrity and symbolic primacy of the Parliament Buildings and other national symbols.”

In 2008 the city adopted a zoning amendment for the protection of views of Parliament Hill from two points in Beechwood Cemetery — the Tommy Douglas Memorial and Poet’s Hill.

Roger Boult, chief operating officer of Beechwood Cemetery, said the development would “jeopardize that view and we are quite concerned.”

“222 Beechwood is very close to the cemetery. It would be front and centre in your face. It would be extremely close to your eye as you’re looking to Parliament Hill.”

However, architect Rod Lahey says that the building does not encroach on the view plane, which slices on a diagonal through the site. “Everything to do with the view plane, we were complying with totally.”

The portion of the building which falls within the sightline to Parliament Hill was originally designed to be six storeys. It is now four storeys, giving “greater protection to the view plane,” he said. Where it was 2.5 centimetres below the view plane before, is now is almost three metres below the view plane, he said.

As well, the 10-storey building height has been reduced from 37 metres to 34 metres and is about 372 square metres smaller. The changes had to do with making the building fit better on the site, he said.

The development is on the south side of Beechwood, which is Vanier. Across the street on the north side is the Rockcliffe Park heritage conservation district.

The Rockcliffe Park residents association has expressed concerns.

In a letter to the city’s planning department last month, association president Brian Dickson said the Beechwood community design plan, “envisages low-rise mixed-use buildings on the southeast side of this part of Beechwood.”

Ten storeys, almost double what the plan calls for, would set an unwelcome precedent for future buildings along Beechwood, he said.

“Any such increase would be seriously detrimental to that part of Rockcliffe, particularly to the single-family properties behind the row facing Beechwood.”

However, the Vanier community association is not concerned with the extra height requested, said vice-president Elaine Leger.

“We’re happy to have Domicile building in Vanier,” she said. “It could bring life back on Beechwood and life to the businesses. It’s all good.”

In an email, Vanier city councillor Mathieu Fleury said he was “very excited to see new development on Beechwood. I am hopeful that this will trigger other sites to redevelop.”

The site includes 222 Beechwood Ave., 9 Marquette Ave., and 8 Jolliet Ave., which form a rectangular parcel bounded by Beechwood, Marquette, and Jolliet avenues.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...811/story.html

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 12:58 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this article.
Wont someone think of the dead people?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 3:03 PM

I'm in support of protecting the sightlines at Beechwood, but I thought they had already put it into consideration when they designed this building.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 3:18 PM

When I read the article this morning, I thought of the "What is wrong with Ottawans" thread in this forum and its comments about people complaining about everything. In this case, if the starting point is that saving the sightlines from the Beechwood grounds has been agreed (I believe it has) then the Domicile proposal would either interfere with the sightlines or it would not. Instead of answering that basic question, the Citizen piece leaves the impression, despite quotes from the architect for "balance", that it will, quoting people who may or may not know. This will pretty much guarantee complaints and controversy (and as we have already seen generate comments about preserving views for dead people, which will really help the discussion along).

So to answer your question about what I think of the article, I'd have to say "not much".

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 5:05 PM
Awesome!

Definitely, if they can have this built ( there are many other better views of the site of our inept politicians) and have that really nasty eyesore at MacKay Ave fixed, that will definitely bring more life on that corridor.
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa