HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 25, 2012, 12:17 AM

Nuovo (514-532 Rochester St) | 58.5m | 18fl | Approved

Here's Domicile's proposal for an 18-storey condo at the corner of Rochester and Pamilla.
It has three townhouses facing Pamilla and storefronts facing Rochester.
Interestingly, the land is directly next to the office of Domicile's lead architect for the project.

Full article (courtesy of Darwin): http://www.westsideaction.com/condom...cile-joins-in/

View from Rochester and Carling...

View from Pamilla...

Last edited by PokerPukka; Sep 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Added height to title

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 6:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I think it's ridiculous that they had to setback the 3rd to 6th floors along Rochester just to maintain the required distance from the hydro wires. Bury the darn things already! Then they could increase the floorspace on those units and improve their view. Would you want to buy one of those units having all that wiring right outside your window? Holy EMF batman.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2012, 1:31 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Another great overview of the area showing all the active and likely upcoming proposals:

from http://www.westsideaction.com

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 11:30 PM

Further to a comment I placed on the general update / rumour thread the sales centre under construction at 495 Preston street is Domicile. It must be for the Rochester location.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 11:36 PM

I forgot about this one. With most of Domiciles buildings nearly complete or U/C, I guess it is time to launch a new one.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 11:46 PM

John Doran mentioned this one when he spoke at Creative Mornings. He called it "Nuvo" (not sure about the spelling). He said whatever's planned for the ground level will be Paris inspired. Maybe a coffee shop or something. He didn't specify.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
John Doran mentioned this one when he spoke at Creative Mornings. He called it "Nuvo" (not sure about the spelling). He said whatever's planned for the ground level will be Paris inspired. Maybe a coffee shop or something. He didn't specify.
I sure hope the guy doesn't consider Bridgehead, Starbucks or God forbid a Tim's, as Paris inspired.

Anyway, other than a coffee shop, I can't figure out what could be Paris inspired. An LCBO (wine)? a bakery? cheese? art nouveau?

Can't think of anything Paris inspired that would be unique to Ottawa.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 2:11 AM

Parisians have been known to walk down the street to buy groceries and booze.

That is the Parisian flair I would like to see injected into the woefully underserviced Carling-Preston area. They need to talk grocery!

(and booze!)

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 2:58 AM

Here's a more recent (but still "early"-stage) rendering of what Domicile has planned for this place (It was on the Citizen website apparently back in May):

(via Ottawa Citizen)

I'm not a fan of the orange...or the yellow...I think I'd like it better if the orange was black. Anyway, we'll see if it stays that way...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
I'm not a fan of the orange...or the yellow...I think I'd like it better if the orange was black. Anyway, we'll see if it stays that way...
but Orange is the New Black!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjhall View Post
but Orange is the New Black!
I walked right into that one!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 3:39 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Domicile's proposed development is for an 18-storey (58.223 m) mixed-use building containing commercial uses at grade and residential apartment units above, featuring an indoor / outdoor amenity space on the roof. In total, the building will contain approximately 127 apartment units, two (2) guest suites, and 362.32 m2 (3,900 sq. ft.) of leasable commercial space. The residential tower entrance will be located at the intersection of Rochester and Pamilla Streets, and will be set back substantially to accommodate a 59 m2 (635 sq. ft.) pedestrian plaza. Entrances to the commercial spaces will be directly off of Pamilla and Rochester Streets Three (3) levels of underground parking will be provided for the development.

Planning docs:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9JQYMC

Here are the latest renderings (April 2, 2013):

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 4:24 AM

The old renderings looked a lot better. It's too bad at ground level, but overall it's not great. Maybe the design review panel butchered it.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 11:49 AM

It's still in the early stages.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 11:50 AM

I agree, the old renders looked better...

The building still looks good and it ok/nice artchitecturally but I just really don't like that bright orange...

If I would live here I would feel like I am walking into a traffic cone at night.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 11:55 AM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
The old renderings looked a lot better. It's too bad at ground level, but overall it's not great. Maybe the design review panel butchered it.
I disagree - I much prefer the new design, it's less like a typical glass condo. I like the colour too (at least the redish part, the lighter orange I'm less sure about). Ottawa could use a little more colour!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
I disagree - I much prefer the new design, it's less like a typical glass condo. I like the colour too (at least the redish part, the lighter orange I'm less sure about). Ottawa could use a little more colour!
That is true.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
How about we get Toronto's 592 Sherbourne Street condos for the orange and red colouring?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 4:21 PM

The Toronto building is damn nice and if it would go somewhere in Ottawa, it would be in this area.

That said, I like both versions of the actual proposal; the first version needs more colour and the second needs more sculpting.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
That is true.
hear hear!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > SSP: Local Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa